cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

First Day of Serious Desire To Quit

dbomer
0 10 125

Hi all.  I ran out of cigarettes last night around 8pm and havn't bought any more (yet).  I bummed one from a co-worker at 10:30 this morning and wish I hadn't.  Quitting this habit (of 26 years) is not going to be easy.  One of my co-workers/friend told me about this sight so I signed up.  I will be visiting you all often because I don't want to die from lung cancer and I am just so tired of this nasty habit.  Thanks for any support you may have to offer and God Bless clean air!

10 Comments
Thomas3.20.2010
WELCOME! The best thing you can do for yourself is to read here and at quitsmokingonline.com and whyquit.com and The Easy Way by Allen Carr! When you understand nicotine addiction then you realize that you own the key to a successful quit - ATTITUDE! Keep posting Blogs as much as you want!
SarahP

Congrats on your decision, and welcome to this site!  My advice -- read, read, read. The more you understand this addiction and the mind games that go along with it, the better armed you will be to defend your quit. There are a bunch of good resources out there; one that helped me tremendously is www.quitsmokingonline.com. It has a 10-chapter easy to read lesson that will really help you see things in a new way.

Welcome aboard!

racheal

I AM, going to quit. Yesterday, i only had one puff off a cigrette. I did not buy a pack_i bought 4 single cigrettes. I feel so stupid for waiting tiI was 30 to start smoking, and will be 65 in October. My friends/family hated me because I would empty an ash tray ifit only had one butt in it. How pompus and proud I was then. I started smoking because someone told me it would with the taste of liquor and it was "sexy". And, I loved the Virginia Slim campaign_the date book, slimness of the cigrette and all around me___ smoked. This, will be the 1st time i have made an effort to quit. I've been up since 4 am, and just finished smoking the cigrette I lit up yesterday afternoon and only had one puff off of. This is going to be  LONG AFTERNOON N NIGHT for me. Tomorrow is my mother's birthday and it is the target date I've set to QUIT. I know I am going to be crazy as hell becuase i have always used smoking to "calm myself"__or so I thought. I do disaster welfare/crisis intervention/DV__seldom drink anymore, unless a holiday and then mostly wine, seldom hard liquor and go moths without drinking at all. The liquor is no problem, the smoking is. I can go all day without one, but once away from the office I seem to chain smoke? to make up for the difference, if that's possible? I am on a mission and I will not be deterred or fail. God help me, and I  do my part to help myself! Sorry, I am black and female.

anacondahead

Congrats on your decision to quit. I suggest you go to quitsmokingonline.com. The more knowledge you have about smoking the better prepared you'll be to maintain quitting.  Read othere posts and make a promise to yourself. I smoked for 30+ years and quit cold turkey and next month will be two smoke-free years and the toughest day was the first day.

Nicotine addiction needs to be respected but not feared. You bummed one not because you're weak but because yo're addicted, just like nthe rest of us. You will always be an addict. But you can manage NOT TO SMOKE and chnage your life. We are proof it can be done.

Please keep as busy as you can, keep hydrated, keep your mind occupied, not have any down time. The more smoke-free days you get behind you, the better!   Best wishes to you!!!    😃

FLORIDALJT

No, it's no always easy but, well worth it! Prepare for sure. Read read read & then read some more. This is a fantastic site with tons of people that have been exactly where you are right now. I got really sick & tired of smoking and everythin involved with the addiction. You can definitely do this. Drink lots of water and juice and come back often! 🙂 Louise

Strudel
Welcome to the site! Congrats on deciding to quit! To prepare I did a lot of reading - blogs here, the free course at quitsmokingonline.com and Allen Carr's book (Maggie gave you the links to both). Read, read, read!!! Stay close here for support - you can do this!  
Kathy
Dakota_Posse

Welcome dbomer from Texas!!   Everyone has given you excellent advice above.....read, read, read.....you will come to learn that taking control of your life (not cigarettes) is the best gift you can give yourself!!!  Take one moment at a time, one minute, one hour, one day.....baby steps...just keep saying NOPE (Not One Puff Ever)!!!!!!  In a few days when you can take a deep breath without coughing, you are going to smile ALL day long!!!!   Stay strong & welcome!

Cindy

violet4

Welcome .. we need u here and u will fit right in♥   keep reading everything u can.

jojo_2-24-11

Hi dbomer, congrats on your decision to quit smoking. There's lots of good advice here and take one day at a time. It is the best thing I ever did, quit smoking. I still can't believe it took me this long to feel this good.