cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

First cigarette in the morning

amjackson
0 6 100

I have trouble with that first cigarette in the morning. I wait for several hours and then the craving starts but when I go to smoke it I get dizzy and stomach gets upset. I don't want to smoke it but the cravings take over. My quit date is October 18, 2013.I also wanted to know about things that help you by Solid Savings Plugin">prescription or otherwise that seems to help out the most with the cravings. Anyone had those vapor cigarettes?

6 Comments
Jenny78

I chose chantix and swear by it after smoking for 45 years and this was my 3rd and final quit.  The e cigs have nicotine and I decided against using a nicotine replacement to try to quit nicotine.  Just did not make sense to me.  And the e cig is not regulated, so you really don't know how much nicotine you are inhaling.  I wish you the best in your decision to break free from the nicodemon.

rosemarymom

I know all about that first cigarette in the morning.  It is the best and the worst.   Every day I say I will hold off = I don't.  It is so hard.  My quit day is Oct 8.  I can't wait!  Do all the reading suggested on this site.  It will give you courage and hope. 

We will both make it!  It's all in the mind set.  Good Luck!!

Rosemary

joyeuxencore

Welcome!

It is great that you are practicing delaying…We have a great 3 step prep plan here on the EX homepage to help with that.

The MOST important thing you can do is educate yourself about the nicotine addiction by reading, reading and more reading…

We suggest a 'quit kit' composed of a list of distraction techniques and things to help you through like cinnamon sticks, crunchy things (carrots, celery, chips some hard candy, lots of water), lemons…biting into a lemon or sticking your head in the freezer and taking a deep breath gets you through.

It takes the mindset that we aren't giving up anything...we are doing it because we want to and not signing up for a lifetime of deprivation but a lifetime of freedom...that is the personal journey no one can take for us...

We will be here for you every step of the way! xo

"YOU are worth SO MUCH MORE than a cigarette" xo

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

http://quitsmokingonline.com/

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html  

YoungAtHeart

I personally used Chantx and found it very helpful.  If you do a search  on e-cigarettes o this site, you will find links for all the conversations, pro and con.  They are not highly recommended by most of us or the site because you are not relearning anything and the dosage isn't regulated.

Welcome to the site!

Nancy

Jordan-11-1-12

I used the patch.  Honestly, its not so much what you use, but your determination. Make the decision, make the promise to not smoke and then honor that promise no matter how uncomfortable it is at first.  The best way to help yourself honor that promise is to do the suggested reading that people give you links to.

Have you done the preparation exercizes on this site's home page?   They help a lot of poeple.  Allen Carr's book (joy gave you the link above) is my fav.  Bottom line, knowledge is power, so read, read ,read in order to help set up your quit plan. It can be done!!!  And we're all here to support you!

PS  there are two parts to this addiction. The physical and psychological.  Aids like chantix, the patch, gum... help ease the physical while we work on changing the physical addiction and hand to mouth.   e-cigs  feeds the addict the nicotine drug (you never know how much per canister) and keeps the addict doing the hand to mouth. Nothing is unlearned, nothing is learned, nothing is changed. 

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-...

amjackson

Chantix costs over $217.00 so that is totally out of the question but I appreciate all the advice that I am getting. I did purchase an e-cigarette but after reading this not sure that was such a good idea or not. Will have to weigh my options. I asked the doctor for Welbuterin but he wants me to make an appointment to go in and talk to him about it not sure I want to do that. Again thank all of you for your insights.