cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

First day of my new life....

ccburkott
0 9 115

Hello! I am new here to become an ex. I am a 35 year old stay at home mom, full time student, and wife to an active duty Air Force officer. I have been smoking since I was 11 years old. It has been my best friend, always there for me, as long as I can remember.

Sure, I've quit here and there, through pregnancies. I have 2 wonderful boys, ages 13 and 7. We are an active family, and I feel like smoking has definitely gotten in the way of me enjoying my life with my family fully. I go outside to smoke, stop on trips, and cannot do alot of the things the rest of them enjoy because of my addiction.

My husband just returned from a long year in Afghanistan. While he was away, I had a scare after a visit to the dentist with a biopsy for oral cancer. Talk about freaked out! I still didn't give up my addiction - hard to believe, but I guess I figured the damage was done.

Well, thank God the biopsy came back fine, so I just continued life as I've always known it. Our family is ready to embark on a new journey, moving from here in Virginia off to Germany. We've had quite a winter this year, and today my dog escaped. I had to run around looking for him through 2 feet of snow. A reality check was hit, as I huffed and puffed while searching for him. That was about 3 hours ago.

I sat here and could not recover. My lungs are still burning. I want to enjoy life, and I want to do it smoke free. I had one and a half packs here at home. I took a cigarette, smoked it as my good-bye, and crushed the rest - flushing them down the toilet.

This is attempt # who knows what. I have taken medications, tried hypnotism, and many other strategies. Those times were just to please others. This time I want to please myself.

So, today is the first day of my new life. Cold turkey, because I want to live.

Good luck to all who read this and are coming to the same terms I have.

Blessings!

CC

9 Comments
JACKIE38

welcome  and good for you read the blogs and learn all you canfrom other sites.

bleesings to you   jackie

bridget5

Stay close to this site so we can hear and learn from your success ! You can do it hour by hour.....

james41

Hey, Welcome! I first had to be happy about a non-smoking life to get this far, I knew before I started I simply could'nt do it if I was going to piss and moan about it( excuse the language) but I somehow knew if I allowed myself to have a mindset of depression about it I would fail. I used Chantix up until my quit date and then was done , put out the last one and said ok I'm now officially a non-smoker and a happy non-smoker.  I'm 51 years old, I smoked 2 packs a day for over 36 years and as they say nobody loved em any more than me, but I simply as of today   moved on. 54 days today and it has only gotten easier, after 72 hours it starts becomeing easier every day.Stay with us.

Thanks for your insightful blog

James

onelasttime

Amen sister and congratulation to you this will be a new life for you. Embrace it and your family and enjoy every minute you have together healthy and able to chase the dog without getting winded. Many prayers to you in your journey in becoming a non smoker and as a new member of a new country. Enjoy it all. Everything is possible if you believe!!Keep me posted on you success I have confidence you will have it!!!

ccburkott

Wow, I didn't think anyone would read this! 🙂

Thank you all for your words of encouragement! I intended for this to become a place for my own accountability, and a bit therapeutic! I definitely plan on keeping up on here through the process, and I am sure there will always be the "smoker" in me.

An hour and a half down so far. Keeping myself busy!!!

travelingman.rick

Stay as connected to your support nextwork as you can for the first week or so. Find a quit buddy and keep their number close by so that if you get close to breaking down you have someone you can call. I am at 46 days today and yes it is a hard thing to do but it is not impossible!

Good Luck

kdecker

Your blog post was inspiring!  I did the same thing a while ago when my dog ran away and in heavy snow, I had to run like a mad-man trying to catch him and at 23 years old (former athlete mind you too), I felt like my lungs were going to collapse.  It's great that you're doing it for you and no one else because that is the only way you'll finally do it....congrats and good luck!

quitfor4

Keeep up the great work.  on day nuber 4 here this website is great it really helps so stay close.  Don't ever give up you have to have that conviction in your mind.  Add me as a freind if you need support I will definately help Just remember the cravings are going to come but they will always go away always.  Keep the fight alive.    Pay it Forward   and    Glory to the Father

anacondahead

Thanks for the blog post - you sound like you are ready to start your new smoke-free life. Read as much as you can about the nature of nicotine addiction. There is more info out there than ever before. I smoked a pack a day for 31 years, quit cold turkey and today I am on Day 220 smoke-free.  You are 34 and your body will eventually heal up as if you had never smoked! Please don't wait until your health 'bottoms out'. 

Best wishes to you - let us know how you are doing.