cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Decoration Day

Jennifer-Quit
0 14 16

Eight years ago on the first Sunday in May, I went to my Mother's to go to the annual Decoration Day Service at the country cemetery where many of my ancestors are buried.  Decoration Day was the social event of the year in this small community and my Mother never missed it.  She got a new outfit and her hair and nails were always freshly done. 

But this Sunday was different.  She did not feel well and did not go.  She went to the doctor several times and they really just gave her the run-around.  Told her that she needed to go to a nursing home.  This went on for too long and I went to the doctor with her and "threw a little red-headed fit" and insisited on tests.  A couple of days later she was diagnosed with lung cancer and a brain tumor that was pressing on her brain stem.  She died 6 weeks later. 

She had smoked for many years but had been quit for around 9 years when she was diagnosed.  I believe that she would want to send this message to everyone out there who is struggling with the decision to quit and stay quit:  Quit before it is too late - no one should have to die such an undignified death!

This afternoon I am attending the Decoration Day Service in her honor!  I am asking anyone having temptations to smoke, please do not smoke today in honor of my beautiful Mother!

14 Comments
YoungAtHeart

This event must be difficult for you.  I am very proud that you chose to attend in her honor.

Good for you!

Nancy

sparky26

I want to b**ch slap that doctor !  You honor your mom by sharing her story with us ,I can tell this is still very painful , thank you Jennifer. I will not smoke today .

djmurray

I will be thinking of you and your mom today, and will not smoke.

annb
Thank you for sharing this Jennifer. Bless you and you are making your Mom proud. oxox
Barbara145

Hi Jennifer.  My grandmother lived in Ravenswood West Virginia and was all about decoration day also.  I remember it as a child.  In honor of your Mother I will not smoke today.

Newfound_Joy

Thank you for sharing this personal, touching story, Jennifer.  I will honor your mother today, and I pledge not to smoke today.

elvan

Beautiful blog, Jennifer.

bonniebee

It is almost Mothers Day and what a nice way to honor your Mom Jennifer .

My mom died of a brain tumor also and it was very quick from the time of the diagnosis. She was only 60 years old and was still a smoker I miss her very much .

Strudel

God bless you Jennifer - you honor your mother with your beautiful quit - and this blog! Thank you! 

MarilynH

Thank you for sharing this with all of us, you are a strong lady and your Mom would be so proud of your quit and going in her honor to the Decoration Day at the cemetery. 

janet97

Thanks for sharing, we have a decoration thing also, we do it on Memorial Day, I guess that really is what Memorial Day is all about, I know what you mean though, my mother went to the ER here and they also sai d nothing was wrong , ahe died a couple days later with upper respiratory failure, when I go to the cemetary this year, I will think of you!

swilson2

We used too gather flowers from our yards put them in jars with water and place them on our family graves, things are very different now days. Jennifer, in your mother,s honor i will not smoke today.

linda.mustafa

Dear Jenn, I'm so sorry for your loss, it is the hardest thing ever !

Your mother would have been so proud with you !

A very good reminder of the dangers that this poison inflicts upon people.

Papa-Mark
I know this is a late post. But Thanks for sharing.
About the Author
I am a 63 year old single woman. I quit smoking at 55 and my only regret is that I did not quit sooner. Freedom from cigarettes is truly a wonderful feeling!