cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

First day with no nicotine in any form

Thyme
9 11 226

Today will be my first day with no NRT. I have dreaded quitting smoking and cutting down on NRT in the past, but today I woke up feeling strangely excited for this. Excited to be completely free! I’ve only been completely free from nicotine for about 7 weeks at the longest in my whole adult life. I picked up the nicotine lozenges when I quit vaping in 2018 and never really gave them up. I (ahhhh!!!!) started smoking again and used them to reduced how many actual cigarettes I was smoking for several years. Then I started smoking full time again. Then I “quit” cold turkey for some months but was sneaking puffs here and there, and that was the most miserable time of all. On this quit, I’ve cut back on 1 lozenge roughly every 3 weeks, going from 4 to 3 to 2 to 1 and now finally—none. It’s been a little hard for a few days to a week to cut down, with some cravings for cigarettes, sadness and irritability. But I am able to do it and after that first week I really don’t even miss that lozenge I cut out. This whole wanting to quit smoking journey started about 8 years ago and there’s been ups and downs and successes and failures. This feels like a milestone though, and as I get through more cravings without smoking I gain more confidence.

11 Comments
jonimarie

@Thyme thank you for sharing. IT is an up and down journey with highs and lows. You are doing it. At the end of the day it does not matter how, rather that you did it!!

jonimarie_0-1713533530830.png

biscuit9

Git 'er done @Thyme .  Finish what you started.  Confidence is high and you know you got this.  Smoking is in the past, your rearview mirror.  Onward and upward to that life you have CHOSEN.  

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good job @Thyme! We are cheering you on!

Quiana, EX Team

YoungAtHeart

You KNOW you don't want to ever put yourself through this process again, so don't!!!!  It's ALL up to you!  You have learned good self discipline during this journey.  Now is the time to use it!  Make a decision (like you did about quitting) that you will not use another lozenge NO MATTER WHAT! 

Pull out the tools you found helpful earlier in your quit and have them handy. Use them to get past any discomfort.    Remember you can always blog "HELP!" here!  If you have any lozenges left, melt them in water and flush them away, or toss them in a public trash can.  Keeping any around is just giving yourself permission to fail.

You might get some mints of a lozenge similar flavor.  Maybe get some lollipops or Sour Patch Kids?

I just know you can do this!!!!!  

Nancy

Barbscloud

@Thyme  This was always your quit and you took control of it.   You have learned so much about yourself and how to quit.  I think you were tempted to rush it, but you used the NRT the way it was intended to get you off on a the right start for your forever quit.  

I'm glad you found us and we get to share in your journey.  You used the Ex for support, but you have also been here to support your fellow quitters. Being willing to give back reinforces our own success.

Barbscloud_1-1704134401182.jpeg

I am so proud of you.

Stay busy and stay close. 

Barb

ReallyReal

@Thyme I am so happy for you--Yes, getting off the NRT is another great milestone and I am so glad to hear you are feeling excited about this step forward on the Road to Freedom.  It has been so great to be able to read about your experiences on this journey.  Thank you for being here at Ex and sharing your quitting experience!!  Cheers!!

MarilynH

You're doing super fantastic with your precious quit journey @Thyme YAY for each and every day WON YAY for Freedom YAY for each and every one of us for giving ourselves the Gift of LIFE! 

indingrl

c7d38f366ab64037e6de7bbcc59de65dd05634cc25e0c510180837646c399537.0.png

@Thyme 

I am so glad for you dear friend 

Cbefree

Dear @Thyme thank you for sharing your NRT experience...I'm so wishing you success with zero nicotine. Be well @Thyme  you can do this, we can do this, they can do this.... I haven't heard anyone say it's easy and sure enough....

Thyme

Yesterday was easy!! I didn’t have any cravings or or difficult emotions. I think the further away I get from cigarettes the easier this gets.

champsin97

You are doing great!  Keep up the good work and stay strong girl!