cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

First timer

michelle198
0 10 18

I've never written in a blog AND, I've never went a day without smoking since I was 14.  I'm still smoking BUT, I have my quit day set as June 1st.  I've been to the doctor and already have my perscriptions.  I'll be using the patch and wellbutrin.  I've logged all of my trigger areas.  Today is my first day trying to separate my triggers from my smoking.  I'm letting myself smoke today but, I am doing it outside, on my deck, while doing nothing else.  So, I am typing this right now without a cigarette, which is a trigger.  I am hoping to have my triggers somewhat separated by my quit date on June 1st.  Anyway.  I hope this site helps.  So far, it already has.  Lots of good information!  I think I can do it if I use all the resources that I can.  Hoo-rah! 

10 Comments
Thomas3.20.2010

Hi, Michelle! WELCOME! As a psychologist, you know that the work belongs to you! We can show you the road to success and YOU make the decision! This is important because Nicotine Addiction makes us slaves to sickerettes and making our own decisions in spite of Nico-thoughts is critical to our quit journey! Read the hoework - it makes the difference for many of us because we learn about Nicotine Addiction and Recovery but also we retrain our Addictive Brains! The more you participate the better your success!

Nyima_1.6.13

Welcome Michelle, You are off to a good start! Do evry reading that is suggested, it really does make a big difference in motivation to be educated about this addiction! Going outside is a good way to switch things up and "just smoke"really worked for me! If you don't allow yourself to multitask, I think you'll find smoking to be quit boring! Good luck!

JonesCarpeDiem

you might want to get a head start and prove you have some contro befrore you quit.

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2013/04/17/one-more-timede...

michelle198

This site is already really helping.  And, separating my activities from smoking DOES make smoking pretty boring, not to mention lonely.  So far, I'm cleaning my house.  A lot.  And rearranging furniture.  But, I just keep telling myself that it's not my quit date yet and if I wanna smoke, I can go outside and smoke.  I keep reminding myself that right now, I'm just working through the triggers and separating the smoking.

I'm babbling, I know.

Still, I can't believe how much this site has already helped.  I'm going to be using it a lot for a while, I can tell.  Thank you to everyone that is here to help me. 

maggie_8-1-2010

Congrats on your decision and selecting your quit date!  Attitude is another thing that goes a long way towards a forever quit.  Your tude is looking good! Stick around, blog often do the reading that is or will be suggested.  Enjoy today!

JonesCarpeDiem

no one is saying to not smoke.

just that the feel of empowerment you can get by proving you have some control is a big head start to quitting.

SarahP

Hi, welcome aboard!  You're off to a great start!  Here are the "readings" mentioned in some of the responses above: 

The free Allen Carr book you can download at:
http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

The 10-lesson course at:
http://www.quitsmokingonline.com

The better you understand this addiction, the better equiped you will be to defeat it!  

YoungAtHeart

Definitely do ALL the reading suggested above.  You will feel SO empowered!

The idea of the separation exercise is to postpone each cigarette so that you separate the trigger and desire from the actual smoking.  The idea is NOT to cut so far down that you are keeping yourself in a constant state of nicotine withdrawal.  That will make it more difficult than it needs to be.  By the time you are down to about 5-8 cigarettes a day, it is time to quit them altogether.

Let us know when you need advice or support.  We are all behind you, cheering you on!

Nancy

Quit 7/4/12

michelle198

Right.

Strudel

Hi and welcome to the site! Congrats on deciding to quit! I did the reading Sarah gave you (please check it out!) and I took Welbutrin. Let me know if you have any questions. I quit almost three years ago - after 40 years of smoking - so, I know you can do this! Stay close! Read!