Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Day 1 of second try

Jeff121
1 13 34

Hello;

This is my second try, wish me luck. I  did learn alot from my first try,hopefully things will go better this time.I am sure it will.

13 Comments
CatsRsmart

Good Morning Jeff. I too have learned much from my previous quits. Now I'm only at 31 days,( no nicotine of any kind) certainly not an elder here.

I can share for me, this community has made all the difference. The wealth of information and support of others is vital. I smoked for more years than I want to admit (35?) I am 53 now. I have tried patches and gum in the past, only to pick up smoking again after 4 mths

I kept reading the nicotine is out of our systems in 72 hrs. The rest is in our habits and in our heads. Short version 1. Make the decision....N.O.P.E. (not one puff ever) 2. Do not doubt your decision. Own your quit and be willing to give yourself time to relearn life without cigarettes.  You can do this. You are in the right place.

Cats @ 31 DOF

ecobe

I hope I'll have the same will as CatsRsmart. Last time I managed to quit smoking only for 3 days. I do know I'm an addict but I do hope I can actually quit it. Probably it's a habit, well I do hope it's a habit because I change my habits but if I'm addicted than it's worse, isn't it?? A friend of mine is addicted to blogging. He writes about everything like about basics of writing thesis statement at proofreadandrewrite.journoportfolio.com. Many think it's normal but he spends too much time on it, he donesn't eat or sleep until the job is done. Nevertheless, I'll do my best so that this time is the last time I'm trying to quit smoking and I wish the same to you.

JonesCarpeDiem

Luck is for Vegas. No one who has ever quit successfully  gives luck the credit.

WILLINGNESS not Willpower.

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-...

HealthyOrange

Make this one stick; you are so worth it!  One day, and then another, and then another.  We are here for you if you need us.

Mike.n.Atlanta

Luck has nothing to do with it Jeff. Give up the "I can't smoke anymore" attitude & start anew with "I don't HAVE to smoke anymore". We all have the strength to do this you just have to get after it. Make your comittment & do whatever necessary to protect this quit. NO MATTER WHAT! If that means giving up friends, coffee, soda, alcohol or favorite places for a short time until you're comfortable in this quit do it. We'll be here to help every step you take. We've all been where you are right now. We know what to expect & what to do. Let us help.

Keep on keepin on,

Eric_L.

Yeah agree with the nothing to do with luck line.

It seems to be that I have to ask for help and then not pick it up.

When life and my thinking drive me crazy, I have to ask for help and then not pick it up.

If I start being afraid that my finances are a wreck or that I'll f something up in my life, I have to ask for help and then not pick it up.

Once I got through the withdrawals, I found it necessary to take a look at my thinking (not just my environment) to adjust what things set me up for triggers.  Then, I came back here for help and did not pick up.

This morning I'm trying to help others here and that helps prevent me from wanting to pick up.

You can do this.  Bookmark your days here!

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

I hate to be the bearer of bad tydings, but smoking IS both a physical and psycholigical addiction..  It's not easy to break free, but it IS doable.  It's totally up to you!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there.

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around your head alone.  Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Dotgirl_1-28-16
It's simple...just say no....make a commitment to yourself and stick with it...because you are worth it!!! You can do this!!! Congrats on day 1 of your quit!!!
TerrieQuit

Hello Jeff, Read the Carr book that Nancy gave you the link to above. It changed the way I thought and felt about smoking! You will need; Willingness, Commiment (the promise not to smoke, NO MATTER WHT HAPPENS!), Education about Nicotene addiction, The more you read the easier you quit will be. (I have 211 days and I still everyday!) and some determination and a sence of humor never hurt anyone either! These things are Key! We will be here to support and encourage you! I am glad you are here! You Can Do this!

I can't Quit on my Quit!

johio

Hang in there Jeff......It will get better and it will be worth the effort

Kimshine

No luck needed Jeff. Please do the reading that Nancy provided. It is so helpful to your quit. Many of us changed our minds about smoking after reading it.

Congratulations on your first day! It's not easy sometimes but it's worth it.

Tell yourself that you don't smoke anymore out loud. This is effective for me!

Hang in there, you can do it!

blaquequeen83

So glad you're back!! Stay strong and hang in there!

Mrs.Brock

Good health to you friend! Just like Dale said, "just be willing",that's the secret to success here. Not to mention people who really, really care about you! I wasn't sure what I was looking for here when I first signed up. Lols. I had no clue what to expect from this community of people. What I have found was: people who are flawed just like me, but not that these flaws hold them down. No these flaws are what make us all unique individuals whom have found a way to push through all the obstacles that life throws at us. I hope you to find comfort in knowing you are not alone. You can do this! Peace and Namaste-Mrs. Brock