cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Finding Places are triggers

mauijewel
1 9 26

Hi Happy Friday! I had to go out today. I needed to go out today, staying inside hasn't worked yet. So I did it.  But I found out that the usual places I go make me have urges. Like when I wait for the bus up at the shopping center I have a "special place" that I wait drink coffee and smoke. All the people from the restrauant come join me for a break. It's like their break room. I really missed going over there today but I didn't dare. Last time as soon as I went there I was bummin a smoke - just one! Today I steered clear of that area. Also, when I went to the docs I have a 20 minute window of opportunity to smoke really fast before I go in. But today I just waited inside. When I came out of the grocery store I had the strongest urge! I guess shopping is a trigger like eating is real strong. Tonight a friend is supposed to stop in but I think I need to not see him for awhile. He always brings me ciggarettes and has for years. He is my co-dependant! I call him and whine when I'm out! So now I have to not see him for a while until I get some time in. Tonight I plan on coloring! I'm enjoying breathing. I feel good about myself! 

it's 2 days and I'm glad I made it today hope tomorrow is good too. thanks friends! 

9 Comments
johio

Great Job....You are identifying and handling these triggers....I's not easy, but it is so worth it and it does get better

JACKIE1-25-15

Just think about how wonderful you smell.  What you are doing is protecting your quit by any means necessary. Havea smoke free weekend. 

JonesCarpeDiem

why don't you get some mints to take with you and when you get the urge to smoke pop one in, or chew on a toothpick (you can make your own cinnamon ones, or hum a tune, i laughed to myself or out loud when I could get away with it. It's learning new things to do in the old situations jewel that are simply reminders that you don't do that anymore.

djmurray

You're doing great -- keep coming back here, read everything you can, comment on the blogs you read, and focus on how good it feels NOT to smoke.  You're at the very, very beginning, and it is going to feel weird and very uncomfortable sometimes.  You'll wonder if you can do it.  YOU CAN DO IT.  If you're feeling deprived it's going to feel a lot harder than it needs to be.  If you've read the Allen Carr book "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking", re-read it (I did.)  The reason this is my final and forever quit is that I finally realized that I was giving up nothing of value.  I realized that people don't "get" to smoke; they have to smoke.  If you understand that smoking is nothing but satisfying the crave you created when you smoked the last one, the days will be easier (not easy, but easier).  And before you know it you will have stacked up a bunch of smoke free days and be so happy you did.

Dotgirl_1-28-16
Wow...what honesty and truth. It's a reminder to me that I have to put me first and protect my quit. I've had to stop seeing some people and stop going some places...not because I don't like them...it's because I like me as a nonsmoker more...I really need to be aware of the triggers...thank you for the reminder, I really needed to read this today. Thank you for sharing.
tjanddj

2 days in that is great! Good for you doing what you need to do to keep your quit!

ShawnP

you are doing great! The sad thing is we learned to associate smoking with just about EVERYTHING! You're on a  new journey, enjoy it day as it comes. It does get better.

Giulia

That's the way to do it!  You're using what's between your ears!  All those places where you smoked and enjoyed yourself - they'll be there.  They aren't going anywhere.  You're only denying yourself your normal routine until your quit is solidified and the smoking part of the routine is gone done over.  It's wise to abstain from trigger situations when we can in the first several months of our quits.  Drinking, hanging out with smoking friends, etc.  Your discipline is admirable.  Keep it up.

When you finally DO get together with this "co-dependent" friend of yours, ask him to please not ever offer you a cigarette in the future.  And too, ask him to say NO if you ever have a moment of weakness and ask to bum one!  A real friend will do that for you. 

Hang in!

joyeuxencore

Oh my goodness you are really so beautifully self aware right now and making smart, positive choices to protect your quit!!! 

Congratulations on taking your life back one fabulous moment at a time! xo