Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Day T-14

aspruill
0 9 92

I want to first thank everyone that welcomed me 🙂

Today starts my countdown to my quit day. I stocked up on some hard candy and sunflower seeds yesterday and I have my exercise bike in the living room. I can't do cold turkey, been there done that...and failed miserably!  So I'll be cutting down little by little over the next 14 days. I normally smoke a pack a day, maybe a little more or a little less, depending on what I'm doing that day.

This morning I woke up at 8 am. Made myself wait 10 minutes before my first smoke. For as long as I can remember I've had one as soon as I crawl out of bed. I through on my tennis shoes, grabbed some water, and hopped on my bike for 20 minutes. Had breakfast, did a little of this and that, and my second smoke almost 2 hours later. Big improvement considering I normally smoke 2 right when I get up, and then a third not long after.

Step by step...slowly but surely I will get there!

9 Comments
YoungAtHeart

GREAT plan.  Be sure to spend some time educating yourself on what  nicotine does to your body and mind.  I cannot stress enough how important this is.  For example, you will learn that the "high" from smoking a cigarette is gone almost as soon as the cigarette is smoked, and the receptors in your brain start demanding to be fed - that's why you smoke 2 when you first get up and a third soon thereafter.

Be careful not to reduce your cigarettes to five or less before your quit date.  Doing so puts you in  constant withdrawal and makes you more uncomfortable than you need to be. If yo get down to five, it's time to just quit!

We are glad you are here!

Nancy

aspruill

I'm reading a book someone linked on here. I'm on chapter 6 currently. I'm trying to decide if starting the patch 7 days before my quit day would be beneficial.

JonesCarpeDiem

You can use the patch until your quit date but you cannot use the patch and smoke at the same time.

The secret to quitting is unlearning the reaching and the hand to mouth motion over a time period.

Please read my page it will tell you what to expect and when.

JonesCarpeDiem

and yes, just delaying them is learning you don't have to smoke every time you think of amoking.

Kepping a count and making a daily allowance becomes frustrating when you want one and you're past your daily allowance. Learning you don't need opne every time you want one is much more important in my opinion.

Junior7

Wonderful! 

Thomas3.20.2010
WELCOME!
Strudel

So glad you are doing the reading to prepare! That - plus stay close here! Keep blogging - ask questions! Please remember what Dale said - you can't use the patch AND smoke. (That is very dangerous.)

You can do this!! 

Storm.3.1.14

Reading about your use of delay tactics almost made me clap and cheer! That is excellent work! Apply those startegies to other "smoke breaks", too, okay? 

Heed what Nancy said: Do not cut back to less than 5 cigarettes. It will turn your days into nothing more than hungering and yearning for the next smoke. That's cruel. And unnecessary. Cut back slowly and sensibly over the next 14 days. As weird as it sounds, it's easier to walk away from an 8-a-day habit than it is to quit a 3-a-day habit. 

Patches are NOT designed to easy the feelings in between cigarettes. No, no, no! Save them for your quit date, follow the instructions in the box, and QUIT THEM when you've reached the end of the "treatment". (We'll be here for you for that part, too.)

I really smile when I think about your methodical preparations. GOOD WORK!

Giulia

You're doing it All Right.  You're becoming a little squirrel and hoarding your supplies in your "to be" quit kit for the future (the hard candies, the sunflower seeds..) .  I've been on this site for 5 years (quit for 😎 and have an instinct for those who will make it.  You've got what it takes.  You're preparing strongly, you have a positive mindset, you're willing to do the work and you know yourself pretty well.  You know what works for you, what doesn't, and what you need to do to succeed at this.  I don't see any failure in your future.  I hope you don't either!