cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

DAY SEVEN: Dreams and Some Laughter

michael105
0 4 59

Last night I had my first "smoking dream," but I didn't actually smoke in the dream. It was more of a temptation dream. I was given three packs of smokes to hide from somebody else (I think), and I remember wanting to sneak off and open one, but I did not. Also, it was an interesting detail that one of the packs was my first smoke (Benson Hedges Ultra Lights), another was a pack of white and red generics (when I was poor), and the third was a pack of menthols (which I bummed if there was nothing else). I just found it interesting that it was so detailed and clear in my mind.

Anyway, when I woke up I was so relieved that I hadn't even really even been tempted that I had to laugh. I was so relieved it was just a dream! Also, I realized that the insanity of smoking is only matched by the insanity of quitting, in the sense that the craziness we go through in withdrawl would be funny if it weren't so serious. Still, I can find some humour in it. I guess I have to.

I remember when I quit drinking. I've been sober and clean for almost twenty years now, but that first year was scary! I thought I just couldn't exist without booze, just like I think I just can't exist without smokes. But you do, and you're better off for it. Still, like booze, I've gotta take it one day at a time, because that's all we've really got. Take life in little bite-size pieces so it doesn't overwhelm you.

Everything I go through every day is just my brain telling me that I need nicotine, or the cigarette in my hand, or whatever. It's a total whitewash of course, but that's how addiction works. It lies, yes?

Onward! Keep the Quit!

~Michael

4 Comments
dennyo

Michael,

Nice story enjoyed it. why dont you help with our group other addictions. I am on day 5 of smoking and 11 months of sobriety (this time)  one day at a time, Denny

so_over_it

Hahaha! Good blog. I agree that having a sense of humor about it is absolutely the best way to get through it! It's so funny, I had some of those dreams, too. In one or two of the dreams, I relapsed and smoked. I remember feeling so bad about myself and so guilty and thinking that I was never going to beat this addiction...and then voila! I woke up and it was all just a dream. I was so happy and relieved that my quit was still in tact! lol! I tried to remember that feeling when the cravings hit. And Congratulations on 20 years sober and 7 days smober! Those are no small feats!!! You have made it through hell week!!! wooohooo!!! And since you've been beating one addiction for 20 years, you already know you have it within you to beat this one too!! We are rooting for you!

Sootie

Michael--Great story! My husband, who also quit, "smokes" in his dreams a lot! I get jealous sometimes because it certainly is a great way to have one without having one. GOOD LUCK. We can do this!!

msweldon

Just the other night, I dreamed that I had a pack of cigs. I don't remember if I actually lit one up, but I do remember that I hid them deep under the seat in my car.... lol