Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Day 14 v.2014 - Propagate to accumulate

pero-the-vuk
0 8 109

Morning,

We all know one don't we? Actually, I know a few. I'm talking about those people that smoke with their drinks, they'll have a few outside the pub, with the hardened smokers, then... from nowhere, or whilst you're talking addictions, the line inevitably pops out:

"Me? Oh... No, not really, I can take it or leave it, honestly... When I get home for the weekend I don't even think about smoking... "

My own Mother, on paper, shouldn't be alive, being quite the larger lady, a lifelong smoker, drinker, terrible diet, but she has a great disposition that I was always more fond of than say, my Brothers, or Sister. She's very much of the 'if you can't laugh, then you'll only cry' kind of school. 

Still smoking.

"So... Mum, you go 3 days without a cigarette?"

"Yep".

"And then... "

"Well... I'll have one if I fancy one."

"Really? Mother... How do you do that?"

"I dunno... Easy, really, just don't have one".

Which will always - and rightly so - have the so - called 'addict' in a state of "Uh?" - ness. Being that these are truly hard a** smokers, both examples I've given here.

Then I think about the Allen Carr line, the one that says the human body, even one that mullers 60 cigarettes a day can sleep for a good 8 hours without waking in a panic, having to have a cigarette. And I think about yesterday, about the fact that after only one day, minus any patch at all, and I'm in control of it.

But - what. is. it?

And how powerful really is this thing? I've heard of smack addicts stealing money for their addicition, I've never heard one isolated incident involving a rabid chain smoking pitbull ripping something's face off for a cigarette.

I mean...

When it really, really, comes down to it.

Life or death.

Are we informed so much from a young age of the addictive property of nicotine that it becomes more addictive in our minds? More scary? More looming? More intimidating? Than it actually is?

Again, yesterday... I felt a twinge every couple of hours or so, but not like picking up the tobacco every half hour twingeing. Just... almost like a reflex, not much though, and absolutely nothing I couldn't handle. I'm not out on the street hanging on to someone's trouser leg threatening to kill him for his smoke.

So I put it out there, that maybe, just maybe, the addiction side is propagated to make the smoker panic more, buy more, get ill more and all because he/she believes this is what should be happening?

There are trace elements of nicotine in tomatoes, in potatoes, but I've never seen anyone asking for a pack of tobacco and "Oh... GImme 2,159 tomatoes, please, Jack... " (Okay, that verges ridicule, but you get my point).

I mean...

We've gone to wars for less, propaganda wise. I wouldn't put it past any Western government. Let's face it, chemo is huge industry... as is the arms race, as is the nicotine industry, the nicotine replacement industry must be H-U-G-E at present, most of all - the industry of fear. Biggest of them all.

Today I feel great. Hardly anything at all.

I'll finish on another, slightly different note. On perception, of yourself as a smoker, by yourself, or by others who do not know you. Here's a guy - this morning, out on my walk, he's stood next to me as I'm telling him I think the dog we're looking at has hair like mid 80's Michael Bolton. He's never met me. Does not know the mini battle playing out in my head regarding nicotine addiction. I tell him nothing.

Obviously he doesn't think I'm a smoker. Stood there, like he is, openly smoking a roll up, wafting it all about me. I choose to keep quiet. (I've happily never coughed openly at any smoker, I think it's a bit rude, unless you're going to stop every car driving down the road as well, it's all chemicals, smoke and tar to me) Thinking, that for 32 years I've been slightly obsessed with being perceived as a 'smoker', like you've earned your stripes, your position in the heirarchy, the archbishop of bulls**t, only for a complete stranger to not even notice.

To see you as an outright non smoker.

It's that easy.

Crazy life, man.

Good day, all!

P

8 Comments
stonecipher

I have thought much the same for some time.  Even as a smoker, I wondered about it.  One thing that helped me was reading about heroin users who came home (to the US) from Vietnam, never to pick it up again.  Never even to have to bother with treatment facilities, terrible withdrawal, etc.  Part of it I suppose was the grade of heroin, but the research suggests that availability and acceptability of heroin and heroin use, played the bigger part.

Those users who came back came back to a different society and set of circumstances.  And they didn't "drive into the city" to get a fix simply because they had become addicted.

They stopped using it.  And that became the norm.  And not much fanfare about it.

Yes.  

Thanks for the blog.  Mirrors my thoughts, but with a British accent (which makes all things better, I think)

pero-the-vuk

Do people read my blog in an English accent?! (That's funny)

(You say to-may-toes

I say to-mah-toes!)

😉

cory-3-10-13

What a thought provoking blog. There is so much to this smoking addiction that I still don't fully understand, but I'm trying to, its just that the further I get from actually smoking it gets harder to remember what I thought was so necessary about it...or how it defined me as a person. I feel like I've evolved, in a way, which is good, but I don't want to be fearful of it...I don't want to live in fear of going back. Freedom is the goal for me, from addiction, from fear...I'm glad you are feeling great. Keep pushing forward Pero!♥

And just for the record I think it is hard to quit eating tomatoes and potatoes...my Dad tried to do it to help his rheumatoid arthritis and he could NOT quit them...related to nicotine addiction? Maybe...I think.

pero-the-vuk

Hey Cory,

They'll all be speaking 'Hicksian', 100 years from now. 

🙂

cory-3-10-13

We can only hope...Just plantin' seeds...♥

YoungAtHeart

Indeed, very thought provoking, and I will thinking about it today.  And, glad your first day was easy.  May all of them that follow be so, as well!

Thank you for sharing.

Nancy

pero-the-vuk

Hi Nancy,

I went to see the internationally reknowned Welsh 1970's drug smuggler Howard Marks a few years back. He stated that the Mayan civilisation smoked the tobacco plant in it's purest form - this beautiful purple coloured fresh vibrant looking thing resembling nothing next to the dried out, cured, dead looking, chemical laden "s**t" that we get given in the West. He said they used it to get a little high, for medicinal purposes and stated that some Mayans lived to reach 100 years old.

Maybe some bright spark somewhere thought about producing the West's own version, knowing the nicotine was a bit 'more-ish' but ladened it down with the cancer causing chemicals.

Could be the single biggest con-trick of all time?

Cancers have increased massively, since the production of cigarettes. But were advertised using doctors, film stars... Sports stars!!!

I think the newest killer is food though. Now the public has wisened up to the cigarette industry.  Based on a similar ideal? A cheaper alternative to sugar, corn syrups, etc... High percentage of diabetes, heart disease, obesity... I mean...

What would hospitals do all day, if people were fit and well?

Brenda_M

Hmm...Interesting, to be sure, and something I've thought of. Stone's comment about the heroin addicts is great, too. I have thought of that, but always in the context of a justification of relapsing. I would think, I'm stronger than this, mind over matter, it'll be better this time, I'll be better this time, and I always wound up fulltime smoking within a few months. I wonder how all of it ties together.