cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Getting ready to quit smoking.

missy75
0 12 16

Hi, my name is Missy and I am very new here. I am a 52 year old Nurse, disabled from a near fatal MVA in 2002. I now have an open wound (for over 2 years) on my hip. I have osteomyelitis in my hip and thigh bone. It is imperative to my healing that I stop smoking. I go back into the hospital on November 1st, so I think that is the perfect time for my quit date. Wishing you all luck and sending prayers your way. Any prayers and/or positive energy sent my way will be greatly appreciated.

12 Comments
Thomas3.20.2010

WOW!

Sorry about your health condition and yes, smoking cessation would give your bones and wound a chance to heal so much better! But it will do so many other positive things for you that you can't even imagine at this point! Quitting is full of Bllessings that make one's life better abd better!

I'll be praying for you.

Meanwhile keep reading and learning about Nicotine Addiction!

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

I am sorry to hear of your accident injuries. Your body will certainly heal better and faster without smoke in it.

The most important thing you can do to start is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your mind and body. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, do the tracking and separation exercises, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might also want to visit quitsmokingonline.com, and whyquit.com.

After you have completed the readings, it will be time to make your quit plan, including what quit aid , if any, you will use, and the crave busters you think will work for you. Then you can approach your quit day with a plan in place.

Stay close to us and ask for advice and support as you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

whognu_1-2007

good reason not to smoke

Jordan-11-1-12

Welcome!!    November 1st is a great day to quit!   You've come to the right place for support and education.  Stick close to the site, read blogs and comments, and blog as often as you like.  There are a lot of people here, with good quit time behind them, that really know how to stay quit, and we're all here to support each other!

Please check out    whyquit.com  for great articles (and videos at the end of the articles) by Joel  and definitely check out the link that Nancy gave you.  As much as we already know about nicotine addiction, doing the reading that people on here suggest can be vital to a lasting quit.

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-...

I'm so sorry to hear about your medical issues.  Hang in there.

Danno_11-10-12

Welcome and congrats on your decision to quit.  I got a lot of help from quitsmokingonline.com in conjunction with Jordan's suggestion of whyquit.com. Best wishes on your health.

Magstoyou

Welcome to the site Missy.

Sorry about you accident!!! Prayers!!!! 

Mag

lindan_7-14-10

Good Evening, Missy:) I am sorry to hear of your troubles. We are a great bunch of folks here at EX, All with the same goal, to choose a life free of nicotine addiction. Once that choice has been made, then the real work begins ... becoming quit and supporting one another to remain so. I so love this place and the wonderful friends who have turned into "family" You have been given sound advice, reading about this addiction is key to a successful quit. We are all here for you. The light is always on♥

Bonnie11.3.2009

Read as much as you can before you go into the hospital.  Take your laptop or Ipad with you if you can and get back on this site as soon as you can after surgery.

You sure can quit and we know how to do it.  Being prepared is very important to your frame of mind and that is where our quits happen, what we believe is true is true.  You need to learn abou the nicotine addiction and challenge the brainwashing you've had regarding smoking.

It just may be a whole lot easier than you thought it would be.  We'll be here, just log on.

Good luck with the surgery!!

Strudel

Welcome! Yes - read, read, read! I am so sorry about your medical situation....... You can do this! Stick around! Take care! 

jocj88

Welcome!!!  Sending prayers and positive vibes your way!  You can do this!!!!

ljguptill

You can do this~ it's time to take care of #1 🙂

missy75

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement!!!!