cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Day 15

marlee2
0 7 20

I quit smoking on June 15, 2010.  I do not use any medications or tobacco-replacement type stuff.  Just me, quitting.  Today is day 15.  I am so embarrassed to admit it, but I had one today.  I bought a 10 pack, smoked 1 and placed the rest outside next to the ashtray at a pub across the street.  Other than the complete waste of cash, it was like magic.  Like forbidden love.  Like Catholic sin.  

What I assume was the worst of the physical withdrawals is over.  I happen to be very lucky.  I live in Louisiana, but right now I'm spending a good portion of the summer in England with my best friend, her husband, and their new baby, so I have had a chance to relax in a way I couldn't have at home.  Also, since neither of them smokes cigarettes, I've had a rare opportunity to quit without having to be around smokers.  Another plus is that since I don't drive here in the U.K., my favorite smoking trigger has been off limits to me.  I don't know how I will handle going home and getting behind the wheel again, nor do I know how I shall deal with the fact that practically everyone I'm close to back home smokes like a freight train.  

Aside from finding things to type or gaming I don't know what to do with my hands most of the time, especially in public when PC's and consoles aren't an option.  My best friend suggests cross-stitching.  She's good at all that crafty stuff, and I can be, but it isn't really my thing.  The idea of cross-stitching didn't appeal to me at all until she pointed out that once I got good enough I could make my own designs.  Cross-stitching doesn't seem that odd a thing to sitting under a tree in the park or even in a pub, but I can't help worrying it might prove an awkward replacement for the post-coital cigarette as I wouldn't want to remind my lover of his grandmother.  I always thought those people who only smoked cigarettes after sex were so sexy.  I doubt I have the self-control, though, to be such a person.   

Still, it hasn't been quite as awful as I expected before quitting.  I am not here to be judged or to try and push my lifestyle on anyone, but in good conscience I feel I have to share this: pot helps.  Since I quit I've been doing 20-50 of those fat-people-push-ups (where you stand up and place your hands flat on the counter) every day, and I have to say the exercise and the newly heightened O2 levels have given me a fantastic energy increase.  I want to start taking walks, but I'm a little scared that I will see half a million people making cigarettes look delicious in the process that I'll end up stopping off at a store.  Gum has proven a powerful ally, as well, but I've never been a huge fan of the stuff, so I don't use it as religiously as some. I I try to drink a ton of water, and it's great but it doesn't seem to help me not want a cigarette.

I don't think my little misadventure earlier cost me the whole deal... I didn't even keep the pack.  

It's going to be fine, and soon I won't think about cigarettes 80% of the day...

Right? 

7 Comments
mare5

Please don't get cocky about your quit & think you can smoke one here & there. Before you know it, you'll be back to smoking as you've known in the past. I suggest you focus on the mental traps of smoking cuz it's more than psysical addiction. Since smoking after sex seems glamorous to you, you really need to view that differently. It may seem glamorous in old movies but in newer, edgier movies is not appealing. Smoking is no longer sexy. Replace the image. No, you didn't blow it, but be on guard!

Bonnie11.3.2009

"pot helps"???? Are you smoking pot?  Marlee, inhaling smoke is smoking, you're either smoking or you're not smoking, just how it is. You seem to still be romanticizing smoking and as long as you do, you will struggle.  Give yourself a real chance, go to whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com and get educated about the addiction and how to quit. 

marlee2

Bonnie, there is an ocean of difference between weed an tobacco, and THAT is just how it is.  Do some research of your own.  I am not lighting up a joint every time I feel a nic fit coming on, nor do I smoke pot just for the sensation of inhaling smoke.  If I smoked pot every day I probably wouldn't need any other form of help quitting.  I will reiterate that I didn't bring that up to be judged.  If you don't like weed, don't smoke it.  

Bonnie11.3.2009

Marlee, this isn't about judging you, its about helping you to be an ex-smoker.  If you're smoking cigarettes, weed, cigars, etc. etc., you're not quit, you're not an ex-smoker.  And being an Ex  is what you are here for, what this site and support group is all about.  

Sootie

Marlee--We don't judge...you wrote, we answer---just the same as you will (hopefully) when someone else writes. BUT---what Bonnie is saying is--smoking is smoking---you are drawing smoke into your lungs. Yes, we could do research on the differences between pot and cigarettes BUT---why? This is a quit smoking site. What you will get here is encouragement (not judgement) to stop smoking. WELCOME!!! I hope you stay and talk to us. We are all here for each other.

keeptrying2

Marlee just keep your resolution and focus on what you need to do.  You have a great opportunity and should take it full on as a chance to quit smoking.  When you get back here, if you are far enough removed, I don't think you will have any serious problems.  Stay strong.

kevin61

Marlee,

First congrads on going 15 days - that's great!   But ... your slip worries me.  Not because you slipped - we see that on here all the time - but because you so thoroughly enjoyed it.  Maybe do some research on how the nicoteen from just one puff reacts with your brain.   Having that one cigarette re-invigorated your nicoteen receptors and will make it much harder to get to the "not thinking about it" stage you want to reach.

As far as the pot I can't say I agree with most the comments.  I don't think it has any / much nicoteen in it.  And since you said you're not trying to use it as a replacement I think it's fine.    But - I am only a month into this and no expert.  But my advice is take one thing at a time.  You've got a good start on the cigs - but your really need to refocus on the positives of being a non-smoker.  'til later.............Kevin