Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Day 12 v.2014 - The 10 second breath trick

pero-the-vuk
0 8 118

Morning all,

Yesterday I thought I'd throw the dice on the old patches. I'm currently 3 or 4 days into my 15mg pack. I tried going without. Got to about 8pm and started to feel the bite. The emptiness. The thousand yard stare.

So I cut one in half - and have the other half on me today. Which means I'm doing a 7.5mg patch. I'll do these until they run out then get a pack of 10mgs, cut them in half and for the last part - cut into quarters:

25mg

15mg

7.5mg

5mg

2.5mg

I find it hard to believe that you could go to nothing from 10mg of nicotine. Wait a minute! It's almost designed for you to 'slip' (back into the tobacconists!) I mean... Call me a cynic...

Anyway...

So, I noticed again, the further I get from the act of smoking, the more I watch smokers.

Out this morning for my walk, the first 3 people I almost bump into are smoking freshly lit cigarettes. I wonder again if there is ever going to be a society where you're not sucking up nicotine, somehow. I have walked behind smokers for a good 5 minutes before and wondered:

"I must be getting something from this?"

It must be akin to getting off heroin, but every street corner you turn there are 4 people sat on a pavement tapping up an unused vein, belt between their remaining teeth... HEROIN GALORE!

I think I have turned my own corner this time though. I am absolutely thinking different. Saturday evening, about 6pm, I'm at a Sainsburys mini shop, there's a guy, kind of mid 20's? Perfectly healthy looking, he's having a night tonight, he's getting his baccy in:

"Uh Yah... LARGE pack of American spirit please... "

"Oh... and a pack of silver Rizla, please... "

Initially my every fibre bristles with an excitement, til my memory cells kick in and reminds me that it is just not for me, not anymore. Done my time in that rodeo. Rode that horse already.

Then I think about the guy... He's got time to burn. I don't. He's got a fresh complexion. I don't. He's probably got great teeth. I certainly do not(!) most importantly, it's the way he puts his order over - it's quite loud, it is verging on remonstrative, like he's saying:

"Look... How tough am I, everyone?"

And I think it reminds me of what I once did, when I could, when I had the health to burn, when I had the time, the youth, the attention.

The naivety.

I know. In time, and let's face it, life is short, oh so very short... that it will be him - watching a younger man loudly asking for his poison, while he watches, wanting a hit, knowing that he's a few smokes away from serious dental work, complications, shortness of breath, smelling of a toasted armpit, thinking:

Mug.

I understand this thing that is making me 'want'. That is how I have it beaten this time.

Oh... The 10 second breath trick?

When walking past smokers (who've been relegated to the doorway or curb) I find it advantageous to hold my breath, about 10 seconds should do it (I get a bit 'splurty' at about 8 seconds, but this will improve!) by then you've passed the main thick tobacco smoke and can then take a nice lungful of, I don't know, say, car exhaust fumes instead.

Now then... When are we banning cars? Monoxides, smoke, etc., etc.

No? Just me then...

😉

ps: The first day of glorious unfettered sunshine on Sunday, and the only mosquito in the U.K as yet manages to find my upper right butt cheek. Unless I get in a Michael Jackson style oxygen tank for 5 days this thing is going to itch me like a mofo. I'm always getting hit. Came back from a birthday outing to Bruges last year - in October - cold weather, mainland Europe... 14 bites. Temples, knuckles, stomach, maaaaan... I hate skeeters!

8 Comments
smorgy8513

I looked online under NicoDerm that makes the patches and it says:

Can I cut the NicoDerm CQ patch?

No, this is not recommended. If the rate controlling membrane that delivers nicotine is altered in any way, the nicotine delivery will be very unpredictable.

That would make sense.    Another spot said it could leak from the cut end so you might get much more on the first half but not enough on the 2nd half.

Do this 1) using support of NRT as needed, 2) Definitely using distraction from your list, motivation from your list and Read/Blog/Listen to the Elders and the Wise Ones here on the EX!

Congrats to you on 12 days!

Stay strong.

Sharon

luxie

Good Morning,

I used the patches as well and they worked great for me. Another option is to cut a small square from the foil and stick it in the center of the patch before putting it on your arm,and leaving the patch intact, its a lot  safer this way. Or just step down altogether

Marion

cheyenne7

Pero...you have this beat my friend...

It is interesting, all of the thoughts that go thru our minds, unbeknownst to the people around us...

This is all part of the Journey, the beautiful eye opening Journey, the awakening that leads to the smoke-free us...

You sound like a mosquito attractant...my youngest is also one...you guys are good to stand next too...it prevents the rest of us from being bitten...just kidding, forgive me--I couldn't resist...lol

As far as cutting the patches...I don't know anything about that...might want to investigate that, idk

You are doing great...Congratulations!!!

cory-3-10-13

Pero, I always enjoy reading your blogs. There is a huge difference between smelling a cigarette, getting a nostalgic feeling or actually smoking...you're allowed to smell all the cigarette smoke you want, but you won't smoke one because you don't do that anymore! You are free now and I am (as they say up in Maine) wicked proud of ya!

I still hold my breath around smokers but that's because for me they smell really awful most of the time now, but occasionally I get that nostalgic feeling and then I remind myself of the reality of this addiction, you can't have just that one good one...all those other ones in the pack must be smoked too and that just adds up to nothing good. Keep using those patches as long as you need to...do whatever it takes to make this successful for you. We all want you to succeed and you will!♥

cheryl_1-1-14

Great job getting through day 12!!  Loved your blog.  Certainly can relate.  My plan was to outsmart the patches too and get twice as much out of them by cutting them but then I figured I was still spending less money than I would have on cigarettes and I was investing in something positive so I used them as directed.  I did cut the 10 week program down to 8 weeks with no problem.

I see you listed stepping down to 5 and 2.5mg after 7.5.  My patches were 21mg, 14mg and 7mg so my last patch was 7mg and nothing after that.  I don't think you'll need the 5 and 2.5mg.  Just stop after 7.5.  I saved my last patch to carry in my wallet "Just in case".  Haven't needed it.  Wishing you continued success on your quit journey.

pero-the-vuk

Cheryl,

Okay, that's interested me, you think it's cool to go down from 7mg? Maybe then I'll try it... It's not necessarily a finance thing as much as just wanting to get shot of the drug, last time I went cold turkey - got an almost divine high from the blood in my legs, then totally bottomed out. (one of the days I actually walked, like, over 10 miles... ) I just want it 'smoother' this time, so the body doesn't actually 'notice' so much.

Cory,

I'm pretty sure, when I read Steinbeck's 'Travels with Charley' that he mentions the fact that a lot of southern English settled in Maine, a couple hundred years ago. Do you know many from my way originally? (I'm a born Devonian, living in London) - I only ask as I'm convinced that the Devon accent (a bit like Captain Jack Sparrow) with only the tiniest twang added, sounds very American...  (savvy?)

Cheyenne,

Yep, I'm a walking drink stop for those damned little females. In fact I am actually dying for someone, anyone... to ask me in the next 4-5 days:

"What's bitten your a**?"

They're really tricky on the butt, it's the first thing you do when waking, the finger round the bump scratch, thinking about it - the mosquito itch cannot be far removed from nicotine addiction, just in terms of - annoying! Y'know?

Thanks all, lovely support, as ever 🙂

cheryl_1-1-14

2 weeks on 7mg then nothing worked fine for me.  I never noticed any withdrawl at all and believe me, I was looking for it.  Let the patches take care of the physical discomfort while you work on the mental part.  I wanted to get off of them so I could be nicotine free faster but I don't regret taking my time and letting them help me by taking the edge off.

Barbara145

Pero you are hysterical.  I laughed alot reading your blog.  I have been cutting patches for years.  I use generic ones from Target.  They work perfectly.  I am on day 151.  I was not doing anywhere near as well as you on day 12.  Carry on.  Have a great day.