cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Dreams

Angie-Lah
0 8 155

I hardly ever dream about smoking, but when I do it's usually a pretty vivid dream. My dreams over the last few nights have been especially vivid. Probably has something to do with me coming up on a month of sobriety as well, I sleep better at night than I was the first few weeks. I dreamed the other night that I was at Dad's funeral service, but he was still alive. It was nearly lucid dreaming because dream me knew that he wasn't really alive, but I didn't have the heart to tell him that. It made me cry in the dream so I started to walk away from him before I would have to explain my tears. He asked me where I was going and I turned back and asked "Do you want me to stay with you?" He said, "Well, yea." (With that ~ duh ~ look he would give me sometimes when I asked something silly). I sat down and held his hand, and could barely catch my breath I was sobbing so hard. It upset me enough that it woke me from a dead sleep and I woke my husband up crying. It feels like a mixed blessing, because I feel that I got to hold his hand again, but it was also like re-experiencing his death all over again. I fell back asleep within a half hour or so and immediately fell into a dream where I was with family and friends and was smoking, and sneaking around to get to booze without my husband knowing about it. I hate dreaming about it, because it almost feels like I actually committed the deed, that's how vivid my dreams are now.

Doubling down on protecting my quit, feel especially vulnerable these days but I'm keeping in mind that smoking and drinking won't make anything I'm feeling any better. It may temporarily delay having to deal with it, but then I'll still have to deal with it, on top of losing all my progress. 7 years smoke free, nearly one month sober.

8 Comments
josnyder72

Congratulations on all of your successes....I am a little over a month smoke free and just about 10 days sober.

YoungAtHeart

I think you understand that your grief is the underlying cause of most of your dreams.....so be extra vigilant.  It might help to think about how difficult the early days of your quit were to reinforce your commitment not to go back there.

I am also thinking this might be the first huge loss you have experienced since you quit? This, too, might contribute to your smoking thoughts.  You haven't had much practice in dealing with it all without a drink and a smoke.

Do stay close to us!  We've got your back (and your front!)

Nancy

Angie-Lah

This is actually my first major loss, ever. I've been incredibly lucky in that regard that I've lost no immediate family members or friends up to this point in my life. You're right tho, that I don't have a lot of experience dealing with issues without reaching for a drink. I've gotten pretty good at coping with things without smoking - mainly because I replaced cigs with a drink! Now I get to relearn how to manage stress and grieving without replacing my cigarettes with something equally as unhealthy. I'll be here often  I'm usually lurking around the edges, voyeuristically peeking at people's blogs and conversations lol

Diannnnn

You are doing great Angie. I used to have those types of dreams about my Mom and it always reassured me for some reason.

Hang on to your smobriety and sobriety.....they are both very precious!

Hugs to you.

elvan

Angie-Lah  I remember a similar dream after my father died.  It wasn't a funeral but he was home and he told me that he couldn't stay, I was crying and said that we could HIDE him...he smiled at me and told me that he was okay, he said I could not hide him, it doesn't work that way.  He smiled and I got to hug him and then he was gone.  I, too, woke up sobbing.  I was still a smoker back then so I have no doubt that I smoked in the middle of that night.  It was so real and I swear I could FEEL him.  I can relate to how you feel. You are doing a stellar job...keeping your quit and staying sober.  Congratulations...grief is tough, it comes at us repeatedly and there is no set length of time that it will last...I am so proud of you.

((((HUGS))))

Ellen

bonniebee

I have never been able to let go and cry easily when it comes to real grief I hold it in even though i know it is not healthy I guess it is the way i was brought up . I often woke up crying when grieving my son who died in 1995 . I could "allow "  myself to cry when asleep . funny thing I cry easily when watching a sad movie and i often cry about my own griefs when watching movies ...like it is ok to do so . I know I am strange ! I think I only saw my Mom cry watching movies !

The smoking dreams really bother me too !  This quit I have only dreamed about smoking 2 times in over 2 years .It does make me realize how much I appreciate my quit !

bonniebee

May sound crazy but i truly believe some dreams are More then just a dream ! I felt i really met my grandmother in a dream about a year after she passed . I also met my son Seth the day after he passed he kissed me on the cheek  and then I woke up startled with the realizaton all over again that he had died .

maryfreecig

I take some dreams very seriously. Particularly when they are about loved ones. My brother, baby brother, passed away early this year and I have been among the grieving since that time. He was not well, but no one expected him to pass away.

A few days before he passed away I had a dream of my grandmother. She picked me up in a car I did not recognize as hers. I got into the back seat. She drove on. I said, Gram, would you like me to come by everyday to look in on you? She said, no, everything is all set. We proceeded onward and I wondered what Gram meant.

Just about the same time as that dream-- because it was winter--I dove into a cleanup project upstairs in a room that I don't use much. I've kept an obit of my father on a picture in that room. On the opposite side is a poem by anon. While I was cleaning, I picked up the obit and re-read the poem. What stood out in the poem was as follows: 'don't wallow or feel sad all the time or build a will of sorrow because I am gone--please, instead, do everything as you always have, enjoy life...do it for my sake, do it in my name.' When I put it down, I thought, that's sound advice. Then Johnny was gone.

Those two events have guided me ever since.

Making sense of death is as big a journey as all the love that came before. Shock and grief go hand in hand at first. But I have found that it is a necessary journey to take facing forward and upright...as best I can one day at a time.

It isn't the smoking that stands out to me in your dream, it's that your Dad told you to stay. Don't leave him and don't leave love by choosing addiction. That's what comes to mind. 

Sending a hug your way.