cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Day 2 - The Blues

pero-the-vuk
0 7 2

Winston Churchill once said - "If you're going through hell... Keep going"..

Last evening was tough. I found myself in the spare room after having dramatically flung myself out of the living room in a total diva style, I wasn't aware that smoking could give me this much Joan Collins 'chic'... Utterly absurd behaviour. So there I was.

Me.

vs

The demon.

The bugger is right between your eyes, your furrowed brow, your raised heart rate, your inexplicable rage, your inevitable confusion. You know this isn't you, when you're going quits for the 6th time, it's El Diablo there, live from the pit of your stomach, the boy is very angry, he, like any hopeless hungry baby - wants his feed. If you don't give it, there's going to be a showdown...

If you've never been an addict to anything, first off - take a bow and secondly - well done to you - as when you're amidst this illusion you get to see how strange it is, a physical fight, without punches (wow, there's a paradox). Your evil twin is intangible, you cannot physically touch this thing, but it is somehow right on you. It can feel closer than a red faced angry teacher who decides to tear a strip off you in front of class, yet out of reach.

It makes a damned monkey out of you...

For about 17 of my 24 hours yesterday, I was thousand yard staring at nothingness. It makes it seem like your entire existence is akin to some massive other wordly thing ripping you into a thousand tiny pieces and throwing you into the air, baby, you're a firework... Indeed.

I said these actual words to my girlfriend last night:

"I'm a recovering drug addict, aren't I?".

It sounded sad coming from my mouth, more a question, than a statement. Like I've realised what I've become... And then the stranger things happen, I start to get the slightest glimpses of utter joy, highs I've never felt, they are almost teary at this point, but elated teary, for the briefest nano second I experience  freefall. Like I can't believe I'm doing this... It's a beautiful whoosh feeling that goes right through me, the tiniest electrical storm. It might be blood?

I'm doing it.

Finishing it.

If I ever needed more incentive, then even after 2 days, my palette has improved to the extent that a £5.99 bottle of Argentinian Merlot tastes like a £5,000 vintage. Tasted amazing, actually. Also, I am experiencing little sensations in my nostrils, getting the tiniest bit more airflow through them, like little pockets opening up, this is very welcome... I had recently taken to an awful nose picking habit in an attempt to get more air into the nostrils, some days leaving scabs around the entrance to the nose.

Oh the glamour...

Sooo sexy isn't it? This smoking lark...

For now,

Pero the Vuk

ps: LOVE this forum, love the idea that genuine addicts have somewhere to spill... Most people don't really get it, so those support messages already are a real thing of beauty. Thanks everyone!

7 Comments
ShawnP

We learn from mistakes and move on. Life does get better. Enjoy every minute of being smoke-free. Have a great day! 

scubavernie

Love your Blog! It really is like a red mist isn't it. Just keep chipping away at it, an hour at a time and things will get  easier. A few times I've enjoyed riding the adrenaline train of a craving!

Writing and sharing your thoughts helps pass any cravings. I have also been reading articles on Whyquit.com, which has hours and hours of informative reading to do instead of falling back into the trap.

Go Diva!

YoungAtHeart

Don't let those cravings take hold of your mind!  Find something ELSE to do until they pass.  Take a brisk walk, do a few jumping jacks, play a computer game, read and respond to blogs here, do a crossword puzzle.  The argument in your brain CANNOT be:  "I want a cigarette.  No!  But - I WANT a cigarette.  NO!"  Instead it needs to be, "I want a cigarette!  Well, since I have decided not to DO that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave should last?"  And then DO it!  If you need some more ideas, check out the blogs on my page with lists of 114 things to do instead of smoke.

Each day is one more step on your journey to freedom.  Keep your eye on the prize!

Nancy

Quit 7/4/12

michelle198

Remember.  You're a superhero and you can do this.  You ARE doing this.

Nyima_1.6.13

I got to a point where I could actually smille whenever I got an urge or a craving! Certainly not because they made me happy but because I realized that I was smarter than the addiction! No matter what it brings, I can bannish it! Congrats and keep working that quit!

joyeuxencore

What a fantastic blog!!! Keep typing when you get a craving and you will get through them every time...Ah yes...emotions...I found this from an online quit coach:

"When you’re stressed out now, what did you do? You smoked. What can you think of that could act as a substitute to cigarettes when you are stressed? Perhaps your support system might come in handy here, and some of your more fearless friends would be willing for you to call them when you’re feeling particularly emotional. What else? Perhaps a mantra you can say that will help you calm down and defuse the situation. A warm bath. A walk around the block. A run around the block. Dancing to the loudest music you can stand.

The point about all this is that it’s okay to feel emotions. Emotions are a natural part of living. They inform us about how we feel about all kinds of situations. If you feel fear, then you know that you may be in danger. If you feel joy, then you can open up and be expansive, you can share the best parts of yourself. Sadness, jealousy, anger, resentment, all these emotions are normal behaviors. They inform us of a range of experiences we are having. If we feel jealous, what does that mean? It may mean that we really love the person we’re jealous about, and so we learn how strongly we feel about them. If we feel resentment it may mean that we need to stand up for ourselves even if we’re afraid, because we don’t feel good in all this resentment. When you smoked, you basically blocked yourself from having a natural, normal experience of living. If you’ve been smoking for a long time, you may have to relearn how to live with your emotions, and that may take time.

I guess I’d better tell you the Big Secret now, huh? Quitting Smoking is about more than just cigarettes. It’s about reclaiming your life. It’s about becoming a fully functioning human being again. And having your emotions—the whole range of them—is part of being human.

Hey you wonderful human, you can do this.

mary242

hang in there and be strong!! It is possible to quit forever. Listen to Nancy...shes a big reason I did it am at 117 days! Dont forget to yell for help BEFORE you light up like Tommy (Boss) says. Good luck!!   Mary