cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Day 258 - Almost there!

craftylady
0 8 12

OK in life with addiction you are never really there!  Must always be diligent (have already back slid once in my life.  This is my second quit.).  Once or just one can never happen again because for me 'just one' really means just having to start over again!!

On the CUSP of my one year smoke free do I have any advice for those who are just starting:

1.  Be paitent but firm with yourself.

2.  Know your shortcomings without being critical of yourself.  Hardest thing for me to do.  But if I can't be kind to myself who will be.  Kindest thing I ever did for myself was QUIT!!

3.  Ask for help.  Ask here, at work, with friends, family.....  You will be surprised, I know I was, at the people who will be there for you.  Even former smokes you had no idea were formers!  Had a friend I have known for 15+ years and didn't know she used to smoke!

4.  Be paitent with each other too!  What works for one person doesn't always work for everyone.  Some rules are pretty universal but each person must find their path.  Mine was the same as some and different from others.  I tapered off - some people agreed and some said I was stupid for doing it that way.  But it has WORKED for me - KNOW YOURSELF and you can find your path.  There is no harm in trying someone elses way BUT in the end it has to work for YOU or it isn't YOUR way.

That is it.  You would think through this process I would have more to offer but I'm a pretty simple person, so HAVE A GREAT SMOKE FREE DAY!!

8 Comments