cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Days 14 and 13 to Quit Day: Preparing

cmac70
0 5 10

My husband and I have decided to do this together...again. Yesterday he chose our quit date as August 1st. That is giving us 14 days to get ready to quit. I was reading through this site and it inspired me to begin my preparations to be smoke free. 

The first thing I did was throw out our ashtrays. Last time we tried to quit I had just stored them away, "Just in case" I figured that would show my first commitment to this being the time we stop. Then I started cleaning the furniture in the living room, dusting, vaccumming, and febreezing, to remove any smoke odors. I plan on getting an upholstery cleaner and really cleaning it but I haven't gotten it yet. I texted my honey and told him no smoking in the house...we are starting now to make it a smoke free zone. He readily agreed.

Last night we set some rules. If one of us slips, there isn't to be any sneaking or hiding. We need to be upfront and honest about it. I'm hoping by us admitting it and discussing it we can help each other figure out what caused the slip and encourage one another to keep going. Last time I needed him for something and found him crouched out back hiding and smoking. He looked so ashamed that I caught him. I didn't make him feel bad, at least I tried not to, so got that rule put out there this time. 

Another rule is to make sure we reward ourselves. Choose at what goals we can go celebrate. 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, etc. Since this is a team effort I decided we should celebrate together. Maybe use the money we saved from not smoking and do something fun for both of us. Dinner and a movie, throw a bbq and invite friends over, go camping, to the beach, or fishing, you get the idea...

Today, 13 days from  our quit date, I have taken down all my curtains to wash them, I have our blinds soaking in a bath tub with dawn dish liquid and apple cider vinegar. I read some where it helps deodorize and remove sticky dust. I will pull down the wall hangings one room at a time and start dusting and cleaning them. I have gotten some scented candles and scent crystals to add a nice smell to the house.

This daily preparation is getting me excited and looking forward to our quit date. I have already seen a decrease in the amount I'm smoking since I'm having to step outside to light up. I am encouraged about being smoke free. I know we haven't faced the withdrawls yet, but I definitely feel this is helping. Last time we kind of looked at it with doubt and dread. We made it 3 weeks, so maybe with a more positive attitude and going through all this trouble it will keep us on track.

5 Comments