cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Disappointed

jfmc
0 17 76

I went to see my counsler yesterday and he postponed my quit day due to unforseen issues that came up. He said I need to refocus on my steps to quit smoking again. Everything I had accomplished got blown all to hell because of domestic issues. So now I'm trying to re-start the process again. My counsler said he will come up with another quit date when he sees improvement in my stress/depression. Back tyo square one. 😕

17 Comments
Puff-TM-Draggin

Wow!  My addiction wishes I had your counseler.

kristen-9-7-15

In my opinion, YOU know when is the best time to quit. I wouldn't let someone tell you when to quit.  There is always going to be stress. This is yours. Own it!  You won't regret it. 

QUIT NOW!

JonesCarpeDiem

Read Dr. Hays blog from yesterday?

JACKIE1-25-15

Your quit date is your own.  No one elses.  You have to start sometime, someday someway somehow no matter what is going on in your life

MePlus3
Smoking does NOT help with stress or depression when you smoke you are just feeding the addiction to make it hush for a while until it's having a fit for the next fix. Things happen good and bad in life whether we smoke or not. Your counselor should be showing you other ways to cope other than smoking not telling you to continue until HE thinks you're ready. YOU set a date, gather your tools, and get busy. Cravings don't kill SMOKING DO! our next breath isn't promised don't let your last breath be taken by the hands of tobacco!
plug66

i have to go along with the majority here, you decide WHEN....i was in counseling for a while, many years ago...just like here....take what helps and leave the rest....i say quit asap

Summer-Rain

I agree with all of the above comments.

The journey continues

crazymama_Lori

well, what do you think?  Do you think you're ready after reading all the material, knowing somewhat what you'll be going through?  Have you discussed with your counselor this disappointment you have?  Sometimes people take the word of a physician or practitioner as gospel and not question their reasoning for it.  I'm sure they have their reasoning for it, but I'd explore that a little further the next time you see them

Thomas3.20.2010

All I can tell you is what happened to me.

I was told by my Counselor some 20 Years ago to not quit smoking "just now" because of anxiety, depression, and PTSD. So I didn't!

6 1/2 Years ago I was diagnosed with COPD - not my Counselor - ME! So now I have depression, anxiety, PTSD AND COPD!

If I could go back and do it again I would ignore my Counselor and follow my instinct!

maryfreecig

Just one more cigarette will never be enough. Just one more pack or one more week of smoking, or one more month of smoking will never be enough.

I put cigarettes ahead of all--they were my rod and staff, so to speak. When I said goodbye, I did so by slipping through the eye of a needle,  a wing and a prayer to borrow some more phrases.  Quitting is not a tidy process for many, but it evolves into something better than what the smokes ever offered. 

I encourage you to choose your own quit date. And I compassionately ask; did your couselor tell you to hold off, or did you say to him, I don't think I can stick to my quit date right now? Just wanted to put that out there, after all no answer is neccessary, it's your business, not mine.

Find your hope.

Rooting for ya.

Mary

Ladybug--7-3-12

Tell me this "counselor" is a never smoker. 

You MUST be willing to be in charge of your own Quit Smoking Program.  It is a YOU thing.  Do your homework (education re Nic Addiction is a must & makes it soooooo much easier when you understand what your body & mind will need to go through & why to get you free!) & do all your prep work (lists, tools, mini-quits, etc.) as if you are preparing for & studying to receive a high passing grade in addiction counselling for yourself (cause the life YOU need to change IS YOURS).

Use the resources that speak to & work for you but don't be afraid to discard the others.  (I chose to move on from a paid smoking cessation counselling program myself.)  Just learn to be in charge of your own destiny. This is your life -- it's YOUR success or failure not theirs.   

(Slinking off to the dog house now for speaking my mind. lol)   

OldBones-Larry

All the above is so true. YOU are the one that has to do the quiting.

A little story ....

Four years ago, I thought I had the world by the tail. Good job, things going well at home, things were great. One night I passed out in my living room. After lots of tests, a blood test showed something terribly wrong with my liver studies. 

Turns out I was having Gall Bladder problems. Pre-surgical tests showed some strange tracings on my ECG. Several test later( Cardiac Cath.) showed major blockage in 3 arteries.

I had been smoking for 42 years. All of these problems can be attributed to my smoking.

I now have days when I can't breath because of COPD. I underwent triple-bypass surgery 3 years ago. I am in Systolic Heart Failure and am lucky if my blood pressure gets to 100/60. I have nodules in both lungs that have to be watched closely. What I thought was just heartburn turned out to be Gastritis and Barret's Esophagus.

I don't tell you all of this to gain sympathy or pity. I am just elling you what smoking can do. 

The sooner you quit, the better.

You have lots of support here.

Just take that first step.

One step, and then another, will get you to where you want to be.

Larry the Caravan Master

jfmc

Thanks to all for the comments. Yes my counselor is an ex-smoker for over five years. He has not told me not to quit smoking, but has just postponed the quit date. He saw me in person and thought I was on the brink of a nervous breakdown and blood pressure sky high. He believes that  can re-focous on my quit plan, but needed more time due to personal issues that I have is affecting my mental health. I will see him in two weeks and have a plan to be back down to 10 cigarettes a day rather than 50. He did give me confidence in what I have already done as far as getting ready for my quit date and also came up with some ideas to help with my palns.

YoungAtHeart

I don't think your counselor was ever a smoker - nor do i believe they are an expert in the field.  With that said, I think I would have another conversation with them about this and stand your ground.  There IS no time like the present, and putting it off further is just creating more addict excuses.  There might never be a better time!

(btw - I changed primary care doctors after I went to mine to talk about NRTs and to get advice on quitting.  I made it my last visit when he said, "oh, just get some patches, slap one on and get some carrot and celery sticks."  Really?   ah, NO!)

Nancy

Sootie

jfmc-----We may seem harsh or "know it all" but it is because we have all........ALL.....learned that smoking does not reduce stress.....it INCREASES IT!! No one ever figures this out until they quit. As far as blood pressure.........smoking certainly does not help your blood pressure.

It is only my opinion but you are giving this addiction too much power. Tell your self that you can do it because millions have. And certainly....within those millions there were many who had a lot of stress in their lives as well as depression and high blood pressure.

A counselor can advise you...for sure. BUT, only you can quit. 

There is no stress free date. Life is filled with stresss always. Please consider setting a new quit date SOON and jump right in. We are here for support.

Stay Strong.

bonniebee

Hi I read all the comments and i aree it is up to you not your counselor. If YOU don't feel ready reset the date but take charge of our life !  You have a power within yourself that you must tap because as everyone here has said stress is a part of our lives we have no control over what may or may not happen in our lives afterwe quit . our job is to stop smoking and learn new ways to cope with stress . The nicotine withdrawal you experience in between each cigarette you smoke is causing you  more stress ! As the level in your blood drops the stress caused by withdrawal rises until you smoke again .

As dale said read Dr Hayes' blog about stress and nicotine .

We are here to help don't wait to long to quit !

DebiD

I agree with all of the above. This is YOUR life. Don't give such an important decision to someone else. I know if someone (Dr.) told me not to quit when I did, I would have told him to jump in the lake. Excuses. Crutches. Let them go.