cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Driving without smoking

ReallyReal
4 10 293

One of my big fears in quitting smoking was "how will I be able to handle driving without a cigarette?"  The greater San Antonio area has 2.6 million people and at some hours it feels like every single one of them is on the roadways.  In my mind, and only in my mind, I thought smoking calmed me down while driving and it turns out, that just wasn't true.  Without smoking, without having to look down to flick my ashes or put out the nasty thing, I actually can pay better attention to the traffic around me.  Driving in the city last week, I was pleasantly surprised at my calmness in the midst of heavy traffic.  So I realize my fears were based on just one more lie the nicotine addict brain was telling me.  I am early on in this quit and am going strong.  Thank you to everyone here.  Hope your Sunday is filled with good things. --Raissa

10 Comments
About the Author
I am 59 years old and love my four dogs and two cats, all strays I couldn't turn away. I love to be outside in my yard, watching the birds or puttering around in the dirt. I am so grateful that I let go of those inner voices that kept telling me, It is too late to quit smoking, or, Why quit now? I am so looking forward to being smoke-free.