cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

End of day one - so far, so good!

junipergavalis
0 2 9

It has almost been 24 hours since my last cigarette...I made it through the first day.  According to the experts, so far the following is happening...

After 20 minutes, your blood pressure and pulse rate decrease, and the body temperature of your hands and feet increase.

Carbon monoxide in cigarette smoke reduces the blood’s ability to carry oxygen.

After 8 hours, the carbon monoxide level in your blood decreases to normal. With the decrease in carbon monoxide, your blood oxygen level increases to normal.

After 24 hours, your risk of having a heart attack decreases.

I don't know about all that, but I am feeling pretty good.  I made it through the day without losing my temper or being crabby, I didn't eat too much junk food and I didn't give in.  I would consider that a really, really good day.  I have noticed that I am tired and was a little chilly all day - I really do feel like I am "In Recovery" - ha ha! 

I had a lot of cravings today, the worst ones were driving into work this morning (I have an hour drive to work and used to chain smoke the whole way!) and right after dinner.  But I did it! 

I really feel like with the patch, this is not the hardest part for me - as I learned from the 7 other times I've quit.  The hardest part for me will be about 3 months down the road when I am out at a bar with friends (here in PA some bars still allow smoking inside) and I think "I can just have one".  Or, if I make it through that then I will want to smoke this summer on vacation.  Don't know why, but there is nothing better than relaxing in the sunshine, cool drink in hand and a cigarette - ahhh.  But, I know I can't focus on that right now, one day at a time, right?

2 Comments