cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Do you ever think there is a "wrong" time to quit?

shimmr3
0 6 12

I just recently relapsed from smoking. I quit for 9 days, but unfortunately I gave up the fight. There is a part of me that thinks I could've done better if I picked a different time to start. Me and my husband have been struggling with money here lately since he injured himself at his job and took time off from work. I thought it would be a perfect time to quit since I've always wanted to and it would help save us some money. After I quit, it felt like every day I was feeling worse and worse (even by day 9). I have been stressing like crazy about everything, and the cravings I was going through seemed to make my depression and anxiety unbearable. I am just wondering if you guys think I picked a bad time to quit? 

6 Comments
ken46

It is never a bad time to quit. Inside, it may seem like it because of the way you've been trained by the cigarettes. The urges, the craves, the stress, are links to the nico-demon. Yes, it can and will be a long, hard road out of hell; but if you stick around this site, you will find it easier to kick them to the curb. With all the advice, suggestions, and what not, your friends are here for you all the way. Never be afraid to ask for help.

Thomas3.20.2010

Ditto! Ken said it all perfectly IMO!

JonesCarpeDiem

if you are under a dr's care for depression and anxiety, i would have him adjust your medications.

i am not a dr nor do i know your history with these symptoms but I do know many with these symptoms self medicate with nicotine with or without a dr's supervision.

smorgy8513

Honestly?????   I think your addiction is telling you "not a good time now".      No matter when you do it you will question that.    It is a perfect time to quit.....because it is TODAY and a little known fact that people that quit TODAY stand a much better chance of staying quit TODAY!

Go for it, hang in when it gets tough and come here for support.    Did you do the reading?      If not, do it.   If yes, do it again!

We're here to help you!

Sharon

pir8fan

There is no bad time to quit! Life is not going to stop happening while you focus on breaking an addiction! No matter when you quit, bad things are going to happen. And, good things are going to happen as well! If you are questioning the timing of your quit, that is just "junkie thinking".

Do you wake up in the morning and think about whether this is the "wrong" day to breathe? Of course not! You only think about breathing when you can't do it!  Do not question your quit! Breathe, and enjoy it! Because when you can't breathe, absolutely nothing else in the whole world matters!              Tommy

shimmr3

Thank you for all the comments, they are very inspiring and motivating. You guys are awesome. I like that you all give me a kick in the butt- but one that is in the right direction. I was honestly expecting someone to sympathize with me I think when I wrote this post.. but instead of sympathy, you guys gave me information, encouragement, and a will to pick myself up and fight again. And I agree.... it is junkie mentality. You don't realize what it is when you are doing it, but you do once someone points it out to you. and that's EXACTLY what I need. Thanks for all the comments everyone.