cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Elder Wisdom

wendyb
0 10 14

I need a one spot shopping clearinghouse for elder wisdom. Stuff I can look at every single day. Please post 

10 Comments
crazymama_Lori

I may not be an elder, but have you returned for your forever quit?  If so, welcome back and as you know we're all here to help you along the way 😉

JACKIE1-25-15

Sorry,  there is no one stop shopping clearing house for quitting smoking. Quitting smoking is a journey.  Here are a few points to help you to get started.  I shared some of this with you previously.  You have to begin at the beginning. You have come to the right place if you are willing to commit to quitting smoking. This is all about you and what you are willing to do to be a nonsmoker.

Education is the key to success even in quitting smoking.

1.  At EX our resolve is to never smoke again.  NOPE “Not one puff ever I suggest that you follow the steps on the website pages along with reading, writing, studying, researching and blogging if you like.

2. Here is a link to Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Way to Quit Smoking”. an easy read suggested by the “Elders” (those with 1+ yrs. quit).

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

3.  Also check out www.whyquit.com. For additional info.  Look for Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101               

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html

http://whyquit.com/ffn/

4.  Stay close to the site, learn, and ask questions

5.  If you should need something to do for craves, here is a link that will help until you develop your own.   https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/JACKIE1-25-15-blog/2015/07/09/what-is-your-crave-buster

If you take the time to do the work you will have success. Read, Study, Blog, Research Comment, Make friends, Hang Tough, Stay Close and most of all enjoy your commitment to quit smoking.

We are here to support you.

wendyb

Maybe I misspoke. I know it is a journey and I know it is up to me and my willingness. I think what I was asking is, "What is your best and wisest advice given your quitting experience?" What were the missteps? How did you determine it was your final quit? And what helped you most of all? 

Thank you,

Wendy

YoungAtHeart

There were several things that helped make this my final (it was also my first attempt) quit.  The first was education - I read everything suggested to me and finally understood the physical addiction and association/trigger parts of the quit.  After the reading, I think the most important thing I did was to make a decision that I was not going to smoke another cigarette NO MATTER WHAT.  Then - I got my distraction tools together so I was prepared for the craves I knew would come.  I wrote down my reasons for quitting, and what I hoped to gain from it - kept them with me all the time.  I came to this site on my fourth day quit, and read and cheered others on- and continued to learn tips on how to be successful. 

Nancy

MarilynH

I found for me keeping my mind as well as my hands occupied helped me alot plus I kept a bag of sugar free mints around in case of a bad crave and I would give my head a shake when a bad craving did happen and tell myself that I don't smoke anymore and continue on with whatever I was doing. I also learned these mantras here - N.O.P.E - means Not One Puff Ever - S.I.N.A.O - Smoking Is Not An Option - once we get a little time under our belts - N.E.F - Never Ever Forget the early days of our quits, you are going to do great, stay willing, determined and totally committed to succeed and you can and will be successful. 

Thomas3.20.2010
I closed the door. I thought about it and locked the door. I thought for a very long while and I threw away the key! I.e. it's all in your determination. What you believe will come to fruition. I get to decide what I believe. Sickerettes have absolutely no place in my Life! N.O.P.E.! Zero.Zilch.Nada.
Mrs.Rum

Maybe this?  

http://community.becomeanex.org/pg/groups/forum/7735931/

🙂

Let me know if it doesn't help.

Sootie

Wendy----when I was a newbie....one of the elders wrote this:

When you think quitting smoking is too hard, think about this:

How hard it will be to live with an oxygen tank as your every day companion

How hard it will be to tell your kids you cannot take them to the park or run with them around the merry go round

How hard it  will be when your child comes home and says "Johnny can't come to our house because you smoke."

How hard is will be to hear the doctor say....."I'm afraid I have to tell you it is COPD or cancer or heart disease or a stroke

Quitting smoking hard???????HA!

I have never forgotten it. It is chilling.....but so, so true.

Stay Strong.

Giulia

Well, and Hello to you!  Long time no see.

Mrs. Rum gave you the link to the Best of EX, which has a lot of words of wisdom from Elders.   I also have an Elder List on my page.  Click on any link on that list and start reading blogs from the beginning of their quits.  There you will find their journey to wisdom and thus perhaps your own.

You were here back in June of 2015.  You got back in the saddle in September.  Then agan in November.  And here you are again.  Wisdom from those who have gone through the process and come out the other end with a long-term quit will only be of benefit to you if you apply what you learn from their experience to your own. 

There is no "one spot shopping clearinghouse" for wisdom here.  It's splashed all over the place, throughout  the blogs and the responses.  Part of this quitting journey is to take the time to spend some time reading everything you can on here.  Someone's words particularly hit home with you?  Then copy and paste them into a file, print them out, put them in a binder and there's your everyday "go to" for wisdom.

You want a bottom line on quitting - don't put another cigarette in your mouth.  Make quitting a priority, be willing to make some sacrifices, learn about the addiciton by studying the quit plan offered here and by doing your own personal research (as many of us have), and practice self-discipline.  Take it one day at a time and keep a sense of humor about  you.  That's my Elder advice.

Oh, and take what you like and leave what you don't. 

TerrieQuit

Hello, and Welcome to EX, Wendy! Thanks for making me a friend! We are so glad you are here! This is a great place to quit smoking. You have been given links to great information and good advice above. Please do the readings and listen to the Elder's (folks with 1 year + quit) They know a lot about this addiction. Education, willingness to do whatever it takes not to smoke, determination and commitment are the keys to a successful quit!

I would like to recommend a group called The Daily Pledge Group. It's fun and will help reinforce your commitment not to smoke!

Just click on the link below and scroll down and take the person's hand before you and promise not to smoke! We are on page 4. You can state your # of days, post a picture or whatever you want! This is your quit be proud of it! Please join us!

http://community.becomeanex.org/pg/forum/topic/8352460/mother-may-i-no-mother-i-will-keep-my-quit/

This link is also on my page.

Hope to see you there!    Terrie  318 days free!

I Won't Quit on my Quit!