cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Getting ready to quit again as it's do or die time for me now

brian123
0 8 42

Lung and respiratory problems, severe, COPD officially diagnosed, too many meds to mention.  I can't even wallk more than one minute without stopping very short of breath. My doctor told me either quit now and be lucky and after some time get into an outpatient pulmonary rehab. program to learn to breath again with damaged lungs or die a slow and miserable death smoking. 

I hate the solu medrol and prednisone and I hate smoking so much, so much.  It's the dumbest thing I ever did as a kid.  I wanted to be in the 'in crowd'.  I got in but where are they now?  Nobody here but me.

Local physical rehab has a superior outpatient pulmonary rehab two or three times a week.  They DO Nicotine testing of blood before and during pulmonary rehab and will not accept anyone smoking or taking NRT.  So for me it's do now and have a chance at getting somewhat better or die a slow death smoking.

Started smoking age 14 now 44. Stopped cold turkey age 40 and did not smoke for 10 months then was a fool and lighted up again.

Last time I did it all alone but this time I am using nicotine gum 4 mg and need to find a couple people for the first couple rotten weeks.

My quit date is between 6 and 10 days from now. I'm doing what I did the first time I quit which is simply just not buying anymore and the 3 packs I have in my home now are it and when they are gone I buy no more. These three packs may easily last me more than ten days though! as I am smoking very minimally. I 'hold the urge' for hours.

A friend of a friend actually had good results with seeing a local psychologist for hypnosis in 09. It cost him a hundred a session which was 90 minutes and after three sessions he was able to quit cold turkey and the withdrawal was so minimal and he is still not smoking to this day. He told me his first cold turkey was complete hell as mine was but the hpynosis made it so very minimal withdrawel that he would recommmend this doctor.

So I am looking into hypnosis kinda seriously but haven't made up my mind yet one way or the other. I may just put it on the back burner as a Plan B if I am having too tough a time with the gum. It's good to have a Plan B.

I wish us all the best in our quitting and nice to meet you.

8 Comments