cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Free patches...if I talk on the phone..

brittann3
0 18 105

I'm feeling a little irked. I know many states offer a quit line or program where one may qualify for free patches to quit. I appreciate this because a 2 week supply of patches costs the same as a carton of cigarettes, which I usually bought every 2 weeks. However, in order to qualify for these free patches you must enroll in phone coaching sessions.

Talking on the phone is a trigger for me! I smoke when I talk on the phone. I chain smoke on the phone. I sit in my chair on the patio and I smoke one cigarette after another the entire time I'm on the phone. Anytime I have to make any phone calls that's what I do. So, for the past week I've relied on texting and facebook to communicate with family and friends because I know the moment I get on the phone I will want a cigarette badly!

But, in order to get 10 total weeks of free patches, which adds up to about $280, I have to talk to a smoking cessation coach for around 15 minutes for a total of 5 sessions.

Why does it have to be over the phone? Why can't it be online chat?

Anyways had to rant to someone about that.

18 Comments
Jennifer-Quit

I joined up when I quit - but only got 2 weeks of patches.  I was a little unsure about the telephone coaching sessions at first but it really wasn't that bad.  It just gave me one more person that I had to be accountable to.  They also sent me some helpful reading material.  I learned that my coach was a former smoker and that helped me have more faith in her. I would give it a try--maybe it won't be as big a trigger as you imagine.  

RachelMB

I understand what you are saying.  Maybe it would help if you had something in your other hand.  Perhaps a straw, stress ball, etc.  Remember you can do this! 🙂

MePlus3
I'm not sure of your state but I signed up for "quitnow" online and was able to chat with the counselor online and got free gum they also offer patches only thing is you'll have to keep in touch with them and tell them how your quit is going you can't just get the NRT and disappear however it's not over the phone. If you're unsure you might have to make a one time call 1800-quitnow and see if the services is offered where you live if so you can go online from there. Wishing you the best 😃
SkyGirl

It does seem sort of counter-productive, doesn't it?  

But it won't hurt to try the first phone coaching session.  In fact, the fact that talking on the phone is such a trigger for almost everyone would make a perfect topic to start the conversation with the coach!  

And Rachel's suggestion above is important: plan ahead to have something to do with your hands during the conversation.  

In fact, since 15 minutes might feel like a really long time to you to be on the phone while not smoking, have THREE different things to do all prepared and right in front of you when you make that call.  And then do each thing for five minutes during the 15 minute talk.  

For instance, 1) a pad of paper and some colored pencils for doodling, 2) sew a button on something, 3) peel potatoes over the sink. You'll want to pick small tasks that require your focus, but are mindless enough to allow you to carry on a conversation with the coach at the same time.  The 15 minutes will go faster than you think.

After a few times on the phone , you'll probably be able to do simpler things that require less planning ahead, like chewing a straw or shuffling cards or tossing a ball up and catching it.

These ideas may seem juvenile or too detailed to take seriously.  But learning to distract yourself from cravings is vital in the beginning.  Trying to just "gut your way through" a craving often only makes a craving feel more urgent.  Focusing your hands and your mind on a specific task really does make cravings seem less overwhelming

And it's not that you'll have to do things like this forever---just during the first difficult days/weeks until your body and mind starts to adjust and your confidence in your Quit grows!  

YoungAtHeart

Sky Girl has given you excellent advice.  The only thing I might add is to make the phone call in a room where you have never smoked.  Perhaps light a scented candle there, and do keep a cold bottle of water for sipping handy.

Nancy

crazymama_Lori

I bought the generic Wal-mart brand of nicotine patches.  It was like 25 bucks for a two week supply of the step 1's

Yaya2.6.10

Talking on the phone was a huge trigger for me.  I turned down the sound on the computer and played solitaire.  I could talk and do that.  In fact more than six years in, I still do that if I don't have other meaningless tasks to do like folding clothes, chopping something, etc.  Hooray for you for being prepared and knowing what your triggers are.  

Sootie

Yes---talking on the phone is/was a huge trigger for many of us----I see your problem.

Skygirl's suggestions were great.......see if they work...try one call. Tell the coach immediately about the trigger of the phone and if you feel yourself weakening....just hang up. But, I'll bet as you move along, you will be able to break this trigger with very few problems. Our fears about quitting are usually worse than the reality.

My husband quit through our health insurance and they also required phone coaching. The calls were never more than 5 minutes and they did not last for as many weeks as they had first told him.

Stay Strong.

Magstoyou

You might want to call your health department in your town.

They have a quit smoking program here in our town, and they provide you with free Nrts. You go once a week.!!

Mag

Welcome to the site-you will love it here!!!

c2q

Grrrrrrrr. I know I'm late to this conversation. Did you pick a next step yet? I like everyone's advise, especially Sootie's. You are still the boss of your quit. Try one call. Let the quit coach know that you may choose to hang up at any time to protect your quit. 

maryfreecig

When you are ready to quit, the path before you is the one you will take. If you can afford to smoke, you can afford to quit. I am for you, not against you. Keep breaking through your resistance.

brittann3

Those are all great ideas I never thought of! I actually had to spend some time on the phone last night for a new issue and even though it was frustrating it wasn't as bad as I thought. So, I think I will try the coaching session but will wait until this weekend when there isn't quite so much going on and I have more time during the day. Thanks again! 

Bedroom25-25

Yes I'd like to receive free patches please

YoungAtHeart

@Bedroom25-25 

Welcome!

I am not sure anyone who can help you will see it.  You can call 1-800-Quit-Now for free patches.

To participate with the current active site membership, you might write a blog (Ex Community-top left, then center box, "Post a Journal/Blog).  You can engage with the wider community in that site place,

Hope to see you there!

Nancy

Barbscloud

@Bedroom25-25 Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit.  Aids have helped many of us be successful, so I'm happy to hear your interested in obtaining the patches.

No matter how you choose to quit, cold turkey or with aids, you need to educate yourself about nicotine addiction and have a quit plan. Many have found success with knowledge and preparation. It took me 50 years and many attempts to finally get it. I went into my quits blindly and was never successful. In addition to some aids for my final quit, I found the Ex a week prior to my quit. For the first time I learned how to quit and had the support that was always lacking.

This link is a great place to start.
https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Make the commitment and you can do this too. We're here to support you on your journey. So reach out anytime you need help, want to share your experience or to support fellow quitters. We're all in this together.

Start your day by taking the Daily Pledge. It's a great way to stay on track on day at a time.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

crazymama_Lori

@Bedroom25-25 , might I make a suggestion on what helped me quit and have now been a former smoker for almost 8 years after smoking for 40+ years.  A month prior I started using the tools they have on here for tracking your smoking, when you light up, the reason for you lighting up, etc.  You start to learn your behavior patterns and habits.  You are still smoking at that time but are becoming more alert to when and why.  The next week, I started to cut back on my smoking.  Instead of lighting up the first thing at the start of the day, I'd light up at 10:30.  I'd wait a few hours to change up my routine.  Think of it as trying to break a habit of biting your nails.  This is the time to start training your brain to do something else.  You are still smoking at this time, but cutting back.  Now, you may find that you don't need patches and you're doing just fine without them.  In my case, I was a 2 pack a day smoker.  Really a steam engine all day long.  I tried cold turkey and I just couldn't do it.  At the end of the month or a few weeks or really when you are truly ready to finally give them up, commit yourself, slap a patch on and stick with it.  Try to learn as much as you can on here about nicotine, what it does to your brain and your body.  Understand what's going on and why you are smoking and when you are smoking.  If you put your commitment and your brain into this journey, you will succeed.   Will the smoking thoughts ever completely go away?  nope.  They will find their way into your life again.  But the thing is after you've made it through, you'll just simply say, that's just something I used to do.

Barbscloud

@brittann3 Have you had any success with obtaining patches?

Barb

Maki

I see this post was started in 2016 ,with some new members joining in ,  @brittann3 ? Have you rejoined Ex ? 

About the Author
{10.17.2016} I am 32 years old and started smoking at 13 years old. I've attempted to quit many times over the years but it wasn't until Oct 2017 that I felt I was really ready. I did it for my boyfriend, he does not smoke and hates that I do, and the possibility of a family someday. 1.25.2017~ I am 100 days into my quit and smoke free! I also recently learned I am pregnant! If not for this site my quit would not have been a reality. 5.11.2017~ I am over 200 days quit and almost halfway through my pregnancy. We found out that our baby is a little girl. I am beyond ecstatic to be living life with the man I love and a beautiful baby girl who will make us a family.