cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

First Day Smoke Free

dimples64
1 11 28
Today March 3, 2016 is my first smoke free day. I decide to quit when I got sick two weeks ago. Didn't like the deep barking cough and not being able to breathe. I was doing good til 10 am, when I normally would go out for a cigarette break, did I really crave one. I contacted a friend, and then I decided to walk to the pharmacy next to my work and bought some cinnamon hard candies and gummy bears. Going back and sitting at my desk felt great knowing I didn't walk to the gas station instead and buying a pack. Lunch time wasn't to bad, I changed from going and sitting in my car to staying at my desk and catching up on personal emails and playing games on my phone. I am not saying it will be easy but I remind myself that I don't ever want to cough or not be able to breathe the I did in the past two weeks.
11 Comments
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Congratulations on your decision to quit and your FIRST day WON!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around your head alone.  Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

JACKIE1-25-15

You have come to the right place if you are making the decision to commit to quit smoking.  At EX our resolve is to never smoke again.  NOPE “Not one puff ever.”  I suggest that you follow the steps on the web site pages along with reading, writing, studying, researching and blogging if you like.

This is all about you and what you are willing to do to be a nonsmoker.Also check out www.whyquit.com.  There is a lot of additional beneficial information to read and study.  Look for Freedom From Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101.  

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html

http://whyquit.com/ffn/

Both were extremely helpful for me.  Stay close to the site and learn, ask questions. Education is the key to success even in quitting smoking. Read the blogs and most of all enjoy your commitment to quit smoking.If you need something to do here is a blog with comments on suggestions for crave busteres

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/JACKIE1-25-15-blog/2015/07/09/what-is-your-crave-buster

dimples64
Nancy and Jackie thank you very much for your encouragement and links to take a look at. I will definitely view video and read up on anything that will.
Jeff121

Hello;

You are in the right spot for all kinds of support. I  quit 33 days ago and things are going well. I find I chew alot of sugarfree gum and drink lots of water. Those are the 2 things that helped me.

Take care !!

MarilynH

Welcome, you have great advice and links above me, drinking lots of water as Jeff says is excellent which I still do and I quit 599 days ago and chewing sugar free gum is a great idea too, I used sugar free mints, keep stacking up your precious smoke free days and keep up the walking, you can and will succeed in your quit. 

Connie55

Back when I was first quitting I liked to pop into the stair well at work and walk up and down 3-4 flights of stairs. Not only did that distract from a crave, but getting winded helped to remind me of why I was doing this quit to begin with and strengthen my resolve. After work if I had a crave I would take my dogs for a walk to hit the gym eliptical. Whatever got me winded for a few minutes gave me some pretty tough reminders. 🙂 Smoke free 4 years and counting now.

dimples64

Thank you everyone for the support.

The stairs at work are a great idea why I didn't think of that.

Why does everyone say Sugarfree candy and gum? Is there a difference or reason to do sugarfree?

johio

That is so awesome !!!!!!  keep that positive attitude and stay close to this site

dimples64
Today is my second day. Not going to lie I was a tough one. On my Ten clock break I decide to do the stairs at work. That do help for a little bit but as the day went on the craving got worse. I wanted to take my last $8 and buy a pack. On my way home I stopped to see a friend and I told him how I felt. He told me don't do it. When I left seeing him I stopped at Subway and bought a sub. Between frustration and the urge for a cigarette, I won I didn't give into the craving and it was a strong one. I am so proud and happy with myself. I would rather feel like that, then being mad and disappointed in myself.
Sootie

Welcome---

When you experience a crave or a bad moment.....try to come here and blog the word HELP. Tell us what you are going through. People will jump right in to support you through it.

If you can't blog at the time....then do anything else! Run, walk, cry, scream, eat, dance, sleep, sing, read, hit something (don't hurt anyone!) do ANYTHING but smoke. Craves usually are very short in duration.

Stay Strong.

dimples64
Thank you. I have to remember that