cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Day 85 - why did it just get harder?

ekwinimity
0 5 9

For some reason the cravings have resurfaced with a vengence.  I didn't know that the holidays would be one long and intense trigger.  These cravings have caught me by surprise and I'm not responding well.  I don't think I'll break down and smoke, but I'm surprised at how strong these cravings are.  Telling myself NOPE is helping most of the time.  Just gritting my teeth and waiting the cravings out is also helping.  What do you do when you're surprised with an intense craving?  

5 Comments
SarahP

You're in No Man's Land -- have you heard of this? It's months 2-3-4 of a quit. You are in the transition away from the intense focus of quitting and back to living your day to day life. Emotional cravings and smoking thoughts can pop up out of nowhere and really catch you off guard. 

Cope the same way you did in your first month -- ignore the craving, kick it to the curb, don't give it any attention. Remember NOPE and all the reasons you quit, and remember all the good things that are happening now that you're smoke-free. 

If you haven't read it already, here's a link to an important blog on Dale's page explaining what happens in No Man's Land:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/05/24/no-mans-land-da...

The bottom line is, this is normal and it WILL pass. You're doing great! 

Ex_Nancy

Thank the Lord you finally came here!   You are also dwelling on a crave or smoking thought.   After about 80 days you got relaxed and thought you had it beat, the BAM! you got hit with a seasonal or holiday trigger that you DIDN'T expect. Not to worry, NEVER DWELL on a smoking thought, DISTRACT and kick the thought to the curb instead...remember, distract and kick it to the curb! It's like last year when you picked out a Christmas tree you smoked when you picked it out, when you took it home, when you set it up, and AGAIN when you put the lights on it.....SO, with the tree alone last year you smoked a TON of CHEMICALS and each step this time may have given you a trigger. One that I hadn't expected was a short vacation and walked into a beautiful room overlooking the beach and it had a pretty balcony...BAM! I used to always smoke on those balconies....I saw what it was and kicked the thought out of my head...DO NOT worry, those thoughts will become weaker and weaker...tell them NOPE! You're doing fine ek!!! ♥

froguelady

Sarah and Nancy are right on. At 85 days the newness of your quit is over, you let down your guard and BAM smoking thoughts hit full force. This is an addiction it will always be with us but we don't act on it. The longer you go smoke free the easier it will be to ignore when these urges hit.  They will get farther and farther between. Don't let this scare you for you are doing great. Something just triggered a memory  that's all.

froguelady

christmas stockings
Christmas comments and graphics" />

JonesCarpeDiem

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow