cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Day 302

insurance-guy
0 16 226

Would have never thought I could quit smoking, and everyone in my life says the same thing (chain smoker); I loved loved loved smoking, so I thought.  I actually thought smoking calmed my nerves, and made me feel better in stressful situation. In fact it was the opposite! Before I started smoking I never was depressed, had anxiety problems, etc.... When I smoked I was taking medication for both.  Now I have quite I no longer have those problems anymore. Until I quit I never realized the effect cigarettes had on my brain. 

What made me quit

I remember almost a year ago I was driving up to the hospital, because I was convinced I was about the have a heart attack.  Having high blood pressure and a few other smoking related issues I was scared.  As I sat in the emergency room parking lot I remember thinking.  Brandon what are you doing? You have a beautiful wife, 2 children under the age of 4, and 2 master’s degree’s.  Why are you trying to destroy yourself, what kind of insanity is this?  I begin to wonder what happened, how I went from a college athlete to an overweight smoker that boozed way too much in such a short period of time.  I remember throwing the remain pack of cigarettes out saying F*** this I am quitting all this s***. 

Now

It has been 302 days since I had a cigarette, about the same since I have had any kind of alcohol, and I feel great.  I lost 40 pounds and broght my sexy back (Yes i said that). I am a better father and husband, and I just feel better about myself as a person.  I feel normal and not so edgy all of the time.  I just have to thank the Lord I was able to give up smoking.   

16 Comments
LouiseR

Love Love Love this blog!! Congrats on 302 days smoke free!!!

Breakinchains

When we are smoking we don't believe what people say. We don't believe that quitting will improve our health. We think quitting will only make us feel worse. Not until we have been quit for some time do we realize the full effect of smoking.

"I feel normal and not so edgy all the time," describes it perfectly!

We don't realize it at first but smoking makes the stress worse. Only now, after you have been quit for a while, can you see it, and feel it. Congrats on 302 days. Don't look now but you are creeping up on a year! I am sure your wife and children are happy that you quit too!

Mike.n.Atlanta

Great news. Huge congrats on your quit & pray you continue to be successful.

Keep on keepin on,

M n @

cspelliott

Congrats on 302 days.. Keep on Keepin on man!

Kathy187

Wonderful post, and I needed this!

cheyenne7

You sir, are awesome!!!  Thanks for posting!!!

YoungAtHeart

It was great of you to stop by and share your inspiring story!  I know it will help a lot of folks in their journies to be FREE!

Thank you!

Nancy

Mrs.Rum

Yay for 302!  I'm at 301 today!  🙂

insurance-guy

Thanks everyone, congrats to all of you ex smokers.  Special congrats to you MrsRum for your 301 out of hell

msgardengirl320

Hey Insurance Guy, you need to come on here more often & give us stories like that about how you felt, how you dealt with the "not smoking" after you relied on it, reinforce all the bad stuff to us. It really helps us realize we are doing the right thing, especially when it still is appealing to us to remember how we "enjoyed" smoking. It gives us hope & encouragement that we will feel much better as time goes on. Could you do that for us?? Thanks

Strudel

Insurance Guy - Wow! Congrats on your quit, your weight loss, and on not drinking! Amazing! Stick around if you can and continue to encourage new people - great blog! 

moody_9-18-13

Whoo Hoo, Brandon! What an inspiration! Congratulations on your NEW LIFE of FREEDOM!

JonesCarpeDiem

very very happy for you and your freedom!

congratulations!

freeneasy

Thanks for sharing your story and congratulations on your EXcellent quit!

klv

Excellent story Bardon,  oh I mean insurance guy, no I mean new and improved slim, trim sexy stud .lol 🙂

Great Job and God Bless. I am more inspired today than I was yesteday. Thanks for sharing. Life is good!

Kevin d115

insurance-guy

I will come on more often and share.  I do not post often, but I always logged on and watched other peoples post(s).  This has been a good tool for me. When I go about 90 days into this, I begin to forget that I ever smoked. I think the biggest advice I can give anyone is to not feel ashamed for being sad about quitting.  What I mean by that is cigarettes were a part of our lives for a long time, like giving up anything that you have shared intimate movements good or bad, you will be sad when it is gone.  Be sad it’s ok, but remember the personal relation between you and cigarettes, it is a one sided abusive relationship and you have to get out.