cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Got hit with strong cravings early this am...I think NML timetable may be different for

cheyenne7
0 13 17

serial quitters...any thoughts on this??

I know I'm not alone in being a multi-time quitter...

This past year I quit many times...the longest was 48-50 days(this year)...less than 3 months later, I'm on 23 days...

With my quitting experience over the years...I've come to the conclusion that the NML timetable is different for those of us who have been in and out of our quits within short periods of time...

At least for me, this appears to be the case...

Would love to hear your take on this...

13 Comments
klv

I believe NML and every other mile is different for everyone. As an example, my 1st 3 weeks were a breeze when they were supposed to be the toughest. Milestones are a checkpoint in time. A reference point to the masses.

If you have quit many times recently and failed....what happened? Ask yourself what can you do differently this time to make it your final quit? I found how I talk to myself is key.

I know you can do it. I believe in you. 23 days is awesome!

KLV

cheyenne7

I hear ya, you are right...

I had a quit of 23 months once that I thought was easy...no NML or anything, then I picked them up again...

I've had quits of 23 hours that I thought were Hell, go figure...

I had a lot of deaths in 2013, and a couple of close calls with loved ones too...The year was one of the worst, I'm surprised I had any days quit...

It was only my seer determination to quit that kept me trying...

Cigarettes are in my past now...I'm determined to see this thru...I just was thinking that I may be in NML early due to my recent quits

But you are right, everybody's quit can be somewhat different, and may I add to that--that each quit that us serial quitters experience can be different from the previous quits...

I think too much sometimes...lol

cheyenne7

Thanks Poly...yup, relapse is a real fear...

For me, once I make it pass 23 months, I will feel like I hit the milestone I need to hit to feel like I've made it...

That's a long way off...so for now, I'm just concentrating on this being my forever quit...

Thanks for your support guys!!

LouiseR

I blew a quit of 14 and 1/2 months 4 years ago.  I know the reason why is because I didn't prepare myself I didn't do any reading thought I would just quit with willpower.  Felt the whole time like I was giving something up.

This quit is my forever quit.  I found this site, I prepared, I did all the reading and still do.  Its hard to explain but I feel so different.  Sure I got alot of craves at first and still get them here and there now but I don't smoke, smoking never did a darn thing for me.

I choose not to smoke, I choose to kick the nicodemon to the curb, I choose to breath, I choose life and you can too!!

cheyenne7

My long quit was done reading Allen Carr's book...it was like a miracle for me, quit for 23 months without giving it a second thought...then I had one & the rest is history...

I think my fear is here because I did pick it up again and it was quite out of the blue, sure there were problems going on, but I didn't need to smoke...

Point is I did and that reawoken the addiction...

I'm just saying that urges can come for different people at different times...and whether the urges are at 5 days, 3 weeks, 4 months or 3 years...it's very important to remember not to smoke...always remind yourself that you're a non-smoker...

My mistake I believe was not to do this & so the door (unbeknownst to me) was left open...the "I'm a non-smoker" "I don't do that" thoughts must be wired into the brain, so that long quits aren't blown...

JonesCarpeDiem

merge the urge make it one

then look it in the face and say

i'm done

i'm done

i'm done

i won

newlife5

i agree... i beleive that the most important thing a person can do is embrace the not one puff ever mantra... ause it doesnt matter how long you have been quit one puff and you will be right back where you started...

its not about NML OR THE nicodemon... its about not letting any nicotine back into your blood stream...

we are addicts and the law of addiction states..."Administration of a drug to an addict will cause re-establishment of chemical dependence

we have to accept this

joyeuxencore

You have got this friend! NML is a guideline...addiction is a stark uncompromising reality and you do NOT have to smoke even if you want to. Bottom line. It is our choice! Every time...all the time. xo

Stac2

You can do this!  NML is very personal to everyone.  Mine went all the way from 30 to 150.  For others it is shorter, for others, could be a little longer.

Bottom line - nicodemon can pop out of nowhere so best rule of thumb is keep your guard up and tools handy at ALL times.

And stay close to us and blog.  And re-do the readings when you need to.  Reinforcement is good!  I did the readings again several times in my journey.  It really helped!

Keep on going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You got this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Strudel

I like what you said about the thoughts being wired into the brain...so true. I also felt that I needed to make sure I "got it" when it came to KNOWING that smoking would never give me anything worthwhile! I really feel that once I broke that brain connection ("I need one because.....") I was okay. However, even as firm as I am in that believe, I still know that I have to guard this quit gift with my life! 

You are in your forever quit! Know it! Congrats! 

Brenda_M

This is an interesting blog/responses...thanks for starting this discussion.

Julieibbo

I know that once I have one cigarette, that will be it, back to square one. Remember your first smoke, you chose to smoke, put yourself there again and you will choose not to smoke. Wish I had never started, that is how it should be. You will get the desire to smoke, but we must say no and there's another day gone. 

cheyenne7

It's so true that our quits are precious gifts we've given to ourselves...and they must be protected...

It has taken me a long time to "get it"...sad, but true...

Looking back, I believe that I always left that door slightly cracked open, not quite locked all the way...and honestly, on most quits, I didn't realize this or maybe I didn't let myself think about this....Idk, and it doesn't matter now...

Closing the door to nicotine, changing the lock, adding security bolts...This is what makes this quit my forever quit!!

Hope this helps anyone new to quitting, don't leave the door open...

Embrace your quit...it is worth protecting : )