cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Day 7 insomnia

SisBB
1 6 90

I'm awake in the middle of the night again hoping the NyQuil that I just took will kick in soon.

Oddly, not smoking had DECREASED my appetite. That’s about the only good thing that’s come out of this crazy withdrawal though. I think I even lost a few pounds. Anyone else experience that?

6 Comments
Cousin-Itt

sleeplessness or insomnia after quitting smoking. It is observed that insomnia is one of the most common withdrawal symptoms

Here is a link from  "verywellmind" that might help

12 Ways to Relieve Insomnia When You Quit Smoking

https://www.verywellmind.com/ways-relieve-insomnia-when-quit-smoking-2824683

sweetplt

Sorry you can’t sleep...I didn’t have loss of appetite, but I think I would have liked that withdrawal...LOL...I hope as I write this you are sleeping in La La Land...keep that beautiful quit ... keep close to us for support...~ Colleen 465 DOF 

Congratulations on 7 days of Freedom ! Super 

YoungAtHeart

I couldn't link to Cousin's article and don't know if my suggestions were included - but I will press on regardless!  Caffeine has a stronger effect on you when you quit smoking, and you should not have any after about 3:00 PM.  You should also turn off all electronics at least two hours before bed, be sure your room is completely dark and cool.  You might try using the supplement Melatonin, or get some naturally by heating up a bit of milk (with vanilla and a bit of sugar if you don't like the taste) right before bed. 

Benadryl (if you can take it)  has the side effect of drowsiness.  I think it's what's used in Nyquil,  is MUCH cheaper and without the things that aren't needed.  Not for long term use, though.  There is evidence that it might contribute to dementia in older folks.

Nap if you can in these early days, but keep going!  It WILL get better!

Congrats on making it through H#ll Week!

Cousin-Itt

SisBB‌  I don't know why the site won't work but if you Go out on the web and type 

12 Ways to Relieve Insomnia When You Quit Smoking "verywellmind"   it should pop up for you

Barbscloud

Insomnia can be another common side effect of quitting smoking.   Remember these side effects are temporary.   Wish I could say my appetite decreased.  I'm jealous.   You're doing great-be patient with yourself.

Barb

elvan

Cousin-Itt‌ I could not link to the article either...