cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Day 6 cold turkey - insomnia

JuJuCFruit
3 11 182

Before quitting smoking on the rare occasion that I had insomnia. I used to smoke until I could fall asleep. 

Now on day 6 of cold turkey at 4:00 in the morning,  I have insomnia without my cigs. 
SO I am writing this blog. 

Still feeling that I cannot be productive without smoking but will have to learn that I can be. 
Any tips on dealing with insomnia without smoking? 

11 Comments
MarilynH

A very good morning to you @JuJuCFruit many of us here at Ex went through the lack of sleep ugh along with the withdrawals and moodswings it's going to get better but in the meantime is there any way you can get in a nap during the day? If not maybe you could check with your pharmacist to see if you could take melatonin at bedtime or Gravol, I took 5 mg of melatonin which helped me get some sleep, huge hug and a super congrats on your precious quit journey YAY for each and every Day WON with many more to come. 👍

green1611

Stay on your quit. 

Quitting cold turkey makes brain hungry of nicotine.  So it makes you wake and keep thinking I should smoke.... may be !

I did cold turkey quit and my experience is that insomnia was temporary, and vanished as number of days without smoking increased. 

Tryout if you can go for walk, long walk, some physical exercise, (if allowed to do ), and also some of yoga techniques !

And reduce coffee tea intake possibly.

All the best !

Barbscloud

@JuJuCFruit  This is common for many and should resolve itself in a few weeks.  For now, get up and be productive like you did this morning posting to the EX.     There are lots of things you can try for insomnia--there are meditation videos on YouTube that I found helpful.

But I'm up an early every morning anyway.  It's just habit.

Yea for day 6.

Barb

Ex_Nancy

Soon enough you'll feel better than ever so keep in mind your entire system is in a healing mode. Get sleep when you can and keep your focus on getting rid of the old addict thinking. It's hard to see right now but cigs limited your productivity tremendously, physically and mentally. This too shall pass - Congrats at day 6 cold turkey!  🙂  Satisfaction from achievement not easy things..jpg

maryfreecig

Just before I quit (and I was about 2.3 weeks into my pre-quit at this point), I was sitting at my piano about ready to play, but having an urge to smoke. Because I'd tapered back a little each day, at that crave moment it dawned on me that the time would soon arrive when smoking would no longer be a choice. In that moment, I was shocked to discover that I put smoking first. It was not a moment of awakening, but a depressing moment instead. Deep down inside I didn't believe that anything else could be #1 but smoking.

Now 7.5 years later, everything and anything else is #1, smoking is not. But I identify with your experience that smoking makes you feel/be more productive. I felt that way at the start (and I felt cheated). Addiction/dependency does that to a mind.

Even though I could not see through the fog of my thinking, I did stick to one day at a time, one step, then another. Action made sense to me--because that is where I felt comfortable--don't smoke, take a walk, read a book, take a nap, go to a flea market, watch youtube. I could not lecture myself into happiness, I had to take the right action of not smoking, no matter what. Knowing that I was doing what was best for myself, best for my health was cold comfort. But whether I put a cigarette to my mouth was something I had absolute control over--and being defiant that I would not smoke no matter what, well, that did comfort me in a way.

Seven days of working your quit--that's big! That's everything. I wish you the best one day at a time. Keep searching for what works for you. 

sweetplt

@JuJuCFruit usually sleep returns as your body adjusts to the “no nicotine”...however, you can google and read about insomnia and some methods to help.  I read mystery/suspense books in bed before going to sleep about 10 minutes into the book my eyes are bobbing asleep.  Another thing I drink a herbal tea every evening with chamomile in it...lastly, exercise through out your day helps with sleep.  There are many things to try.  Do not let smoking call you back to his lies...if worse comes to worse, see your medical Doctor and ask him/her for suggestions and/or help with insomnia...Hang in there....Colleen 870 DOF 

YoungAtHeart

Be sure your bedroom is cool and dark.

Turn off all electronics at least two hours before planned bedtime.

Eliminate caffeine (including chocolate!) after 3 PM.  it has a greater effect when you quit smoking.

Exercise during the day as much as you can so you are physically tired and to reduce your level of stress.

If you awaken, don't lie in bed longer than 30 minutes.  Read, do a crossword, count backwards from 1,000 - or think of names of cities,states for each letter of the alphabet.

Take a nap if you can.

This WILL pass!  Your body is doing a lot of adjusting to life without nicotine.

JuJuCFruit

Thank y'all for all of the advice and tips. 

The support her is so helpful and I am so glad that I found this site! 

Didn't take a nap today so I am sure that I will sleep well tonight.  Best of all I made it through another day smoke free! 

MarilynH

YAY for another Day WON sleep well tonight and get lots of Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's @JuJuCFruit 

Sootie

I am blessed that I never have trouble sleeping.....my husband jokes that I could probably fall asleep walking down the street!

But my husband did have some problems with insomnia and he tried those melatonin gummies? He felt they really helped.....that might work for you. If not, as everyone has said, it usually evens out after a few weeks anyway. Stay Strong.

JuJuCFruit

I do take Melatonin 3 mg every night.  I too am blessed not to have insomnia very often at all. 

My whole body has gone haywire but that, at as you say,  it will level off in the next couple of weeks. 
Smoking is NOT an option!! 

About the Author
Smoked for FIFTY years most recently about 1 1/2 packs a day. Cigarettes controlled every aspect of The Who, what, when, where, how, why and if of my life literally. Have made several serious attempts to quit but none lasted at the most more than a few months. This time will be different so help me God... please!