cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Cravings - duration and dealing

Amlatt
7 35 660

Cravings Duration it lasts and techniques to deal with it - my first blog - blushing....

I find the brain such a curious object in our bodies....such a strong will to overpower itself and sabotage itself, like wait who is in charge here? 

We have all made the commitment to quit (or at least get on this site to learn about quitting) and then we quit, like me, today I am 21 days of Freedom, BUT THE CRAVINGS!!!  Are we are such pathetic weak mammal species that we almost give up? No way, says my brain, we will fight for our right to party! Uh oh, just gave my age away.  We must fight for our right to survive through the craving - right!? The first few days were rough, I found myself unable to be productive at work, which has now put me in a tail spin, but I did it, and now I am playing catch up at work, just like I would if I had to take a vacation or something and it is doable. The first week sucked: I had dreams that I cheated and went to the store and just sucked away on my vape and loved it, but I woke up and I had not done that, so I went to do my daily pledge instead and then read about other people doing this on this site and just kind of survived in a fog through reading their stories. The first two weeks, I missed my friend, I called him Nicotine, and I was so sad.... so I had a little funeral for his passing, and it gave me the chance to say goodbye, you see my friend Nicotine was killed suddenly, ripped from my arms, and he is not coming back to be with me and I honestly really mourn his loss!  Seriously, it is as if a real person has suddenly departed from my life and I was really sad, I loved Nicotine.  Throughout the cravings, in the beginning, I would suck on hard candy one after the other in the midst of a craving (I did sugar free cough drops) in the car, at my desk, after coffee.....all the triggers for me.  At first, I was so nervous to go in the car, I rescheduled a business opportunity, but I told the client the truth and they were pretty cool, they rescheduled.  When I am in the car now, I turn up the radio a little louder and sing or call an old friend and it works!  I am learning that YOU are more powerful than your weak mammal brain craving and making it 5 minutes is something to be celebrated, so celebrate small victories, and give yourself a pat on the back for not smoking for 5 minutes. Making it through the FIRST CRAVING, lets call it 'the big one', the one that tells you to get in the car and drive and buy the vape pen and do it because you need it, making it through this is the greatest feeling of success!  I also find completely varying my routine during the craving really helps, like stand up and walk around and count the number of red things in the room or blue things or yellow things or silver things or brown things, or do leg lifts and say what you see around you, or try to identify the sounds in the room, like refrigerator, ice machine, electricity, someone talking, a drawer opening, ....anything - just do a simple brain exercise that uses another sense for 5 minutes, we have taste touch smell seeing hearing so I am trying to use another sense to break this bad vaping habit during a bad craving.  Most importantly, just try to take your mind away from the craving and remind yourself it will pass it will pass and that you will not give in to this craving. NOPE. I am a cold turkey heavy ex vape user for 5 years.  

Tags (1)
35 Comments
sweetplt

HI and Welcome to Ex’s Amlatt 

Congratulations on 21 days of Freedom...Ah you are finding this quit thing is so much more than just quitting, but learning about what do to in place of smoking/vaping.  Unfortunately, we all smoked through so much in our life.  The early days of our quit our bodies are healing so much from all the chemicals we have put there...Please read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX and read the blogs here especially go to the top of the page, click on the magnifier and type key words “vape” “quitting vape” etc., You can do this...it takes hard work and retraining the brain...Also, here is a great list to help when a crave arrives..../blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke?sr=search&searchId=e556... Make your Quit number one...You are worth it...Keep close to here for all help and to encourage others on this journey....Happy Tuesday ~ Colleen 295 DOF 

Barbscloud

Big congrats on your 21 days of freedom.   Very insightful description of your journey.  I'm sure there are many new vapers' here that will find your success inspiring.   Stay close and keep it going.

Barb

Mandolinrain

You did great for your first  blog! YAY YOU and YAY YOU for 21 days of freedom.!

Daniela2016

For being your first blog, this is a beautiful story.

Also, you are doing all the right things to move along.

Congratulations on 21 days, one more week and you will be hitting NML (No Man's Land); and if you have not read about it as of yet, here is a link to help you set expectations for this period in our quits: /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months 

You are in the right place for the right support one can get to quit smoking.  We all drink from this fountain of knowledge, and there are so many suggestions, ideas, examples, that some are meant to meet your individual needs.

Welcome and Congrats!

JonesCarpeDiem

You sound good. Positive self talk is your most powerful strategy.

Also, finding something to give you the dopamine nicotine was giving you.

Wishing you well!

YoungAtHeart

I see you have done some reading here, soaked in some tips and are successfully using them.  Good for you!  It has contributed greatly to your success, I am sure.

The one thing I don't see is that you read the book by Allen Carr, "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking."  While it isn't the best written, it is fast and entertaining, and contains a wealth of information on what nicotine does to your body and mind.  I highly recommend it! 

Congratulations on your 21 days!  Isn't it cool that you are DOING this thing?!!!

Nancy

gregp136

Excellent blog.  Thank you for sharing.

Amlatt

Hi Daniela such a great time to read that link NML is a place I have some trepidation about.....but here I come. your comment was so helpful and appreciated. NOPE and hope you are doing really well also. 

Amlatt

I need to get back to the gym and yoga and walking and hiking....there is the replacement right?

Amlatt

thanks for the suggestion....I have not read the book yet but will keep it in mind

Amlatt

I am staying close, but some times I am just barely hanging on in a delirious fog of craving the vape but hanging on strong so far. I do not suffer from depression or anxiety....I just loved to vape, I have always loved nicotine and when it became a secret thing I could do with no smell, I was over joyed, it was too good to be true, and honestly, I am so mad that I got played by big vape companies....I am in my 50s now and I should know better....I miss it terribly everyday and need to keep coming here and posting, my work load is seriously taking a hit, but I know this is important therapy for my journey, my quit journey and I appreciate you so much.

JonesCarpeDiem

That's right. Exercise is the best for you.

Music 

Chocolate

Movies

A hobby

Playing an instrument

Ann007

Congratulations! 21 days is awesome! I quit vaping 5 days ago and am just getting my sea legs. I totally understand the love affair with Nico! Like you, I just had to end it. Sad but happy you know? Thanks for sharing! It really helps newbies like me! You give me hope!!! Keep on it!

sweetplt

Takes time for that fog to lift...be sure to get lots of rest and drink plenty of fluids...

maryfreecig

It's hard to admit that it is an addiction, not love. I guess I felt the same way. That was in 2013 at about this time of the year. And it lasted for a while. I believed so much in my smoking life--my cravings were not really bad because I knew I'd made up my mind. But my longing for the life that was lingered a long time. I didn't arrive at Ex for quite some time.

But today, nearly six years later... No, I don't consider smoking, don't dream of cigarettes, don't care for one. My brain broke, I found my peace--a gift of time and not smoking. I have no reason whatsoever to consider smoking. AND that is because the addiction and dependency broke. So long as I never pick one up, I never again have to feel a longing for a cigarette, then dependency will remain safely and harmlessly dormant. It was all addiction.

Your smobriety brought you to Ex. Those 21 days must mean a lot to you. Keep working your quit one day at a time and congrats!!!

nnm

I just want to smoke. I am quitting everyday. But end of the day, I just go back. Frustrating.

Barbscloud

This isn't easy and I believe vaping is probably a worst addiction than smoking.  I know it feels like love because we like it, but it is an addiction.   There is a feeling of loss, but that also is part of the addiction.  Stay strong;  you've got this. You're the winner, not the vape companies   Continue to stay close and let us talk you through the rough times.  We've all been there

Barb.  

Cresten2005

Thank you so much for your post!  Today is my quit day, and your descriptions of your relationship with your vape and nicotine describe my feelings as well.  I loved my vape!!!  I quit smoking about 17 years ago and about 2 years ago I slowly found myself becoming a daily smoker again.  I was smoking in secret, and found myself pulling back from hugs with my kids so they wouldn’t smell the smoke on me.     Then I tried vaping, it was amazing!!  I no longer had to pull away from hugs, I could smoke in my car, in my office, in ‘secret’ in my house.  I have vaped for 2 years in “secret”.  Every once in a while, I would get the question, “what’s that smell?” Of which I would ignore, or change the subject.  I love my vape!  I decided to quit, because I’m tired of sneaking around, feeling like a slave to my habit!  Your description of your experience and the feeling of ‘a loss’ really connected with me and I couldn’t have described it any better.  Thank you for sharing, it was so helpful for me today.  I can’t wait till I’m on day 21.  Congratulations and thank you

Cresten2005

thank you for sharing, it is so helpful.  I loved vaping as well, and on day one, it has been all I think about today

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Although primarily a smoking cessation site, I have seen a huge increase in the number of people coming for help to break free from vaping. Research suggests nicotine may be as addictive as heroin and cocaine. Here is a great article with information about the products: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/vaping/vaping-101-what-know-about-e-cigs-addiction-illnesses-n1054981....

E-cigarette users can get more nicotine than they would from a tobacco product — extra-strength cartridges are available, or the e-cigarette’s voltage can be increased to get a greater hit of the substance. I understand some pods equal the nicotine in a pack of cigarettes. Because it is available to you most anywhere, anytime, I believe it might be more difficult from which to break free than tobacco products - but it CAN be done!

Nicotine addiction is nicotine addiction - no matter the delivery device - and how to beat any of them is about the same. Every time you read :"cigarette" in the information I will give you, just sub "Juul" or “vape,” or “device.”   The one thing different I would recommend is that you first start to reduce the nicotine content of the pods.  Start with a lesser amount in, like, one in every four, then three, etc. until you are only using the smallest amount, or reduce the amount of nicotine in the pods over time That way the physical withdrawal should be more manageable. You might find useful information, as well, here: https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/quitting-smoking-vaping/quitting-e-cigarettes.

I recommend that you educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind To that end, I suggest Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” . Vaping was not a concern when this was written, so you will need to sub “vape”as necessary. This is an easy and entertaining read which can be found online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

The idea is to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop. Take a quick walk at break time instead of vaping.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...
The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Sootie

Congratulations on 21 days!

I am so glad that you quit.......vaping seems to be the killer that cigarettes are only it APPEARS it may well be much quicker from what I have been reading.

You have a great attitude and I am sure it will serve you well. You have obviously been learning all there is to learn about this addiction and about quitting......good for you. Knowing the enemy is the first step to success.

Stay Strong.

Amlatt

Hi Cresten2005    You got this!!   If I can do this YOU can do this......go for it and be sad for the loss. and know that I am thinking about you and so grateful for your input - just say goodbye to your boyfriend Nic forever. He was fun for awhile but he has to go now. Or your girlfriend Nicole....whatever, I called him Nicotine, but he is dead now. Rest his soul. On to the next adventure....I am going to try to get in shape....that should be a new endorphin to try eh? 

Amlatt

Hi nnm ....Maybe you need an action plan.....my action plan was throw away all stuff watch garage truck drive away and then read everything I could in EX Community....I went cold turkey....maybe you need to search in EX Community for Smart Turkey - that sounds more your style - You sound like you may need a plan whereas I am more fly by the seat of my pants. Check it out search it and read it "smart Turkey" and remember knowledge is power, if there is a will there is a way....I am hanging on here, 5 minutes at a time.....I truly believe this when I say it: IF I CAN DO THIS, YOU CAN DO THIS.....I was just like you wanting to quit and not doing it, self sabotage everyday and so much guilt when I lay in bed at night before I went to sleep, I just felt bad about my 'secret' vaping habit, but now it is not a secret I am free of that ball and chain and feel good about my decision, you are the only one who can decide to quit and then jump into this community. I will you to find your passion in life that does not include putting a chemical into your throat and lungs - we are all here to help you and support you and WE KNOW THIS IS NOT EASY.

Truth: I now chew my nails HA!! another bad habit, oh well....   

PrimeNumberJD

I see 2 different yous, the one who posted this blog and seems like you are barely holding on, and a confident non-smoker helping others who are in need. I think you are more of a non smoker than what you realize!

If you've read Allen Carr's book, or perhaps at whyquit.com, can't remember which, than you'll know this. You are not in love with it nicotine, your brain has been duped into believing it was something you needed. You know better! Hand mouth, "relief" [from current withdraw], endorphin release, rinse, repeat. An endless viscous cycle that is not shrouded in secrets, but rather, coded in chemical reactions. I think you already know this, but it is helpful to reinforce this. 

"It was never love, it was only lust!" ~me, just now

Amlatt

Hi PrimeNumberJD - I have seen and read a lot of your posts in ExCommunity. You are the analytical scientist who tells people nicotine has left your body in 3 days, it was an addiction and now you are done. You are a problem solver.....and while I appreciate your input so much, please understand that I was in love with vaping. It was very pleasurable for me and I loved that it is was my little secret. I am a spiritual person, respected in my family and community, emotional as all get out, successful in work and life, also kind of a spacey and a fly by night spontaneous lady, I love a good party and hate to miss out on fun, and sometimes I guess maybe I am two people - lets get real here: I can be seven different people if I want as long as I do not vape anymore, right?  But I am posting here and paying close attention, because I am in the early stages of quitting using a vape, heavily, like every two - 20 minutes I was taking a puff, and now......I do not vape NOPE.  I waffle hourly today, riddled with cravings and longing (and yes, lusting) to vape, so I guess I am not going to sound too logical right now in my journey to an analytical mind set, and I am not trying to be strong for others or fit any one way in this world of addiction, but I am here for you and all others: showing how vulnerable I am and real and trying my darnest to quit this addiction and it is pretty hard and then sometimes it is easy  ..... so you are right I am a complicated women with many points of view.

Here is what I know: I am an EX Vaper 21 days strong and very proud of this, and ready to help people who are quitting vaping and I also have trepidation about No Mans Land....the next frontier of my quitting journey.  When does it get easier? 

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and big congrats on your first day won.  Reach out if you needs support.  We're here for you.

Barb

PrimeNumberJD

Anaylytical mind, yes. Logical mind, yes. Understand things that seem to not follow either, yes. 

The 2 people I mentioned seeing, are important, and I think maybe you might've taken that the wrong way. I love both those people, but one is stronger in their quit, and that is the one that is reaching out and helping those who need it. I am pointing that out because your mentality is changing, or at least I perceive so, and I hope you feel those words much more than the love of an abusive partner, your vape.

Analytically, the nicotine receptors created by your brain to absorb more nicotine begin to reduce to normal levels at the 3 week mark! Many of the elders will tell you that romanticizing nicotine is dangerous and will attempt to change your frame of reference. 

The big question, when does it get easier? For me, it got easier at about a month, but I didn't love smoking. I thought I did in past quits and that made it harder. That is when relapse will happen at 1.5 years, or 3 years, or 5+ years, as I'm sure you've seen those here. When you love something, you'll long for it, you'll keep it fresh in your mind; it will always be a thought. So, perhaps you absolutely loved it, I'll accept that; please understand that I don't believe you can fully enjoy not vaping if you are always longing for it; at the very least, work to feel indifferent about it so you can move on.  

It gets easier for each person at different lengths. No man's land hasn't been difficult for me being here on the ex. You've already started to beat your brain, it is changing to your will; impose your will upon it, or better yet, don't fight it, just get it on board with you! 

Statistics are only reinforcement to your quit, statistically speaking you and I shouldn't have made it this far. It comes down to a mentality; continue to adapt to the challenge and be aware what worked yesterday, may falter today.

Congrats on 22 days now! Kept doing what it takes to keep your quit! 

Ann007

Congrats on 21 days! I’m on day 6 as an EX Juuler. I appreciate you sharing your story & staying involved here. It REALLY does help us newbies! I was also a very enthusiastic vaper, though I hid it from everyone. All the news coming out now is making it easier for me. I consider myself fairly intelligent but I'm embarrassed to admit that I did not realize that none of this was regulated, approved, or tested. Wow. 

Ann007

That's so true what you say about being able to stop "loving" smoking/vaping! Without realizing exactly what I was doing, I think falling out of love & getting fed up with it have contributed the most to my quit this time. Thanks for putting it so eloquently! 

Ann007

Welcome from an EX vaper on day 6! This community has been a HUGE help to me this past week so stick around! We are all in this together! It is doable & it's been not too hard for me once I got past that first hour, morning, afternoon, etc. I think taking that first step is the biggest! Congrats! You can do this! 

asphaltcowboy

Congratulations on your 21 day quit. With patience and persistence you will find it gets easier. Keep hanging in there and welcome to the site

Giulia

/blogs/Giulia-blog/2015/09/21/when-does-it-get-easy   

Twenty-one days is a great accomplishment.  But your quit is still in its infancy.  I love the fact that you're teaching while you're learning.  Keep practicing what you preach and you'll get through this.  Wonderful first blog!

Expectations, Timelines and the Reality YOU Create 

Bellegonia

You are rocking this quit! And you absolutely will fight for your right to party - smoke free - when the time comes.

You GOT this!

Hugs

Belle

indingrl

CONGRATS and WAY TO GO - yes the brain gives YOU the info - YOUR mind let's YOU CHOOSE and make tbat decision just for YOU ONLY - suck on NICOTINE to die or CHANGE YOUR OLD ADDICT MINDSET  to .YOUR NEW MINDSET - NON SMOKER one BREATHE at a time-

jrgar1

Some thoughts on cravings, addiction and nicotine withdrawal. Nicotine has a finite cycle of metabolism in our physical nature. After a certain amount of time without using nicotine (some experts estimate three days) the drug is flushed from our system (drink lots of water) and we no longer physically withdraw. BUT! addiction most importantly to remember will not go away as for it's emotional, mental and spiritual facets. Facing and conquering cravings begins with dealing with these most abstract, baffling and powerful parts of all addictions. For most of us our nicotine addiction began in young adult hood. A long lasting addiction. Deeply rooted. Slowly but surely consuming our young growing addictive natures. After all these years will not go away by next Tuesday.  If we had used heroin or opiates for these many years we would have never survived! The feelings and emotions, (love, guilt, anger, remorse etc.) need to be addressed in a completely new creative way of thinking then we are used to in solving our problems. We will discover the supernatural power of our mental possibilities and better understand our emotional and spiritual natures as recovering addicts no longer enslaved to our addiction. We will do the thing we never thought possible. Living and dealing with life without using. Building on our victory over nicotine. Education is power! Reach out to groups and people who have made this journey. We discover we are not alone and may find we can help someone who also thought they were a hopeless case.

O.D.A.T. Never quit quitting...

Peace to all,

J. R.