cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Finding a distraction

lisalhh
0 12 43

I just read a blog about someone failing to find an alternate activity to smoking. I, too, am going through the same frustration. I find that I really have no craving as long as I stay busy. But as soon as I finsh doing something, there I go. It's almost like a mini reward for finishing a task or even an enjoyable activity. At this point - 47 days and counting - I feel this is a personal hurdle I must overcome on my own. Does anyone else go through this? I always thought cravings come as the nicotine is depleted from the body. But this doesn't seem to be the case here.

Then, there are those triggers I can't change. I smoke outside so my house doesn't smell. As a smoker, I still hate that stale smoke smell. My dog goes out several times a day. I put him on his lead & let him go. I find I often sit down, smoke, and watch him and all the other nature in my back yard. I know I can avoid that cancer stick if I go inside and go about my business. Most of the time, I do just that. However, there are coyotes in my area. They're most likely to attack just after dawn and anytime after sunset. He's only a little wiener dog. So, I have to stay outside and make sure he is safe. And yes, I always smoke during this time. Is this going to be another matter of will power when the time comes?

12 Comments
YoungAtHeart

No - it's a matter of changing up your routine ---- try sitting in a different chair, facing a different direction - and maybe taking carrot/celery sticks out with you - or throwing a ball for your dog - or actually taking him/her for a walk on that lead, or just walking 'round and 'round the perimeter of your yard?    You can also try slow, deep breaths, going slower and deeper with each one and concentrating on each one.  Remember - you are relearning your life as an ex-smoker.  This takes some effort on your part in the beginning, but it is SO worth it - I promise!

Nancy

snax21

im on 69 days and finding it the same way . if im not doing something to keep busy i crave it.  am hoping as time goes by it will get easier.  also so much more feeling to deal with;   so i take it one  day  hour and minute at a time.

dpop
33 days and same here..must find way to change the routine...I have to just keep going ....
elvan

We all thought of cigarettes as our rewards and we all had places we smoked that we had to deal with smoke FREE.  I made myself go outside onto the deck where I used to smoke and I took deep breaths instead of sucking in toxins.  Smoking was such a part of every smoker's life that it takes time and you need to not think of this as needing willpower, there is no willpower involved.  This is about education and taking care of yourself because you realize you are worth it.  One of my dearest friends on this site struggled to quit smoking and fought an epic battle with her craves.  She had severe asthma, last week, on Valentine's Day, my dear, dear friend, Courage, died as a result of smoking, she was 52 years young and leaves behind a husband and three kids who adored her.  I will miss her every day of my life and I will remember that smoking KILLED her...you have a choice, so did she, it breaks my heart that she is no longer here.  Read all you can, educate yourself, remember that a cigarette will do nothing FOR you but it will do a great deal TO you.  You are not giving anything up, you are gaining control over your life, control that you have surrendered to nicotine.  Prepare, my friend, if I could quit, anyone can.  I have not had a cigarette in over two years and I am grateful that I have gotten to know some amazing people here, this site is a gift.

JACKIE1-25-15

es ago

JACKIE 012515    

12 badges

These are crucial times during our quit but we have to remind ourselves that the addictive thoughts and small discomforts do not outweigh the benefits of not smoking. Keep a list close by so you have a renminder why you are doiing this. The idea is to have a plan before the cravings and triggers arise.  Self talk is a wonderful tool.  Breathing always is one fo the best medicines   What you are trying to release is dopamine. So find what works for you.  Music.  Reading.  Walk with  the dog. The dog will love it. Yep stale smoke does stink but hold your nose/breathe and get pass it and say" I am so glad I don't do that anymore" and keep walking. . 

Staying busy does help but as you say you can't stay busy all the time.   Take this opportunity to earn something new or take care of things you have put off.  Learn to relax.  Instead of fighting the cravings.  Rock and roll with them, ride the wave of the crave so to speak. Make your own game with it.  Standing on one foot.  Pretendiyou are on a surf board.  There are endless ideas locked it your brain.  Explore to release them because you are stronger than any cigarette. Quite refreshing when your mind overrides the addictive thoughts.  Tell yourself no matter what you will not take a single puff. NOPE not one puff ever. 

You have to go through some discomfort to get through but keep in mind it gets easier if you stay the course .  Until that point you have to tell yourself that smoking is not an option.SINAO  You will get stronger each time tell your addictive brain NO.  Scream and holler if you have to so it will know that you are serious. . Congratulations I think you are a winner you should also. 47 Days is great just some rough spots but keep going. Hopefully this will help  

SimplySheri

Make a new habit.  Every time you go out with your dog, pop in a butterscotch candy.  Or a mint.  Or a cup of hot tea.  Just something that you can do easily each time you are out there.

You are doing great!!  One day at a time and don't forget to reward yourself every now and then.  A little gift to yourself because you deserve it!

MarilynH

Welcome, you have the best advice above me so just continue on with your wonderful quit and at the end of each day, you can smile because each day you get through is another day WON. 

Chuck-2-20-2011

Yoju know, I live at the base of a bunch of fourteen thousand foot peaks, and back when a smoked, (you know, that alternate life that no longer exists), I always stared at those beautifl peaks as I smoked my cigarette.

But you know what? After I'd quit for a while, I realized that I never was actually looking at those peaks. No, I was concentrating on the cigarettes!

And then I discovered that those peaks are ten times more beautiful when I actually looked at them, free of the mask of addiction. That will be you very soon!

Congratulations on your quit! 

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

TerrieQuit

Hello, I am hearing some pretty wonderful numbers above,great advice and wisdom! I was on the phone with a fairly new quitter earlier today and we were talking about my early quit days. I came to EX everyday. EXer's and my quit were my # 1 priority! If I even thought about smoking, I thought what I would say to all these EXer's that shared their wisom and information so freely with me? How would I tell them that I couldn't stand to be a little (or alot) uncomfortable in order to have a better life? You won't feel this way forever, I promise! Hang on and stay close to this site and get to know your "cheerleaders". We want you to have your smoke freedom! Don't Quit on your Quit! Congratulations on 47 days. I know you don't want to give that away and go back to day one! do you? Of course Not! Stay Free!

I Won't Quit on my Quit!

Giulia

Cravings come when they will,  due to emotional triggers.  The nicotine is out of our bodies after a relatively short period of time,  So what you're dealing with is the behavioral aspect of your addiction.  You know - many of us say (and I have too) it's not a matter of willpower it's a matter of acceptance.... etc.  In your case - yeah, it's a matter of willpower.  You're in a trigger situation, you can't avoid the trigger, you have to stay outside so your dog is safe...  yes, to my mind at that point it becomes a matter of willpower.  Though I would prefer to call it a matter of discipline.  It has a much more noble and positive sound to it.  Doesn't it?!  So just be disciplined and continue to honor you quit.  For in honoring your quit, you honor the best part of yourself, not the least part of yourself.  My opinion only - take what you like and leave what you don’t.

Eric_L.

I like what g said. Willpower, acceptance... idk.   I can say for me I have to choose not to pick it up and ask for help.   From asking for help you got a few good distraction s above but why not chalkenge yourself in the moment and say why must I smoke? That must word is a CCHALLENGE to longterm and short term smokbriety.

Starlite

Aloha, yes I understand totally -  I am on day 53 and still struggle, but it sure feels good when I get through that struggle without smoking. I actually posted things I have read here around my house and printed some out so when I was not at home I had it with me to read. I do not have a computer and phone service is not always the best where I live so I depend on the notes and printouts to help. At first I thought it was all cravings, but then realized it is a lot of mental struggles as well. Associating tons of stuff with smoking-yikes, I smoked with almost everything I did so re-learning was and is a challenge, but so possible. Stay updated with EX and know you can do this. Deep breaths really help too and lots of water. Read, re-read and read again. check in frequently to EX. Great people with great advice and encouragement. Woohoo I am cheering you on.