cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Day 28: Hooray for Houseplants!

AlexColvin
3 14 157

It's been a very productive day. Up by 7:00 A.M.,  (with a little help from Chester,) and after breakfast,  started the monthly outdoor plant feeding, now that it's warming up again. Did one small load of laundry, and then early afternoon it was off to JC Penny's to pick up my online order.

Nancy wanted to go houseplant shopping after 5:30, but that seemed like a terrible time to get out and shop on such a pretty day. So she said she'd stop by later with some more parts she found for the wet vac. 

At the mall, I stopped by Target and discovered they do not have a plant section, and so, took my loot from J C Penny's and was homeward bound. 

Once home again, I started making hamburger and hot dog buns from scratch. Because any excuse to fill the house with the aroma of fresh-baked bread is a good one.   And with my sense of smell improving almost daily, that's a double-treat!  These breads require the same process as making a loaf  except, after punching down the first rise, one tears off hunks of the dough and creates disks and logs which will need to rise again on a parchment-paper-lined cookie sheet for  ~ 45 minutes. 1st image is pre-leavened dough. 2nd Image is after 45 minutes in the rising room.

No wheat  berries were injured during the creation of this dough.   Click image to read annotation.

hamburger hotdog dough 2nd rise.jpg

hamburger hotdog dough 2nd rise 02.jpg

As I was making the dough, my next door neighbor, Sidney,  stopped by with some oatmeal cookies, (we exchange goodies, and she is my proud lab rat,) and told her I quit smoking last month,  (she's a quitter herself, you see.) And her eyes lit up and then, as if she caught herself said, "Are you okay?" 

I explained about my Dr. visit, and the meds and she explained how she smoked for twenty-five years. So we agreed, I beat her rate by 2X as many years, which is one statistic one should be careful not to brag about in mixed company. 

Nancy stopped by at the same time, to return to me my phone which I left in her car after work,  (the fog...blame it on the Fog.) and so we chatted while I kneaded and she thought Sid's oatmeal cookies were divine. Yes, they are. 

It was during our chat we decided we'd hit the plant store on Sunday because I had this list, you see, of the plants that will grow in low light ( my living spaces are not particularly brightly lit and I like it that way, thank-you,) and with which I plan to begin populating my home due to their oxygen-giving nature. I'm very interested in starting with a few Maidenhair ferns because I have some other ferns in my front bed,  (Bostons and Wood ferns,) but MH ferns does not do well in bright light. And there's one particular nursery here, Cornelius, which has not just a nice inventory of plants but a particularly nice stock of several fern varieties, including MH.

As for those hamburger / hot dog buns, woud you eat a sirloin burger with all the trimmings on one of these beauties?

hamburger hotdog rolls finished.jpg

Recipe available at acolvin.geo@gmail.com

Peace and gratitude,

AC 

Tags (1)
14 Comments
About the Author
"Non-traditional" History senior, University of Houston. Will be graduating Spring, 2022. Retired. My academic work has been published. I have an eight-year-old Orange Tabby named Chester who's a big love bug, but very people-shy. I am extremely blessed in that, after 50 years of smoking, I have manageable health issues. I am extremely grateful for this site.