cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Don't Show And Go. Stick Around And Get It Done.

JonesCarpeDiem
1 11 53

11 Comments
MarilynH

You are so right Dale, quitting is definitely not a game, there's so many people dying from smoking related illnesses, the time to quit was yesterday but since that's not an option then today is the day, read everything you can find about quitting smoking and remaining quit and bite the bullet and quit! 

wendyb

That describes me to a "T." Thank you, Dale. I will stick around and get it done. I've played at this long enough. I am willing, I want to, and I will. No more excuses. God bless you.

Jennifer-Quit

YoungAtHeart

The time was like - last week.  Don't put it off.  The life you save may be your own!!

Nancy

NewMe

To all newbies out there, and especially those toying with the idea of quitting on your quit: if you read some of the recent blogs here, you should find several instances where someone did not quit in time, and smoking-related illness took a life. It's not something to mess around with. Quitting can be difficult, but eventually (sooner rather than later) you reach a place where you know it was absolutely the best thing you ever did for yourself. And all of a sudden, staying quit is much easier.

freeneasy

Stick around and discover freedom! It's GREAT!

Giulia

Stop sooner rather than later.  The stakes are higher than you can imagine, the ante keeps going up and there is no "luck" involved.

elvan

All wonderful advice, take it from someone who has half of each lung left after destroying them with smoking.  Oh, if only I could go back and accept the fact that no one is invincible...even ME.  I suffered from T.U. for a long time, Terminal Uniqueness...thought it could or would never happen to me.

Christine13

Thank you, I will stick around and make it work this time.  Wise words from all of you.

Scares me bad to think of what smoking did to me all these years.

bonniebee

I played that game for to long Dale I am so glad that I found this site and all of you wonderful and wise friends !

I plan on sticking around for a long time to come !

One day at a time can add up to a  forever  quit !

TerrieQuit

All of the above is great advice! Stay close!

I Won't Quit on my Quit!

About the Author
Hello, My name is Dale. I was quit 18 months before joining this site and had participated on another site during that time. I learned a lot there and brought it with me. I joined this site the first week of August 2008. I didn't pressure myself to quit. HOW I QUIT I didn't count, I didn't deny myself to get started. When I considered quitting (at a friends request to influence his brother to quit), I simply told myself to wait a little longer. No denial, nothing painful. After 4 weeks I was down to 5 cigarettes from a pack a day. The strength came from proving to myself, I didn't need to smoke because I normally would have smoked. Simple yes? I bought the patch. I forgot to put one on on the 4th day. I needed it the next day but the following week I forgot two days in a row I put one in my wallet with a promise to myself that I would slap it on and wait an hour rather than smoke. It rode in my wallet my first year.There's nothing keeping any of you from doing this. It doesn't cost a dime. This is about unlearning something you've done for a long time. The nicotine isn't the hard part. Disconnecting from the psychological pull, the memories and connected emotions is. :-) Time is the healer.