cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

First actual day without a cigarette!

morganlove247
0 11 26

Today was my first day with zero cigarettes. I have been on the patch since Monday June 17, but I would still smoke 1-2 a day because I couldnt get over my triggers! Today, I tried to stay busy. And right when I was fixing to go smoke, I decided to go get a snow cone instead! I feel so proud of myself. I amk hoping that if I can make it a whole day without one cigarette, I will now be able to make it without any cigarettes at all. I kinda feel sad knowing that I am no longer going to smoke. I really do love smoking, I just know if I dont quit now, my health will get worse and worse. I  love being able to save money easier now that I dont have to buy a pack a day. I hope tomorrow I will be able to make it through the entire day without one cigarette!

11 Comments
JonesCarpeDiem

good job on orking toward zero. You are not supposed to use the patch and smoke at the same time so its good you did that today.

joyeuxencore

Don't be sad...You are free from addiction! xo

The MOST important thing you can do is educate yourself about the nicotine addiction by reading, reading and more reading…

It takes the mindset that we aren't giving up anything...we are doing it because we want to and not signing up for a lifetime of deprivation but a lifetime of freedom...that is the personal journey no one can take for us...We will be here for you every step of the way! xo

"YOU are worth SO MUCH MORE than a cigarette" xo

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf Allan Carr

http://quitsmokingonline.com/

www.whyquit.com    

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html          

http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_03_21_blood_sugar.html

Giulia

You want to feel even prouder of yourself?  Don't smoke a single cigarette tomorrow. 

You feel sad about quitting cigarettes because you're thinking of it still in terms of "giving up" something.  And that something has to do with how you see yourself, who you are.  You feel like you're in a sense giving up something of yourself, your persona?  Right?  A lot of us have felt that way.  Think rather upon embarking and embracing a whole new YOU.  Babies turn into adults, tadpoles turn into frogs, caterpillars turn into butterflies.  I doubt any of them miss their former selves.  We should learn from them. 

I loved smoking too.  I also knew that it was destroying my health.  I'm not at all sorry I quit 7 years ago.  You won't be either.  Question:  how much are you willing to go through to achieve your goal of being free?  If the answer is:  "anything I have to do" then you cannot fail. 

wishingstar

As time moves on your sadness will turn into, A proud feeling that you are no longer a smoker. Do the reading suggested to you by the wonderful people here. You can do this.

Renee

wendymay

Morgan,

Awesome! Just don't pick up that cigarette and then congratulate yourself. Instead of a mantra in your head saying "I want a cigarette, I want a cigarette..." say to yourself, "WOW! I am a non-smoker, and I don't need cigarettes anymore, how cool is THAT???" If you never pick up another cigarette and keep a positive attitude, you WILL be a NON-SMOKER! KEEP ON PUSHING ON! We have faith in you! Keep us updated and we will support you no matter what!

Wendy

Michwoman

Betcha never thought you could do it huh??  Great advice in here - please listen and take advantage of those links. You'll be amazed at how helpful they are.

One day at a time - you can do this!

francis2013

I'm starting on day 8 of my quit and like you I am still having my ups and downs. My mood swings are constantly changing all the time and when I am feeling a strong craving I do a lot of research and do a lot of reading on this website. The people here are very awesome with helping each other for support. I try my very best to come here at least once a day to see what I can find to read or even post a blog telling everybody how I'm feeling or what I am going through. It has been helping me a lot to get most of this nicotince addiction off my chest. Please protect your quit as though your life depends on it. I would rather see you addicted to breathing compared to those nasty cigarettes. I'me  on about day 10 without using chewing tobacco and even longer with the cigars but I am counting all the days that I have been tobacco free for 8 days. I would not have gotten this far with the help of the people here and the support from my wife. Just remember to take your quit one day at a time and I believe that you can do this. I will pray for you if that is alright.

morganlove247

Thanks everyone!

pir8fan

Let's rephrase that!

" I kinda feel sad knowing that I am no longer going to smoke. I really do love smoking...."

" I kinda feel sad knowing that I am no longer going to smell awful. I really do love destroying my health and endangering all who love me...."

Same thing said two different ways! Does either really describe you?? I don't think so!! You can beat this addiction! We will help!!

YoungAtHeart

I second what Dale said above.  You should not be smoking with the patch on...you can get a nicotine overdoes by doing that.

I like a quote from Henry Ford:  "If you think you can or think you can't, you're right."  You need to think you CAN!  

The idea is to distract yourself through the cravings.  Don't let that thought rattle around in your head alone!  A crave will last about three minutes whether you smoke or not.  Go for a brisk walk, march in place, do a few jumping jacks, clean a drawer, do a crossword puzzle, play a computer game...Here are links to lists of 114 things to do instead of smoke if you need fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/03/03/additions-to-the-list-o...

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head CANNOT be:  "I want a cigarette.  No!  But - I WANT a cigarette.  NO!"  Instead, it needs to be "I want a cigarette.  Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it!

Stay close to us and ask for advice and support as you need it. We all here want to help you be successful!

Nancy

Quit 7/4/12

morganlove247

Yes, I knew not to smoke while I was on the patch. I just couldnt help it.. But hopefully today will be my second full day without one cigarette(: