cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Getting Ready To break the Habit

imaquiter2
0 15 55

I am 25 and have been smoking since I was 13. I shared my desire to quit with my family today and was met with comments like i'll believe it when i see it and you've said you quit before and yet still carried cigarettes.

In a way carrying them helped me in my efforts to stop. it always seemed like having a few on me dropped the anxiety level it made me feel in control. When I didn't have any with me i felt desperate and anxious. I couldn't even enjoy time with my family. In the end that  didn't work and i found myself sneaking off to smoke that cigarette i had been resisting.

I realized it was time to really time to quit when earlier this year it got to the point where i couldn't even sit in a movie theater and enjoy my over priced movie without having to step outside for a smoke. Now even the duration of a TV show can be a problem.

Then I started smoking in my room. Something i used to do only when it was so cold outside even cracking the door and smoking with my head out side was too much. Now even my pillows stink.

Today  I got a bit of a late start and tomorrow will be my Official day one.

15 Comments
JonesCarpeDiem

it is actually an addiction.

The physical addiction to the endorphins released by nicotine is a real physical addiction. It's what keeps us coming back for another one.

But

The habit part you speak of is the most difficult it is the psychological addiction. The hand to mouth and inhale motion you've done thousands of times. and thousands of times

and thousands of times

JonesCarpeDiem

click on my cat and read whats on my page. it outlineswhat to expect when you quit and may help clear out preconceived notions or bad memories of past quits.

imaquiter2

@jonescarp aka dale 

Your page really made me focus on the difference in mentality for a smoker. It's so easy to put off that quit date or give into the mental pressures associated with smoking. What do you think of e cigs are they helpful for dealing with the mental craving. You know the part of going through the motions or do you believe they just lead to back slipping.

I am asking for your personal opinion on the matter. 

JonesCarpeDiem

they may be too helpful. you never unlearn the motions of smoking so you can let it go if you use an ecig. it's counterproductive.

JonesCarpeDiem

people who use them remain a slave to them. there is a smokers lifestyle. when your life is controlled by it like yours appears to be from your blog, doing the same motions with a battery will never come close to freedom.

imaquiter2

Ok i was hoping to substitute them in place of  actually smoking as i work towards my quit date. Swapping tobacco for something herbal or with a fruity flavor. I thought maybe if i could use it to make it pass the physical addiction i'd get ahead. The first week after i decide to quit is the hardest the more i tell myself i wont give in the worse the craving

Thomas3.20.2010

Perhaps you are giving too much attention to your Addiction. If you begin your day with the daily pledge not to smoke and then get and keep your FOCUS on other activities, (STAY BUSY!) then it will help you calm those cravings. You will be filling your head with other thoughts! Another helpful suggestion is to drink lots of water, eat 6 times a day (half meals), drink cranberry juice, stretch, deep breathe frequently, and exercise. Please remember that 45 Million people want to quit smoking but 47 Million actually have succeeded! YOU CAN, TOO!

summer-07-06-15

Best not to have the temptation around, because when you a bad urge you might resort to the addict in you saying just one. No such a thing,  I had one to many a slip because I "I was stronger than the ciggs".

You can do this without the ciggs around. The best thing to do, is to make a commitment to stop smoking. You will get thru this.

Success Baby Pic

freeneasy

Wise decision to quit-don't wait until you are 30..or 40... many people here smoked for 30 to 40 or more years. This is the best thing you can do for yourself now.

Junior7

Welcome!  Congrats on your decision to quit! 

JonesCarpeDiem

we have ways to get beginning quitters through the cravings that work, if you will try them.

1. Say "I don't do that anymore" OUT LOUD to retrain your brain when you get the urge to smoke.

2. Stick your head in the freezer and breathe the cold air.

3. Bite into a lemon, skin and all.

4. Pack your mouth with ice cubes and try to not get brain freeze.

kloud9

Here's to your success.   Quitting can be difficult especialli if you have no support or those around you do not understand what you are goin thru.  Be ya own cheerin section, ya own determination committee. Remember if  you can smoke you can quit.     Will see you in the 6% club next year lookin forward to it

You better N.O.P.E.   (ask somebody ! )

MarilynH

You can and will succeed in your quit, no matter what my friend. Be stronger than your cravings for the sickerette.

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested on this site

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around your head alone.  Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

imaquiter2
Thanks for all the wonderful feed back. I have managed to cut the number of cigarettes I'm smoking in half in the few days I've been in this program. It took abandoning my favorite smoking places and leaving home without my pack but I am staying busy and practically running out of the house to find something else to do. Being home has proved to be my time of greatest weakness. I am a home maker and I'm here by myself from the time my son leaves for school till he gets home eight hours later. He loves all the extra attention he's getting. When he comes home I throw my focus into spending time with him.