cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Finishing up day 33.....and for some reason this week has been hard

jocj88
0 8 12

I'm rounding out my fifth week as a non smoker.  I am going strong but man the cravings have come this week.  I have had a super busy week at work with very long days.  I use to come home to long days and have a glass of wine on my porch with lots of cigarettes.  Well for some reason I have that thought pop up in my head when I get home.  I have been reading and know better it is just weird how the cravings can just pop up like that.  I have come across posts about no man's land.  I wasn't sure I understood what that meant but now I think I'm getting it.  

I'm still proud of myself, 33 days.....it seemed like yesterday I was on here writing about my 8th day and needed reassurance.  I'm still taking this day by day.  I keep reminding myself to always be present, to not forget  that i still have a fight ahead of me.  

I'm very thankful for this site....I love reading and knowing there are people just like me dealing with the same demons!

8 Comments
cheyenne7

Congratulations!!! You are doing awesome!!! I was on day 48 or 49 & slipped-up, now I have to start all over again...just remember, no matter what, you don't want to throw away your 33 days, believe me, you don't want to fall back to square one...so stay strong and protect your quit...you got this!!!

ken46

Congrats on 33 days!!! Just keep hanging in there! Eventually, it does start to get a little easier.

jocj88

Thanks for the encouragement.  I got this:)  

joyeuxencore

I posted  all the NML info on your message board...Great to see you! xo

Stac2

It does get WAY WAY WAY better.  Change your after work routine.  Anything that will work.  I had to do that also.  Sit in a different spot, drink a different libation, watch the evening news as a distraction, or get on this site.  Anything that works is good!  (Personally, for me, I went alcohol free for awhile cuz I found that ice cold water and peppermint flavored gum really helped stave off craves) (I've heard that biting a lemon or sticking your head in the fridge works wonders too).

I am sure you have seen this before, but just in case...

Plan for what to do instead of smoke – check out this list:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/aztec-blog/2012/10/16/things-to-do-instead-of-smoke

Hey, you are doing really really great.  And do keep on keepin on one day at a time.  By the time you get out of NML, it will be so much easier.  And by the time you are around 200 or so, I promise you will have days where the mere thought of a cig will never even cross your mind.  When those before me told me that back in my 30's I was thinking "yeah right."  But it is TRUE!

Glad you are here!  Stay close to us and keep us posted!

YoungAtHeart

You might try changing your routine up a bit.  Maybe go for a brisk walk after work and drink your wine by your laptop while reading blogs here (or any variation that seems to work for you)?

You are relearning your life as an ex-smoker - so drink your coffee with your OTHER hand, rearrange the furniture where you used to smoke so you have a different view if you sit there....anything to break the tie between the activity/location and smoking

You are doing great!  I am so glad you did the reading here and understand what is going on.

Stay committed!

Nancy

smorgy8513

Stay strong and stay close to the site.