Share your quitting journey

Did Your Parents Smoke?

JonesCarpeDiem
0 15 28

Mom?

Dad?

Both?

Brothers or Sisters?

my dad smoked a pipe but quit when my twin and I were about 10 so we wouldn't have

him as an excuse to use tobacco.

my mom never smoked

My twin never smoked.

15 Comments
jim117

My dad and two brothers smoked.  My sister and mom did not.

family-first

My whole family (except step dad)...I started by taking mom's...she must have thought she was smoking way too much...

sk51263

Both my parents smoked, my mother quit 2 days after me and is still smoke free 🙂

zinamarie

My Dad smoked, I use to smoke his brand, and one brother and my sister still smoke.

coug

My mom smoked and out of 6 kids 2 of us smoked

obz900

Dad still smokes. He's 49. I don't think he realizes the effect it's having on his health. Do any of you have experience with talking to loved ones about quitting?

JonesCarpeDiem

You might just tell your dad

"dad? I think it would be good for you to quit smoking.

It would be nice to have you around when your grandkids are growing up"

maggie_8-1-2010

Both of my parents smoked and each quit around the age of 50. Mom first.

Only one brother of 3 smoked but he quit almost a year ago along with his wife. 

My sister never smoked - anything! She is 10 years younger than I am.

I don't live near any of these people but none of my friends smoke and nieither does my son. 

Pretty cool right?

misty_dawn

No one smoked.  Not a parent, aunt, uncle, brother or sister.  

4 out of 8 of us kids smoked, 2 of us have quit, 1 is on/off again and 1 smokes all the time.

My older brother and I were the first to start smoking, though.

2012_is_for_me

Mom smoked until I was 10 and she quit because I nagged her so badly (yes, I know, we've all noted the irony).  Dad smoked a pipe until I was 16.  Though they didn't mean to, my parents influenced 4 out of 5 of their kids to become addicted to nicotine (that's not blame b/c everyone has a choice).

My sister quit her closet habit three months ago; my brother who had heart attack at age 49 still smokes; other brother chews and I quit a month ago; My other sister never smoked -- lucky her!  So weird typing all of this out b/c so many people who meet my family say how "Brady Bunch" we are. Wow.  Not so much. 

MoeUnfiltered
Wow Dale a twin.I always think that must be so cool. I am a proud member of a Family Of Quitters. My Dad smoked k**ls (if you smoke k**ls we can't help you-famous sign at Massachusetts general)As a kid I could locate dad in a big store by his cough. Anyway i had jobs young and was happy to afford my very own cigarettes since 13.Dad started at 8 years old.He has emphysema but quit in 2007!! Dad quit and paved the way for me and my brother.I came in last but not dead last.I don't care that his smoking may have effected me,I only care that he quit.It amazed me ,his quit amazed like I can't even decribe ..no words,he paved the way.Moe quit 1 year,11 months,3 weeks +.Not one puff no matter what!
jojo29

my dad smoked till hewas 30yrs old then he quit cold turkey,i was goin on 12 yrs old i remember that like yesterday,he got a bad case of broncititis, at the kitchen table he said screw this, crushed them and never lookedback, hes a healthy 75 yr old man,very healthy.. mom smoked till she was 55, gota copd ,quit on the spot, got lung cancer 15 yrs later, i smoked 40 yrs, my middle sister smoked mayb 3 yrs she was married and prego at 18 & quit,never smoked agian, now my kid sister, shes smokin still.

out of all 4 of my kids, im proud to say not one of them smoke..:))

Thomas3.20.2010
Both parents - all siblings... I remember clearly sitting on my Mother's lap and playing with the smoke rings....Crazy!
Ex_Nancy

Both parents smoked and all siblings except for my oldest sister...My father used to say     " a family that smokes together chokes together".

MarcieWhosoever

was just me and mom for years. She smoked. I never remember being bothered by her smoke. She smoked in the house. I never thought it stunk, i never remember having a hard time breathing. She smoked ALOT! I dont know why it didnt bother me. Now she has severe COPD and has been quit well over a year when she almost died fro her COPD and got pnemonia.

Then my 2 bros came. They hated smoke. Gagged pitched a fit, HATED IT! all of a sudden BOTH bros started smoking in their 20's! Oh I am pissed at them for it. WHat fools. At least when I started regualarly i was VERY VERY young. They hated it their whole lives and still ended up starting. I dont ge it. Now they both smoke and i wanna slap them.

About the Author
Hello, My name is Dale. I was quit 18 months before joining this site and had participated on another site during that time. I learned a lot there and brought it with me. I joined this site the first week of August 2008. I didn't pressure myself to quit. HOW I QUIT I didn't count, I didn't deny myself to get started. When I considered quitting (at a friends request to influence his brother to quit), I simply told myself to wait a little longer. No denial, nothing painful. After 4 weeks I was down to 5 cigarettes from a pack a day. The strength came from proving to myself, I didn't need to smoke because I normally would have smoked. Simple yes? I bought the patch. I forgot to put one on on the 4th day. I needed it the next day but the following week I forgot two days in a row I put one in my wallet with a promise to myself that I would slap it on and wait an hour rather than smoke. It rode in my wallet my first year.There's nothing keeping any of you from doing this. It doesn't cost a dime. This is about unlearning something you've done for a long time. The nicotine isn't the hard part. Disconnecting from the psychological pull, the memories and connected emotions is. :-) Time is the healer.