cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Day 2 - My Plan Saved Me

Mamagrillz13
8 10 110

If you've committed to quit but haven't reached that date yet or you've recently quit and are struggling, let me tell you my Day 2 story. But, let back up to Day 1 late in the evening. 

My first day went great! I really didn't struggle. Not smoking Day 1 wasn't as tough as I expected. But, after I'd completed my day and was relaxing on the sofa like I do every night, I wasn't focused on the quit or the support or the plan. And, all of a sudden just as natural as breathing in and out, I could almost feel myself walk outside to light up. Immediately, I recognized that trigger, popped a lozenge and started my pre-bed routine. 

Day 2....I woke up about 30 minutes early, fixed a cup of coffee, took the dog out, and sat down at the computer. No issue! The same feeling hit me as the night before. It was just that natural urge to go do what I've been doing for 41 years. 

This is how my plan saved me from these urges. I spent two weeks planning my quit day. I got the prescription, had the NRT, and knew how I would handle my last day smoking. THIS is what helped me most....how I would handle my last day smoking. Tuesday evening, after dinner, I took out exactly how many cigarettes I knew I'd smoke before bed. I took what was left in that pack, all of my lighters, and the two unopened packs I had and put them in my husband's car. I told him to take them to work and give them to somebody that smoked. I threw away the two ashtrays I had and filled a water bottle to dispose of the cigarettes I would smoke on my last night. This was correcting my past failed attempts to quit! If that partial pack or half a smoked cigarette had been laying around, I would have slipped. Just that quick. I would have told myself it was just one puff.

It's SO important to make a plan IN ADVANCE. My plan may not work for anybody else but, please try to think in advance. Cut off your triggers before they happen. I have tried so many times to quit smoking and this is the first and only time I truly believe I will be successful.

If you read the whole post, thank you for committing a little time to see it through to the end. 

Lisa

10 Comments
About the Author
I'm a mom of 3 adult children, LaLa to one amazing grandson, wife of a fisherman, with two kitties, and one dog. I started smoking at 15 to impress a boy. Now, I'm married to that boy and he stopped smoking 14 years ago. I haven't been so lucky and am ready to make this adventure stick!