cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Fear of the Crave Musings on Day 9

djmurray
0 6 21

I learned yesterday how very  important sharing and getting support from all my EX friends is.  My Day 8 blog talked about my tsunami crave and it was only through the comments that I grasped that fear of the crave is one of the biggest triggers for relapse.  I am a newbie who is learning every day and I can tell you with certainty, that crave activated the liar in my brain who undermines my confidence in my quit, who laughs at my revising my self-image to that of a non-smoker, who promises me comfort if I only relent.  I'm not saying I have a bigger issue with that than anyone else who quits, but yesterday made me realize that I must protect my quit by confronting that liar every time I hear that voice (and sometimes I hear it when I'm not even having a crave!)  DISCLAIMER:  I AM NOT ACTUALLY HEARING VOICES.

I feel very sure that without the information I got from the responses to my post I would have given in to that liar -- maybe not today, maybe not in a week, but eventually.  I know that I cannot "white knuckle" this quit.  With alcoholics they call it a "dry drunk" -- they've stopped consuming alcohol, but they haven't changed their thinking.  I need to sit with the feelings that come up as those craves hit me, and know that they will pass.  And even when they're REALLY BIG craves, I have to not panic, just sit with it until it goes.

So those are my thoughts on Day 9.  I think yesterday actually was the end of "hell" week and I'm now in "heck" week.  I'm not quite so glib about sailing through this quit as I was before yesterday, but I'm confident that every bump in this road is teaching me something. 

6 Comments
Jennifer-Quit

You just have to take it one "bump" at a time.  Before you know it, the bumps are fewer and farther between and don't last as long.  I can honestly say that I haven't had a really bad crave in a long time.  But just last night, I had a very vivid dream of smoking a cigarette and arguing with myself about it.  It seemed so real.  I feel like I should be over all that by now but I guess not - lol.  You are doing great and you have a great attitude.  Believe me - if I can do it - you can too!

Julia_Amy

Wow DJ!  Great blog!  You've got your head on straight my dear!  I agree with all you said.  Confronting my addiction, acknowledging that that is EXACTLY what it is and the rotten liar you accompanies it was how I was finally able to quit.  Congrats!  KEEP that honesty happening!

Barbara145

You are a wise woman, dj.  You now have what it takes to create a lifetime quit.

Strudel

A++  You are a great student! What a wonderful blog! Folks like you keep me coming back here to reach my hand back to the next person coming along! (And, I predict - you will be great at that too - you are already doing it!) Way to go and congrats! 

elvan

I think you are doing beautifully, DJ.  Yes, the addiction will lie to you, it will try to undermine you and tell you that you cannot live without cigarettes.  You will mourn smoking because you will have those moments when you will feel like you lost your "best friend"..  Your "best friend" was trying to kill you.  Your "best friend" was not your friend at all and you have to take this recovery one day at a time, one steop at a time.  You have a really good attitude an you can do this.

Tsaddik1

Thanks for hitting the high points of the crave. It really helped. I'm still struggling to set a new quit date after my last relapse.