cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Friends and Family: TRIGGERS!!!!!

krystal-beavers
0 13 166

Well it is already Christmas eve eve. WOW where has time gone.... I would like to take this time to wish all of you a very Merry Christmas.....Today is 45 days and i am truely psyched. How ever I am a little worried because this is my first Christmas without cigarettes and I have a good friend of mine is coming in and staying for a whole week and she smokes like a train. I only see her 2 times a year and we usually spend it sitting up and talking and smoking all night. She knows I have quit smoking but I still know this will be a trigger for me. 

13 Comments
JonesCarpeDiem

SO LET HER GO OUTSIDE TO SMOKE AND SHE'LL SEE THE PLACMENT OF HER  IMPORTANCE

ny-girl

45 days is huge!  I can understand your dilema.  I can share with you that my friend was the reason I started smoking again after five months of quit.  That was about seven years ago.  I agree with jonescarp...let her go outside to smoke, and ask her to wash her hands when she comes back in.  If she is a friend, she will understand.

Stay strong. 

maggie_8-1-2010

wOW...45 DAYS! That's quite the accomplishment Krystal. Way to go! Now you have to do whaever it takes to protect that quit. It's wonderful that you get to see your friend but you are correct to put your shields up. 

When she gets there you might set some ground rules about her smoking. I don't know what part of the country you live in but hopefully smoking outside will not be an issue for her. That is the best solution. Also you cana take the opportunity to share this site with her. My best friend was really impressed when she finally was able to see what I have been talking about for the past year and a half. Who knows... perhaps you will inspire her!

Just don't feel obligated to with her to keep her company when she smokes. A person can smoke really fast when they are not in the thick of things - perhaps you remember!!

Merry Christmas. Have fun and protect that quit! I want to celebrate your first 50 days on the Freedom train shortly!

lisa11209

Congratulations on 45 days!  Please have your friend smoke outside.  I hope that she is happy to help you protect your very good quit.

BobbyMaynard

Please don't let her smoke in the house. At 45 days quit you may not find this to be a trigger at all, if fact you may find it somewhat repulsive. Do be careful, it can be the unexpected and the unanticipated triggers that can trip you up the most. Enjoy your Holiday and enjoy your friend but above all, PROTECT THAT BEAUTIFUL QUIT.

Strudel

Congrats on 45 days!! Have a plan for while your friend is there....have her go outside. Know what you will do during that time. Have a "back-up plan" of what to do if you feel you are in trouble - like go for a brisk walk, come here and blog about it, call a friend, - whatever you feel will work for you! With your great attitude - as long as you plan ahead - you will be fine!!! Take care! And - Merry Christmas to you!

misty_dawn

Wow, great 45 days!  

Stay on your toes and be ready for any urges that come your way.  You can so handle it. 🙂  Back up plans are good.

The hardest part may be the memories of smoking with her, so make some new ones with her when the old ones surface to replace them.  Cookie decorating or crafting is great because they both keep your hands busy.

melissa131

45 Days is great. I like Misty's idea, go to the movies or the mall can't smoke in those places. 

My mom makes me feel like smoking everytime I talk to her on the phone. Have a plan of some sort,even though I two days late on this post, lol. 

Merry Christmas for real. Hope you made it, you can do it. Buy some gum. Good luck. 

violet4

Hang in there. You can do it..

indianamom

my daughter just gave me a hard time saying i was weak for having my third cigarette in three days. very stressfull.

officer_krupt

maybe ask your friend if she is ready to kick the habit?

piper6

45 Days!  Wow.  Congratulations.  Today is my first day.  This is my quit date.  I've smoked for 30 years.  I sure hope I can battle the urges.  I think it was a good idea for you to make some new traditions with your friend.  Anyway I wish you the best of luck making it through the holidays. 

Piper

Giulia

It's been five days since you posted this.  How are you doing?  Inquiring mind want to know.   Do not let anybody take your quit away from you.  Check out the following:    The Holiday Trap