Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Day 7!!!

rah2014
0 7 27

I made it one week!!! Mostly....

Yup, big uh-oh.

Here's what happened.

Not smoking wasn't bothering me in the least. I was enjoying my coffee, and cutting down remarkably on how much coffee I drank throughout the day! I was enjoying my clean car, my clean clothes, my clean teeth, and room and house. I geniunely enjoyed everything smelling and being cleaner. The "fog" of quitting smoking was lifting, I didn't feel like sleeping all the time. I wasn't replacing cigerettes with anything anymore (like gum, lollipops, etc)  I was becoing more active and alive again. Life was good and I was feeling good. I saw benefits everywhere I looked, and the thought of smoking actually disgusted me.

Things have been rough between my husband and I lately, and our crazy household full of mixed children/adults. I knew this the day I looked at my pack of cigerettes and thought, I don't even want to smoke anymore, and decided when that pack was gone I was done. But we all know that there's truly no "right" time to quit smoking. If you look for it there is always an excuse to put it off.

The last few days things have been really bad at home. My husband and I have been arguing almost non stop. Well, we do stop, when we're hardly saying a word to each other because the kids are around. Twice we got into it really, really bad and we both said mean things, but his words hurt so badly. I felt so insecure, belittled, meaningless, hurt, like a failure. I didn't know how to feel, what to think, what to do. I didn't even want to smoke, I knew it was bad for me, I knew it would do nothing for me, and I knew it would only make me feel worse, and I lit a cigerette, smoked it, and with the raging headache and upset stomach it caused went outside and cleaned my car in a fury because it was a step before packing my bags and moving out.

I got the odd twinge of wanting a cigerette, but due to cleaning the car and my toddler following me outside I couldn't just leave her outside to go roll another one. After awhile my husband came out and helped me finish up the car and suggested we go to the lake and cool off. The hunger for a cigerette was still holding on for dear life but I knew better by then and rode it out. I didn't even enjoy the lake because I was constantly waiting for something to happen, waiting to go home, waiting for the cigerette I didn't even want.

By the next morning the cravings had completely cleared and I was SO SO SO proud of myself for not letting that one cigerette turn into a full blown failure. I knew for a fact I did not want to return to the smokers life.

The next day things got really bad again. Again, my husband said words that made me feel so badly, indescribely unimportant. (keep in mind i'm no angel either) I dropped him off at work, came home and smoked a cigerette, a while later a half a cigerette, only because I couldnt get the darn roller to roll a full one. I got sick to my stomach. My head hurt. It tasted awful. It was doing NOTHING for me. And I knew it. I acknowledged all of it.

I picked up my husband from work, went about our evening. Finally, after hours of "busying" myself I went in and asked him if he was just not going to talk to me or what. He said something to the effect of nope, i'm just sick of you. And that's where it went. I walked away, got a bath, and a good hour or two later rolled up a cigerette because I was just done quitting. 

I smoked 5 cigerettes before the night was over. Almost forcing each one. All the while knowing perfectly well that I didn't want to smoke. I stubbed the last one out before bed and thought to myself that this is ridiculous. I went to bed, with an immense headache from smoking, knowing that I truly did not want to smoke and that I needed to get back on track. I awoke this morning fine. Poored some coffee, and after a good ten minutes went and made a cigerette, noticing that it wasn't ever a cigerette that I had enjoyed with my coffee. I enjoyed my coffee a ton when I wasn't smoking.... I NEEDED my coffee in order to enjoy that cigerette. Otherwise I sat, coughing, needing to have a drink to soothe my throat. I packed my husbands lunch, drove him to work, came all the way home, began cleaning and smoked another one.

WHAT AM I DOING?! So I sat, stubbornly rolling with humid tobacco in a crappy roller and finally got three cigerettes rolled. I told myself, "self, when these three are gone, you are done." The second to last I only smoked half and threw it out the window. The last one I smoked about a third of.

I have a feeling I'm going to have to go back through the mess of fighting off cravings now. Which really sucks. But I know I don't want to be a smoker. Don't want to be stinky and have ashes everywhere and be dependent. I figure it's easier picking back up now then letting myself go full blown back into smoking and then trying again.

But..... why? Am I absolutely crazy? Who smokes when they have absolutely NO desire to smoke, knows it's not what they want, and are just so miserable that they actually want to mess up what they had going? And I get it, I need something else to do when I get so miserable, so overwhelmed, so lost. Talk to someone. Cry. Scream. So many other choices I had, but I didn't chose to do them, why not? Why can't I reach out before it's too late for help?

And yes, after no more than 10 cigerettes, I am DONE! But how do I keep my quit?! Why, when I want it so bad and don't find anything desirable from smoking is this even an issue at all?

P.S. My nicotine patches seem to be about useless.... thinking of making a go at it without them? Save the hassle of them always falling off. Opinions? Advice? Anyone been in these shoes?

7 Comments
YoungAtHeart

First of all, I hope you weren't smoking while wearing a patch. You can OD on nicotine that way!

It seems to me that you are “romancing” that cigarette. You remember a time when life was good, you were happy and content, and you so want to go back to that time/place. That memory includes a cigarette because, well, we ALWAYS had a cigarette back then, didn't we? In fact, a cigarette in no way contributes to our being happy and content ---- butt we remember it as so. There is no way smoking a cigarette is going to make life good again. YOU need to figure out how to do that for yourself.

TALK to your husband, call a truce. Decide ahead of time what you will do when you are upset with each other – and yelling awful things is not on the table. Take a time out until the anger dissipates and then talk about what made you angry? If it is something you can change, then do it. If not, learn to let it go. I read somewhere that a healthy argument never includes the word “YOU.” It only includes “I” - how your actions make ME feel, affect me.

I hope this helps?

Nancy

kristine5-27-14
  It really breaks my heart to admit it but... after a fight with my husband is when cravings are the worst! I did some soul searching and after weeks of those angry, hurt and tearful moments, I realized that I wanted to smoke to get back at him. I know he doesn't like it when I smoke and I was craving cigarettes as a way to show him how pissed off I was. What scared me even more was I found myself not caring about the consequences. I know smoking will shorten my life. I know what cancer looks like. I've seen the horrors of heart disease and its effects on a family. But in those moment after a fight- I told myself I didn't care.  

When I came to the full realization of it all I felt like punching my own face: I do care about my health and its influence on my family. I love my husband and when I am in my right mind- (when my crazy is safely tucked away) I really don't want to do anything to hurt him. 

Not sure if you are experiencing any of those feelings, but my hubby and I also tend to get a little verbally abusive when the fights get too intense. My heart goes out to you my friend! Please let me offer some heart-felt encouragement and a cyber hug:

-Fights like these are signs of personal lack of control (controling my sharp tongue is something I struggle with) -and are not necessarily a sign of a weak marriage. (something I wish people would have told me)
  -It takes a lot of strength for you to come and be so honest and seek help!
  -Quitting smoking isn't just about ending a bad habit: smoking changes our personalities and our thinking processes. It will take time to reprogram your brain. I feel like my quit has been a total soul-make-over! 🙂
  -Protect your quit like you protect your marriage. Each and everyday it takes effort and care. Neglect will see it suffer but tending it and feeding it with love will make it flourish.  

Finally- if any of this is over-kill or not/applicable please know that it is offered with the best of intentions.♥♥♥ May God bless us all with strength for each day and bright hope for tomorrow!
Junior7

Sending well-wishes your way!  You can do this!

rah2014

I'm glad to know i'm not crazy! Well, that at least i'm only crazy some of the time 🙂 I can see how what each of you have said can relate, and i've probably been doing a little of both romancing and smoking to "get even". I truly appreciate all the advice and insights. This is an eye opening/ soul revealing journey and, well, sometimes in all this soul searching I get lost looking for the right answers!

I was feeling absolutely ridiculous for sitting here having the thoughts of wanting a cigerette, that I know are just created by my forcing myself to smoke a few cigerettes that I didn't even want and all I could think is why would I even do that?! And how do I make sure I don't again!

Truth is, there was a reason or I wouldnt have done it, some part of my brain wanted a cigerette.Your advice and insight into helping me handle this emotional/situational trigger are priceless to me. thank you so much!

joyeuxencore

I read your blog but am confused...you said day 7 but you smoked?? I am so sorry to hear about the trouble with husband. Quitting smoking leaves our emotions raw as we learn to 'feel' and 'be' outside of the smokescreen. It takes time…Anger is intensified & wanting to ‘smoke at’ somebody is normal…Doesn’t mean you have to DO it. Maybe this link can help:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Leeza-blog/2013/08/25/letter-to-give-your-loved-ones-when-y...

nnm2359

Hi friend, I am on day 4 and I could not relate MORE to how you feel. We are not even married yet, only engaged, and no kids either but we have been having some fights lately. We BOTH are quitting. And we have said mean things. Please remember the days that you love him more than anything and keep pushing through. You guys need to talk. But not when you can't hear each other and just talk at each other. Let it pass, wait it out, the right time will come for you both to compassionately talk. Our therapist once told us that they thing that draws a couple to each other is often the thing that drives us the most crazy. We storngly believe in therapy. Not even now that we are engaged. Even when we were dating, we would go see someone if we had a big fight that we needed help with. What did we find out each time after the session? The issue is just not understanding each other. Take a step back, see the big picture. and PLEASE don't smoke another one. It will not make anything better. You can do this! We all believe in you. Own this and be kind to yourself. Big hug for you!