Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Going on 1 year 350 days

vicky_k
4 7 126

Good Morning Ex-Community,

Today I am going on to my 1 year and 350 days of no smoking.   It has been a difficult couple of months, I blogged in May 2021, we had our house renovated, and we rented out the 1st and the 3rd Floor.  During 2023, I was going through a lot of stress from my younger sister, when we told her that we had change our mind and we are selling the house.   She was very mad at my older sister and I, but I never thought in a million years that I have problems with my boyfriend's family.   My boyfriend's niece's husband is a Realtor  from Long Island.   The house that we are selling is in Astoria Queens, towards the 4th Quarter of last year, our 1st floor tenant moved out, and my 3rd Floor tenant has depression, therefore, he was not paying rent on time, which causes more anxiety for me.   I informed my older sister, Nancy that we had to use a local realtor to sell our house, and that is what we did, but I never thought this will cause a big problem from my boyfriend's family.   Dave is the realtor, and he took it so personally that I did not ask him to sell our house.   The reason being is that he is not the local realtor, I even sent him an explaining to him why I did what I did, is because I had change the realtor to local realtor, the original realtor is in Jackson Heights, NY which is right next door to Astoria, my dad's house was not sold for more than 6 months, subsequently, I 've changed the realtor, and the Astoria Realtor was able to sold our dad's house within one to 2 months.   I am using the same strategy this time as well, and now my boyfriend's niece's husband is both angry with me.  Stating that I know them for 16 years and I did not even check with them first.   

Note:  This is a house belongs to the three of us, and I was experiencing extreme anxieties due to the tenant leaving and dealing with the 3rd floor tenant that pays rent late every month.  In addition, I am very angry at my boyfriend's initial reaction is that he sided with his nephew in law, Dave, said that I should have talk with Dave first.   The house belongs to the three of us, I do not need to seek Dave's approval first before we sell the house, in addition, Dave lives in Long Island which is about 35 minutes away from where we have the house.   I am still very angry at my boyfriend; he is still saying that I should talk to Dave.   I decided to end the 16 years relationship with him, since he is not on my side at all.     (This incident almost causes me to pick up cigarettes again, but I did not.  Thank God)   

The house will be closing next week, and I can't wait to have the house sold so that I will feel better.   In addition, I now had to look for an accountant, since my boyfriend's niece is the accountant that I have been using in the last five years, and now she and her husband are angry at me, I have no choice but look for a new accountant to file my taxes.    I had to take off One 1/2 week from work so I can concentrate in selling the house and check last minutes details.   

It is extremely difficult to deal with ending the 16 years relationship and selling the house the same time, very stressful.  I have to review legal documents and check on the house as well to ensure things are done.   I will be celebrating 2 years on January 29, 2024, as a non-smoker and I am extremely grateful and thankful.   I know that it will take a while to heal my body from the breakup.   I have to learn to do things on my own again without my boyfriend's companionship.   

vicky_k_0-1705254434438.png

7 Comments
About the Author
I have been smoking since I was in my twenties, and I have been sobered for 23 years. I quitted smoking for over a year until last October 2021, due to my boss has pile on a lot of work my way, I have developed major anxiety and panic attack. Ultimately, I had to quit my job to save my own life. I went to my primary care physician, and my blood pressure was very high. I had to make a choice to quit my job to save my own life. One of my colleagues told me that I was the backbone of the department, and he really appreciated my hard work. I was working as a Commercial Loan Administrator, and I have to extract certain information from the legal agreements and input in the Loan IQ system. The management does not care about the people working in the Operation Department. Majority of my colleagues told me that I am the most responsive and knowledgeable person in the department. I felt very angry that they put so much work on my plate and forced me to quit my job. I was no longer happy working in my job. That caused me to pick up smoking again, and I know it is not good for my health. Smoking only exacerbate my anxiety. I am praying and hoping that this website will help me quit smoking for good. I should not use smoking as a coping mechanism. I believe this is not a coincidence, and it happened for a reason which I do not have a clue right now, but I believe that God has a better plan for me going forward, and this is the time for me to do some soul searching and taking care of my body. I believe as time goes by; I will find a more suitable job that is not that stressful, and I do not have to work crazy hours. I will keep my fingers crossed.