cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Fighting the triggers

atl-sam
0 6 20

I haven't been on the site in over 24 hours.  I was sitting at home doing some work.  I had dinner and found myself rushing to clean up the kitchen to have a cigarette because that was my old my routine.  I honestly told myself to hurry up and put the dishes away so we can go have this cigarette.  It was almost like I was having one of those dreams where I was fully aware of what was going on and yet I knew I was dreaming and didn't want to wake up.  Kind of hard to explain.  Anyway, usually I have been able to shake off the urges pretty easily.  A stick of Dentyne gum and a peppermint usually did the trick.  For some reason, I didn't want to even fight it, but wanted to fool myself into believing I was really going to have a smoke in about 5 minutes.  Of course all of this happened in about 60 seconds but the urge afterwards lasted for a lot longer.  This was by far the biggest urge I've had in my 13 days of quitting.  I had to get on this site and read some of the blogs.  I have never believed in any kind of group therapy before, but I see it does work.  The urges have subsided and everything is back to normal (somewhat).  I'm not sure what caused this sudden urge.  It's not like I was ready to go to the store and buy some ciggs, but had I been at a bar and someone was smoking one, I probably would have bummed a smoke.  I feel bad to even admit that.  This addiction really sucks.  I am so looking forward to the day when I won't even give a second thought to cigarettes.  I hate these things.  Thank you all for sharing your stories (good and bad) and for those who were brave enough to tell of their relapses.  You have given strength to all of us.  I feel like a broken record in my blogs, but I know for a fact I would have never had the strength to remain a quitter had it not been for this site.  Again, thank you all and thanks to those that created this site.  God bless you all!

6 Comments
Thomas3.20.2010

Way to go, Sam!  You handled that situation perfectly and showed EXACTLY why complacency can bite you in the Butt! There will always be times although less and less frequently when those feelings will come over us!  The trick is to be ready with the correct response even if it's 10 years later!  You have shown amazing progress and it is such a joy seeing you mature into an exsmoker! Keep up the Good Work! N.O.P.E. NO MATTER WHAT! Each and Every day!

lucky5

nice blog i felt like i was there!

Sootie

Don't feel bad to admit anything on this site--this is the place for it!!! You didn't smoke. 13 days is great BUT you don't say how long you smoked---I'm betting it was more than 13 days!!! You have to give the quit time. Just roll with it---the good days and the bad. Before you know it YOU WILL come out on the other side. And it is fantastic---you don't want to miss it.

Breakinchains

Hi Sam,

Congratulations on day 13. At that point, the mental urges are still going to tug at you once in a while. I believe the important thing here is to realize (and you did) that these are smoking MEMORIES. These are memories of the old you. When these urges hit, you have to tell yourself that "that was the old Sam. The new Sam doesn't do  that anymore. I am a non-smoker." Train yourself to focus on the future. Do not dwell on the past. Look forward as often as possible, and keep a positive attitude. You are doing great!

johnnyp

Congrats on your first couple of weeks, they are definitely the hardest. Live in the moment man. "I'm not going to smoke today." That really helps you get through those strong cravings that will, and still do come out of nowhere. They don't last very long anymore, but they definitely hang around. try to get some software that tracks how many cigarettes you would've smoked if you didn't quit, how much money you've saved, or how much time you've added back onto your life. www.quitcounter.com is a good one, also if you have an iPhone, there's "iQuit" and a couple other free apps. It's all mental stuff, but it helps me. Another thing that really helps is something that I am SO excited to see that you are already doing and that's coming here and reading blogs when things are rought. PERFECT!! Another thing is to find a few people that you share ideas and philosophies with, email them outside of here, or if you're on AOL or AIM or facebook, communicate that way. Solid relationships with people that are going through the same thing you are really helps. I got mine, and I thank GOD for them.

Hey, reach out whenever you want my brother. We are all here for you and for each other.

peace,

johnnyp

sfaoro

Your not a kid but I'll scold you anyway.  Don't play with this stuff especially at your stage of the game and it is a game, between you and your mind.  Try to get over whatever craving as fast as possible and put it behind you.  You truly seem serious about this or as you may have noticed, I wouldn't bother so please don't fool around like that again.  I look forward to TWO WEEKS for you.