cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Day 4

856beverly
0 12 138

Wow.  What a couple of days it has been.  I am learning so much.  My resolve is strong to remain quit.  The comments and messages I've received from other supportive members is really helpful.  What has been especially useful to me is Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" and the medical information regarding nicotine addiction.  I have also made a gratitude list of things that keep me going -- complete with pictures of my family and beautiful reminders of all the good things in my life. 

I am determined to get through the annoying but pretty minor physical symptoms of nicotine withdraw.  Yesterday I was restless and irritable, but I was able to distract myself with deep breathing exercises, "riding the wave" of a particularly strong craving, and a brisk walk with my children.  Last night and today I have a mild headache.  I took two advil and am drinking lots of water.  I'm trying to be kind to myself during this withdraw phase.  I was using nicotine replacement therapy (gum, 2mg) for the first three days.  After reading some literature and other helpful posts on this site (and others), I feel the gum won't serve me well and I am giving that up. 

Knowing what to expect in terms of physical withdraw has helped me anticipate what I will be feeling.  As I said my resolve is strong.  There is nothing that a cigarette ever gave me that I want back.  Today is Day 4... bring it on! 

12 Comments
andreakay

AMAZING!!! I am soooo PROUD of you!! THank you for letting me read what lies ahead in my quest to be a quitter!!!

Keep up the AMAZING work!!

JonesCarpeDiem

Very Good

The symptoms last for 2-3 weeks for most.

I like to say the misery level is no worse than a bad head cold (not including the nagging feeling that something is missing)

Onward

cookie804

awesome, so proud of you.

Ms.J_11-10-2013

Day 4 is great, nicotine is out of your system in 3 days (72) hours.  Keep doing what you are doing and the wave will pass. Before you know it it will be a week, then a month and so on.  Stay close to this site and educate yourself about what you are up against!

Good Job!

Jackie

LouiseR

You are doing great.  I babied myself the first 2 to 3 weeks and kept drinking lots of water, did slow deep breathing, went for walks, did puzzles even stuck my head in the freezer a few times! Keep coming here and reading and blogging.  We are all here to help.

Thomas3.20.2010

Great Job! Knowing how to handle the challenges makes us stronger for what lies ahead! 

YoungAtHeart

You quititude is showing and deserves a big

Storm.3.1.14

I really like that you actually created a gratitude list, complete with pictures. Wonderful! Many new quitters will say that they keep similar lists in mind, but they don't actually write out the list and have it on hand to see. You've done this, and it will serve you well, I think.

Good job on "riding the wave"! THAT is the BEST way to handle cravings. Acknowledge them as real, acknowledge them as temporary, and let them flow through you and away from you. That's how it's done.

CONGRATS ON DAY 4!!!!

freeneasy

Great job! ONE DAY AT A TIIME! The attitude of gratitude is an amazing asset.

joyeuxencore

You have the perfect 'mindset' for success...You are problem solving, reading, using all the tools. Bravo lady you are DOING this! xo

elvan

I do believe you have GOT this...day four and you are already SHINING with positive ideas and ways to deal with issues.  I could not be happier for you.

Ellen

Brenda_M

You're doing great!!! Keep it up!!!