cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Day 130

Nyima_1.6.13
0 22 41

My next big milestone will be, five months and 5 days! On that day my final quit becomes my longest quit! Since the early eighties, I have stopped smoking thousands of times for a few days or a week! I only stopped for any extended period of time in 2007 when I quit for 5 months and some days! I’m not sure exactly how many days because I wasn’t counting! I know when I quit and I know the week that I was sitting at a beach bar on St. Kitts and everyone (literally), except my husband, was smoking! A friendly British gent offered and I obliged. I bummed a couple more from a variety of people and then bought a pack! My husband raised an eyebrow but didn’t say a word!

When I think about it now, the first 3 weeks of that quit probably shouldn’t even count since I was really, really sick! I mean practically in a coma! I had some kind of very scary and unidentifiable bronchial episode that put me on my back for over a month and my cough was so violent that I fractured four ribs. Plain and simple, I quit because I couldn’t smoke! No plan, no education just deathly ill! I was also quite terrified because I just don’t ever get sick!! I didn’t before that episode and I haven’t since. (I think that’s part of the reason all the quit symptoms made me so… grumpy during this quit!?!) The good news, bad news of the 2007 scenario was that chest x-rays showed nothing of consequence. Also had a DEXA scan because of the fractured ribs and no osteoporosis. Some might ask, “Why is that bad news?”. Well, because I got completely better and when I was sitting in that bar on St. Kitts, watching the sun go down, I wasn’t the least bit grateful for my good health! I didn’t think for one second about how sick I had been or what the future might bring if I started smoking again! Before we left the bar that night, I had smoked a pack and bought another for the stumble home! Of course you know, I was in Duty Free buying carton(s) for when I got home! I went from being five months plus smoke free back to over a pack a day in less than an hour! I never made another attempt to quit until I came here! I had done a lot of preparation before finding this site but you guys got me through the worst of it!!! So…

A most Gigantic Thank You to everyone here for the encouragement and support! Thank you for deep breathing reminders, stretches, quit kits and even lemons! Thank you for convincing me I was worthy of being here and saving me from my own self-doubt! Thank you for the 130 day challenge, it kept me quit long enough to gain the education about addiction that I so desperately needed! Thank you for all the wonderful graphics and PM’s that say “I care”. Thank you to the ‘newbies’ for reminding me how difficult those early days were! Thank you for introducing me to a world of smoke free friends who know what NOPE means! I am so glad you are all here!

22 Comments
Patty-cake

Nice job Nyima!

Like you, it took me a long time to start this quit of mine. A few serial quits behind me. The education and support found on this site has made all the difference.

great blog!

Michwoman

Woohoo! Good for you! Great blog! I'm really proud of you - I think I remember a few not-so-positive posts from you and feeling a little worried that you might cave in. I'm heading toward the exit of No Man's Land myself and will get there before the first day of summer.

Congratulations!

YoungAtHeart

Well - we only HELPED!  You did all the hard work and stayed strong and stayed committed and for that, YOU are to be congratulated!  

You DID it - great job!

Nancy

Quit 7/4/12

norasx2

Congratulations!!  You're an inspiration!!

mary242

Great Job!!!! Im coming right behind you ay 124 days today. NO PRESSURE  but you are my leader so keep up the good work please!! Always a friend!!   Mary

Yaya2.6.10

Hooray for the exit from nml.  As your past experience, shows that doesn't mean you are home free, but well on the way to your forever Quit.  

anniexhx

congrats on your big milestone huni xx

jojo_2-24-11

Congratulations on 130 days, Nyima! Nice job, keep up the quit, it only gets better.

imadeer

Woo Hoo! The only way out is through!

jim_ohio

YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH...NO MORE......NML...............BIG SMILE JIM...............NOW JUST ICING ON THE CAKE........JIM

luisdeleon619

Congratulations

MisFitz
Congrats on your awesome quit! You are showing people that it IS possible to get thru this.
erma2

hi nyima im so proud of you. congratulations on day 130.you are doing great. god bless you .   nope .nef.   erma

wishingstar

Grats  to you , how awesome is that. I can't wait to pass 31 days, that will be  passed  my longest quit, thats  just a  mile stone for me. I plan on staying that way for the rest of my life.  thanks for sharing your story.

Renee day 5 all most down

Strudel

This is your forever quit for sure!! Congrats to you!! (Love the VW pic - I drive a New Beetle! Love it!!) Take care! 

lisa-denise-ely

130 days!  Wow!  I remember the 130th day, and it was great!  You have way more days of freedom to come, so keep up the good work:)

froguelady

You sound like me, I was queen of failed quits(I failed to commit) till I came to EX site 792 days ago. It took me 7 years to commit to quit.  The "Elders"at EX site educated me on how to quit and stay quit. They know of what they speak.

Congrats on your Freedom, WTG with 130.

Brenda_M

Hooray!!!! Congrats on exiting NML!

cory-3-10-13

No, Nyima, THANK YOU for being here. You inspire and help so many of us, every single day. I always enjoy your blogs and comments.  

Isn't it amazing how quickly we forget our illnesses once we are better? I try to be thankful for my health every day, but I sometimes forget, until I get sick! Then all I care about is feeling better! 

I'm so glad you are here and in your forever quit, congratulations.

Giulia

Ah the lessons we need to learn over and over.  I think you've got this one down however.  And now you're passing it on with wonderful blogs like this.  Thank YOU for remaining true to yourself.  Your successful quit empowers the rest of us!  Onward!

Mike.n.Atlanta

Are you kidding me? It seems like only yesterday. 130 days is a great start to a smoke free life! Way to go!

KOKO,

M n @

mayagg

Great blog. Thanks for update. Keep up great work. hugs, M