cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

DAY # 161 SMOKE-FREE AND THE NEW GAME OF TRIVIA IS POSTED

SuzyQ411
4 15 217

For those of you who want to play Trivia, you can directly access the newest game by clicking here: TRIVIA-GAME-FOR-02-15-2022 . I enjoy seeing "the regulars" playing week after week and am always happily surprised when new players stop by.

As for my quit update, I remain totally free of cigarettes and am now at 161 days clean. I have two more 7mg nicotine patches and will then be stopping the patches. I will keep nicotine gum on hand for the time being and will soon begin a systematic plan to gradually discontinue its use as well.

As I continue to support my friend as she plows through the unspeakable grief over the sudden and unexpected loss of her son,  I am frequently reminded of how very precious life really is. And I reflect on how I am consciously prolonging my time on earth by one simple adaptation: by not bringing a cigarette to my lips.

Yes, I still have emotional cravings -- and I may always have these-- but each day completed without drawing into my lungs the tar and toxins that piggyback on the harmful drug nicotine is one more day of life. That's one more day to enjoy my kids, my grandkids, my great-grandkids, my sisters, and my friends. Another 24 hours to breathe easier, to ward off my high risk of having a stroke or a heart attack. Another 1,440 minutes to enjoy fresh air, the sound of birds tweeting, and the comforting love from my cat Mr. Flurry. And the opportunity to live the life I was meant to live -- unshackled from addiction.

For those of you who are prayerful people, I ask that you consider adding my friend Connie and her family to your petitions for their relief from the anguish of their incessant questioning: what did they miss recognizing; what might they have done differently to prevent this unspeakably painful event; and how can they now create a meaningful life without his presence. 

For those of you who may not be prayer warriors, I ask that you keep them in your thoughts and wish them well as they navigate this unfamiliar and unwelcomed territory. Although I believe prayer can change things I  have also witnessed how the caring of others can have a profound effect on outcomes. They dearly need your support and compassion during this difficult time.

I hope that your quit journeys are going well and that should you relapse that you will forgive yourselves and get back on track. Together, all is possible.

15 Comments
About the Author
Prior to my first quitting on 8/25/2019, I was a heavy smoker for over 60 years. That time, I quit due to health concerns regarding clogged arteries to my brain. Tar deposits from cigarettes were making the situation worse. I had become a prime candidate for a stroke and required surgery to clean out my left carotid artery. I have relapsed 4X since that quit, the last one being on 05.15.2022. ( At one point in all of this madness, I had been quit for 1.5 years). Then on 9/7/2021 I began my recent eight month quit before my current relapse. I am in the process of planning a return to the non-smoking life. After more than 2 weeks of smoking, wheezing and coughing and being short of breath, I have set my new quit date of June 1, 2022 as the beginning of my forever quit. I am done with this madness!! God is good.