cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Excited to be on day 7!!

Livebetter2023
5 8 215

I can’t believe when i go to sleep tonight that it will have been a week since I last smoked!  It’s pretty exciting!

I got a text yesterday from become an ex suggesting that I write down the changes I’ve noticed.  Thought I would share because I think it is pretty remarkable how our bodies work and you see some things change so quickly.   I didn’t expect it so fast and thought it might encourage those about to quit. 

1.  I’m coughing less and definitely coughing up less “stuff”.  Great on the health front but i also used to get really embarrassed if I coughed in front of someone and had crap in my mouth that I needed to spit out.  It was embarrassing and I felt ashamed because i knew it was related to smoking and I felt like people were judging me or disgusted.  I was definitely judging myself and I don’t think I’ve admitted that until now.    I’m shocked how much less I am coughing already and am so happy about it. 

2. I’m surprised how much energy I have because I have more breath in my lungs and it is showing up in unexpected ways.   My hubs and I took the dogs for a walk and went thru a park in our neighborhood.  He jumped up and hit the rim of the basketball hoop.  I tried to do the same and then kept trying over and over  and we were both cracking up but I actually got pretty close.  Afterwards it hit me - i wouldn’t have been able to jump repeatedly like that as easily last week.  Such a fun silly moment that was possible because my lungs are getting stronger ❤️

3.  Singing in the car at the top of my lungs without losing my breath and not realizing it until the song was over.  Even more ironically i was doing it to distract myself from a craving 😊

4  Not being worried about my breath when kissing my husband 

5 I’m shocked that the first cigarette of the morning wasn’t hard to give up and kind of surprised that the work smokes are the hardest.  I’ve got to come up with a better plan for that next week but I’m confident I’ll figure out the right recipe!

Happy Sunday everyone!

8 Comments
About the Author
I’ll be 50 this year and smoked off and on since I was a teenager. I quit for several years at a time- many times. When my kids were younger and I was smoking, I would never smoke in front of them and hid it well and I thought I controlled it well. A few years ago I was on a vacation in Italy and saw people smoking and it looked SO good. I became someone who only smoked “internationally” lol. That didn’t work very well and when some very real stressors popped up at home, I was smoking again full time. But now my kids were in college so I didn’t even have them to regulate me and was soon smoking as much as I ever have. I am quitting because I want to be free. I love to travel. I love to hike. I love to work out (but only when I am not smoking - I’ve missed it). I want to enjoy my life and I want to lose the shame. I felt so much shame about smoking and I want to and will be free.