cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Day 6

ldny
0 6 11

Today is Day 6 for me.  I woke up this morning and was less desperate for a nicorette losenge than previous days.  I changed up my morning routine a little and have been walking a different route to the train.  That has helped.  I am still imagininge smoking in various activities-- like in between the wash and dry cycle at the laundry mat-- and wondering, how does one do laundry without smoking?  How does one walk from the subway to the chiropractor without smoking?  How does one walk the dog without smoking?  All of these activities that have usually involved smoking for me (mostly walking).  BUT trying to remember that the longer I go, the more I will re-learn my routines, and they will become more and more separate from the concept of smoking.  I'm reading Allen Carr's materials per a member's suggestion, which is very insightful and helping. It's true-- I do feel DEPRIVED.  Like "it's not fair I can't smoke".  This dialogue in my head keeps running!  And then I try to check it, and remind myself that I didn't always feel the need to smoke, and one day (hopefully soon) will again not feel the need.

6 Comments
LouiseR

Be sure to drink lots of water. Maybe keep straws around to chew on.  I liked to at the beginning of my quit suck on blow pops and do slow deep breathing.  The more smoke free days you stack the better it gets.  I never thought I would be able to sit by a fire and not smoke or even drive but I kept telling myself I don't smoke anymore I don't need those stinkerettes and after a while I couldn't beleive I would go weeks and weeks without even thinking of smoking.  You can do this!

Mrs.Rum

You do all of that by just doing it.  "A non-smoker would just walk the dog, so I'm just going to walk the dog."  And you do it over and over and over.  Then one day you just walk the dog without thinking about it.

It's very mindful at first.  Everything is very calculated, until the day things just start to happen.

"A non-smoker would just <whatever it is>, so I'm just going to <do whatever it is."  

You can do this.

YoungAtHeart

You can do all of those things.  Think of something ELSE to take the place of those cigarettes...maybe some lollipops or sugarfree gum - or cut up straws, or slow, dep breaths, or maybe an iPod for music? 

Part of this journey is to relearn your life without them.  You are reinventing your life without those poisons!

Nancy

selmccal

You know... I think one of the toughest things for me has been my car. I live in LA so the traffic is just terrible. I think... how... do people get through this traffic without lighting up? There have been several moments (a lot of those moments were accompanied by a few choice words built from road rage) that I have been desperate to go pick up a pack and start up. I would say, it's just for the road home then you can toss them out. But then it's like... Okay but then what about tomorrow? You're going to be in the same traffic jam tomorrow. Then what about when you don't want to keep throwing away your money so you buy ONE pack and extend your quit day. and so on and so forth. Luckily for me, in those desperate times when my other methods have not worked, it has been simply too difficult for me to get to a gas station while the crave is happening. So I tell myself, by the time you get all the way to the exit and to the gas station to pick these up... the crave will be over and you will have wasted your time. Keep trucking, Keep trucking. 

I find that singing, not well but whatever, singing has helped me. At the Laudromat (I have the same issue you do), I bring a sketch book or knitting. I.. am not good at knitting but I read it is super helpful so I am currently learning. I figured one day when I am a grandmother this will come in handy. 🙂 

KEEP GOING! You can totally do this! 

Strudel

You will get there - really! You are well on your way! Congrats on 6 days! A mantra helps when those thoughts pop in - like "I don't do that anymore." Or "I'd rather breathe than smoke." Or......whatever you want to say each time! 

djmurray

I also found it very helpful in the very early days to distinguish between a crave (that empty, yearning feeling) and a memory.  When I realized that a lot of the thinking I did about smoking was simply remembering that I smoked in this or that situation, but I wasn't really craving a smoke.  Then those moments weren't threatening, and I could plan for the craves and what I would do when I had them.  I almost NEVER have craves now, but still do have the memories.  Also, there is a great deal to be said for deep breathing.  I have gotten over the feeling that the car won't run without me lighting up, but in traffic I still have at least mini-craves sometimes, and when that happens I do deep breathing.  Works every time!